Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cats • Page 34

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by oldjersey, Nov 20, 2018.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

@Fletchaaa out of curiosity, how costly did you find your bill? I'm wondering if it may be worth signing her up for pet insurance. Regardless I'll do whatever I can to keep her healthy, she's family and just as important as a human to me, but we've had a lot of unexpected expenses over the last couple months unfortunately :-/

2. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I don't remember exactly but I went to a low cost clinic and they had to put him under so it was still kind of expensive. I want to say like 400-500 dollars.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. RyanPm40

Ah ok thanks! That is a lot, but after paying $500 for a single human tooth extraction, I was worrying about being in the thousands if it did end up being multiple

4. RyanPm40

Phew, my cat's checkup went really well! Turns out it was a biiig piece of calcified tartar that got so hardened that it looked like a tooth. She had another and they scraped it off with their finger. Otherwise perfectly healthy, got her rabies shot, and took some blood that they'll call us back about tomorrow.

They were shocked that she's 9 and said she looks like she's 4. Hopefully that means she'll live a longer than average life! They had us do a dropoff for COVID concerns. Called ahead, they had us put her down next to my car and grabbed her when I closed my door. Really impressed with the precautions. Even saw them sanitize her crate through the door

FlayedManOfSF, Orla, Zach and 2 others like this.
  5. tomtom94

Trusted

Not gonna lie I had my heart in my mouth for a second here

Zach and RyanPm40 like this.
  6. RyanPm40

Haha oh no! I think I'd be too sad to be posting in here that soon after if that were the case xD

7. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

20201107_224119.jpg

8. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Oh my god

Fletchaaa likes this.
  9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

holy

Fletchaaa likes this.
  10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

E329BC9B-CB10-4C89-8DF1-B63315BA3B6F.jpeg
    it’s been a long day for her, i guess

11. Carmen SD

Trusted

I’m not sure if my cat ate plastic. He got into the food drawer and ripped two wet food pouches. I tried to “piece it back together” to see if any chunks were missing that I couldn’t find. I’m not sure. He hasn’t pooped since at least before 8 when I left for work and cleaned the litter box. He always poops, especially after eating. If no poop by morning then I’m taking him to the vet.

12. Carmen SD

Trusted

Called the vet. They said give it another day and call first thing tomorrow. No appt slots were open tomorrow in case. Also said if he ingested something I would have seen vomiting (haven’t yet). Keep him hydrated (trying), and pumpkin (have been on top of another treat that’s good for digestion)

RyanPm40 and Fletchaaa like this.
  13. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Chester having a good yawn

IMG_20201121_124252_749.jpg

tomtom94, imthesheriff and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. RyanPm40

Huh weird they said vomiting because we've definitely found pieces of a plastic bag in my cats litterbox without her ever vomiting.

She has an obsession with chewing on any possible plastic bag she can find. We try keeping it away from her, but if we absent mindedly leave out a shopping bag or a case of water bottles, she'll chew the shit out of it heh.

Wishing your kitty the best!

15. Carmen SD

Trusted

He pooped a little! Well it was the receptionist that said that and I’m assuming they’re a vet tech. Im not a vet tech or know anyone that is or is a vet so google is my friend. I also figured that maybe if he did ingest a small piece it come out in the box. But he has no other signs of an obstruction (that I’ve seen online). I’m extra paranoid because it’s the holidays and I’m still paying off his last vet bill. I also should probably invest in pet insurance.

I completely moved all the wet food pouches to my pantry because he got into the food drawer again and helped himself to breakfast. Then again and tried chewing on the treat bag. Since He’s now figured how to open that drawer and won’t stop.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. Carmen SD

Trusted

My cat pooped again but his stool color is concerning. A tiny bit is of lighter brown and the rest appears dark, almost black. I put it in a bag. He has an appt scheduled tomorrow and I’m going to call them again tomorrow morning to see if they still want him brought in. I looked online and it could be something called “melena”. Not sure if his urination is considered “frequent” as he’s not constantly making trips to the box but there’s large clumps. He has no other signs such as vomiting or decreased appetite. I’m a worried cat momma.

17. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Idk if anyone in here is looking for a camera to watch your babies while you are away, but I got this for my gf for Christmas, she just set it up, and it is awesome! You can talk through it to the cats, there is a very strong laser you can control, or set to go off on its own on a track to play with your cats, it has infrared vision at night, and it can turn 360 degrees, and can be mounted on the wall if need be. It has to be plugged into an outlet, but other than that it is great! I got it for $59 on Monday, it’s now back to $67, but I think it’s more than worth that price. In case anyone here gets anxiety like my gf does when she has to leave the cats on vacation or whatnot. You can pay $5 a month to store your camera recordings to the cloud for future viewing, but you don’t have to do that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z3RJGZD/?tag=absolutepunk-20

Took some pictures to show the quality of the camera! I am about 400 miles away.

3F806081-BDDE-4753-9C87-9F484A117A3D.png
    BCCA6D0A-05E2-405C-BC9C-68AEEB8E67B8.jpeg

Fletchaaa, oldjersey and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. RyanPm40

Damn that's super cool

19. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yeah that thing is wild.

20. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not a fan of using laser pointers with cats, but I am a big fan of having a pet camera. We got one last year and it's super fun to be able to peek in on them throughout the day (even though they're almost always just sleeping lol). Although we don't use it much these days since we're always home.

Zach likes this.
  21. Zach

Trusted Supporter

When we are there we tend use other toys (I don’t think we have owned one for like four years), but the crazy one in the picture loves to chase them.

Why don’t you like lasers, out of curiosity?

22. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I've read some things about how it's a frustrating toy for a cat because it activates their prey drive which makes them really want to catch it, but they never actually can, which can make them stressed or anxious and potentially act out in ways they wouldn't normally. Just some things I've read in articles over the years that make me not want to use one. (not trying to judge anyone that uses them, I think they do have the benefit of getting them exercise/mental stimulation)

I have seen some suggestions that if you're using a laser pointer to play with them - occasionaly stop the laser on a cat toy that they can "catch" so they get that sense of reward for hunting their prey.

Zach and RyanPm40 like this.
  23. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Interesting! I didn’t feel judged at all I was just curious! I can see how they would bother them. Funnily enough we always usually ended it on a toy or one of our feet or something!

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  24. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

E4DBE711-ECA4-4AE7-9DE0-2499811F399D.jpeg 7948EDBD-0A7F-4214-B673-2CB94196F455.jpeg

She loves resting her head on my footboard

25. RyanPm40

20201205_182335.jpg
    Love her little primordial pouch hanging over her feet lol

Put up the tree yesterday and she's constantly getting the zoomies and dive bombing under the tree skirt :-p