Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cats • Page 15

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by oldjersey, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Carmen SD

Trusted

It doesn't usually happen during pet sessions. Usually it's just random (or during play then I stop play time), and the kitty keeps trying. It gets to the point where I have to keep him in a separate room for a little while

2. currytheword

Trusted

Spray water bottle. Obviously don’t douse them or hit them directly. That’s how Binxy cat learned to stop trying to cut Achilles heels and going on tables.

3. Carmen SD

Trusted

I'm iffy on trying the spray bottle because I've read that it's very discouraged since it can make the cat afraid of you/may not work in all cases?, even tho I know people that use that method and it works for them

4. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

How old is the cat?

5. currytheword Jun 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 23, 2019)
    currytheword

Trusted

My cat is attached to me like white on rice. Never noticed a negative effect and I’d be affectionate when she would listen. I did it for like 2 years or so and never hit her directly. Would shoot it so it was like she was getting rained on, or so she’d at least see it happening. She caught on after a while. Eventually I would just need to lift the bottle and she would take the hint. Haven’t needed to do so in like 4 years now.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. Carmen SD

Trusted

I'm iffy on trying the spray bottle because I've read that it's very discouraged since it can make the cat afraid of you/may not work in all cases?, even tho I know people that use that method and it works for them
    around almost 2. Got him from SPCA that said he was about a year when I got him

7. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Spray bottle will be fine just don’t nail them with it. Two of our cats learned quickly, our oldest is feral and was abandoned as a kitten so he never had the socialization until we got his sister when he was over a year old, so he still has to get rained on every once in a while

currytheword likes this.
  8. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Our ten month old cat has started ripping up the underside of the bed and biting at the blinds. Tried the spray bottle a few times but she keeps going back. I'm hoping it's a phase so I don't have to put double sided tape under the bed so she won't scratch it. I guess the alternative is to block all entrances under the bed so she can't get in

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Similar issue with my cat, except she claws at the bed skirt and side of our mattress to wake us up for food at 4am. Drives us insane and a spray bottle doesn't work. We would close our door at night if our floors weren't carpeted, but she would just claw the carpet up trying to yank the door open so we can't close any doors :-/ I'll have to try double sided tape too

10. RyanPm40

Heh, the spray bottle definitely doesn't scare my cat anyway, she just runs away for 30 seconds and then is back at it again. Nothing phases her >_>.

But she probably is a bit feral. Before I adopted her, her previous owners left her stranded in a blizzard when their house foreclosed, and then in college my shitty roommates left the front door wide open and she went missing for 9 months, so she's pretty fearless at this point

11. Matt

It's hard to discipline her when she is such a sweetie otherwise lol

Dirty Sanchez and RyanPm40 like this.
  12. currytheword

Trusted

Flat scratch boards with catnip under your bed. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I don't go crazy with catnip but enough for her to claw at. I have a U-shaped basket underneath the coffee table she goes to town on right where she used to go for the rug. She doesn't have access to underneath my bed anymore thanks to the new bed frame, but that worked for me when she used to do the same.

Dirty Sanchez and Matt like this.
  13. Matt

Here’s a picture of sweet baby Luna

1C4BF7D5-9ACA-4063-826A-AC9226BA4204.jpeg

14. RyanPm40

Lol does anyone else's cat love to bite on and pull out thumb tacks from the wall?

I have lots of childhood photos on the ground behind my filing cabinet thanks to this little butthead :crylaugh: she just pulls them out, let's the photo drop, and then let's go of the tack

15. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Yeah I have a cork board in my kitchen that my one cat Roo used to attack constantly. She would pull out tacks and then bat them around. There's probably a whole bunch of them under my stove. She grew out of it (mostly) thank god.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. currytheword

Trusted

In more recent times, shoe laces are now my cats no. 1 priority. Oh new shoes for you? Let me just ruin your day.

No matter what toys I’ve bought, the only thing that’s been satisfactory is a pair of shoe laces specifically for her to fight with.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Update:

Medicine regimen has been fulfilled and Miss Demon is doing much better. She’s a bit mad at me for forcing a syringe in her mouth twice a day for a week, but I think she’ll get over it.

AEC2AA8F-A6DB-42AB-94FB-6399F037CC49.jpeg

Jason Tate, Dirty Sanchez and Zach like this.
  18. jorbjorb

7 rings

loving summer

19. BTDandFeelingThis

Dirty Sanchez and jorbjorb like this.
  20. jorbjorb

7 rings

It says that its a domestic cat on his birth certificate. I got him from a shelter. He does look like a russian blue though.

21. BTDandFeelingThis

Yeah he very much does look like one. Maybe he has some in him.

This is my Russian blue hair, Cesare. Smartest most talkative cat I’ve ever seen
    C6D4842A-2745-4767-B526-567A534F81A0.jpeg

jorbjorb likes this.
  22. jorbjorb

7 rings

that's like my grey fur ball!

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  23. BTDandFeelingThis

Yeah that cat definitely has some Russian blue hair. You can tell just by looking! Talkative and intelligent too?

24. jorbjorb

7 rings

I'd say he's talkative and smart. He loves being outside and being walked on a leash lol.

25. BTDandFeelingThis

Aww that’s adorable. Yeah he’s definitely a Russian blue hair. They’re some of the most clever domesticated cats out there. Mine knows how to jump up and open door knobs

jorbjorb likes this.