Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cats • Page 10

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by oldjersey, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Zach

Trusted Supporter

That is meant as a compliment lol

oldjersey and Jason Tate like this.
  2. Carmen SD

Trusted

I bought my cat Royal Canin because I heard thats a good brand. When I look online, it didnt make the top 10 of best dry foods? My cat has eaten Hills and Currently Blue Buffalo, both which are on the list. I thought about trying Wellness, but wasnt sure on how big the kibble was

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. supernovagirl Mar 24, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 25, 2019)
    supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Hmm. Interesting. I guess I haven’t done too much research, but my cat eats prescription royal canin and my vet is who prescribed it obviously. I want to trust him but also I dont trust anyone so

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. jmitch0906

Quorn

Meh, I have a tough time trusting vets that only recommend one brand of food. When I adopted one of my cats about 10 years ago, they said I had to give her Science Diet wet and dry food. Not only did she develop "acne" under her chin, the other adult cat at the time developed it as well. The Science Diet dry food left an oily residue in their dish and I believe that is what caused the acne on both cats.

I have a feeling that certain vets/animal hospitals/shelters are given money/coupons to push certain brands of food, without any regard for the quality of the food. I don't even want to research this as it would make me feel even more skeptical, since I think vets/shelters should be giving independent advice regarding our pets (but look at doctors and dentists)

mercury and supernovagirl like this.
  5. supernovagirl

Well it’s not rly the same thing as recommending one brand of food, it’s a prescription. And I mean sure the vet office probably has contracts with only certain brands of medication bc it’s not like a real doctor where there’s a pharmacy to go get the prescription. You know?

Also I’m sure that’s true, but like you said that happens with humans and doctors as well so...I mean we still go to doctors and take their medication? Bc at the end of the day I’m probably better off trusting the person with the medical degree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m sure they do get kickbacks for it but a good doctor/vet wouldn’t push something to harm you/your pet. Obviously that isn’t the case all of the time, otherwise we just wouldn’t go to doctors or vets lol

6. Zach

Trusted Supporter

The kitten science diet gave Finn acne as well, as soon as we changed him to a different food it went away. The shelter just gave us the bag of food to use though

supernovagirl likes this.
  7. jmitch0906

Quorn

Ah, ok, that makes more sense. Ya I was just disappointed that they recommended a specific brand of food and it ended up giving both of my cats acne under their chin.

Obviously it is a one off situation but it does worry me for pet owners who aren't as attentive as others.

8. supernovagirl

Yeah I would definitely be disappointed by that too! Like I said you’re supposed to be able to trust the doctor

jmitch0906 likes this.
  9. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Waiting for the day they can get the birdies on the feeder

F73D5D15-579B-4E81-B34A-C40BF461F607.jpeg

Arry, Fucking Dustin and RyanPm40 like this.
  10. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Lol that just reminded me of this time when my roommate got a bird and I was in the middle of doing homework when all of a sudden the thing swoops into my room, perches on top of my poster above my desk, with my cat scrambling after it and jumping on all of my homework. Scared the crap out of me haha.

The bird was safe though!

Zach likes this.
  11. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

We are very slowly integrating Meadow with Hamlet and Poe. We have had a couple times the past few days with them in the same room, didn't go great but definitely didn't go bad at all. I'm guessing/hoping that's normal. Meadow and Hamlet did fall asleep right next to each other for a little bit over the weekend. Meadow has been the one hissing a few times. I'm guessing she is just being protective. Idk.

supernovagirl and RyanPm40 like this.
  12. Zach

Trusted Supporter

If they sleep next to each other then it’s fine. It took three or four tries at least to get Gloria fully acclimated to Finn. Zwitter only took like two tries, Finn was fine but he had been outdoors and then brought into a foster home, so I think he is just a very chill kitten haha.

We were surprised that Gloria seemed more hostile seeing how sweet she is in general. I’d say it was at least a week before we felt comfortable relaxing with them all out, if not a little longer

13. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Also they slept next to each other and we don’t have pics?

CAEF3F01-44EF-4572-930E-001FD3FF0877.gif

14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

mercury, Arry, Fucking Dustin and 4 others like this.
  15. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I've got to make sure I play with Meadow a lot before bringing the other cats in. On Sunday we tried but meadow was so full of energy and just doesn't make for a good time to meet the other cats.

16. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Yeah those two are definitely fine, Meadow is probably just being protective like you said. Finn would growl when they got close to his wet food/toys that looked/sounded like real animals

supernovagirl and oldjersey like this.
  17. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Hamlet is the most gentle soul I have ever met so in theory if Hamlet is good with Meadow, we hope Poe sees that and accepts her easier? Haha no idea if it works like that. Poe is a sweetheart too hes just under a year old as well and super energetic. He's also twice the size of Meadow right now and only about 4 or 5 months older.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  18. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

The past three days or so we have had Meadow and Poe together, it's a lot of engaging play. And there is some hissing from Meadow, Poe is unfazed by it, and then after about a half hour or fourth minutes the playing gets real loud and they start making noise, ugh I hope this means progress is being made. The first day we only did like 10 minutes then today was like 40 minutes. Nothing disastrous.

19. Haha, our cats still after all this time every now and again will be brats and fight a little bit. The little one will get bit on the neck in a dominance thing and hiss at the bigger one when it happens. Or just take it and then meow loudly.

oldjersey likes this.
  20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yeah it feels much more playful and then instinct just kicks in sometimes. I never once felt like they were gonna legitimately hurt each other!

21. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Zwitter can be very rough still. Every once in a while Gloria gets tired of it and whoops his ass. Finn probably could too but hasn’t worked up the courage haha. It’s normal for them to make noises

oldjersey likes this.
  22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Okay good. Ive realized I only let this go on in the bedroom which makes meadow feel a little trapped and she thinks it's her kingdom cause she's been alone in the bedroom for the past week. So we are gonna open up the whole condo for all the cats tomorrow and patrol.

23. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Yeah that will probably help too, when Zwitter’s getting wild we shut the bedroom door so that they are within squirting distance lol

24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Within what distance?

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  25. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Within range of the squirt bottle if Zwitter gets too rough

RyanPm40 likes this.