Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cats (Tom Hooper, December 20, 2019) Movie • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by oncenowagain, Jul 18, 2019.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I need a Hooper Blank Check series.

2. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

theres nothing i want less

3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I disagree! It would be fascinating,
    Especially since the damned United isn’t bad.

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Looks like this has been pulled from Oscars consideration lol

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

What the PHUXCK

6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

No they’re just not promoting it anymore

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

The Taylor song isn't eligible lol

8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

My mom and grandma saw this yesterday and haven't stopped raving about how much they loved it. lol

9. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I have no intention of seeing this movie and have never been a fan of Cats the musical and I’m quite sure the cgi cats are horrifying, but I’m also of the theory that at least 25% of this backlash is because people had no idea what Cats was/what it’s about haha

Semi-related, does anyone remember those late night commercials about a Cats production on tape? I swear that was a thing

oncenowagain likes this.
  10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I was hoping I'd see this spectacle on the big screen, but I haven't gotten to Little Women or Uncut Gems yet, or finished Marriage Story, & I like the novelty of end of the year lists before the new year. So, looks like I have to wait for Redbox. Oh well.

11. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

You’re not crazy, it played alongside all those compilation CD commercials for The Beatles/The Rolling Stones/etc discogs lol

sawhney[rusted]2, AP_Punk and David87 like this.
  12. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes!! Thank you! Lol

AP_Punk and oncenowagain like this.
  13. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Every time Les Miserables came on tv I'd always end up watching some of that trainwreck

I imagine this will be the same

14. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I didn't think it was that bad lol. I liked the weird creepy cat look.

michael_gatto likes this.
  15. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

16. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

The only reason anyone should be subscribed to ScreenRant

17. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Jet-lagged as hell so fuck it I’ll see this tonight

18. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Might put you to sleep

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

from the sounds of it, you'd probably be up at night after watching this

20. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

In the theatre now about half way through

I am enjoying this and finding some parts of this moving.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

turn your phone off!

ComedownMachine likes this.
  22. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I’m in the theatre with 3 friends and we’re the only ones here. Being very loud criticizing the movie and looking up info on the background on their phones.

TJ Wells likes this.
  23. michael_gatto

Trusted

I saw this fever dream of a movie tonight. It's absurd as hell in the best way, destined to become a midnight movie. My theater maybe had 5 people in it, and 2 of them were children and at one point I heard one of them loudly just say "what" very confused. I felt that to my core. I was so entertained by this though.

24. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

My brother watched this yesterday and because I was interested to see his thoughts on this I asked him to write a review, which is a bit long but gets the point across.

Where do I start? Let's start with something positive, shall I? The ensemble cast and the handful of trained musical theatre performers are what salvaged this film from being a hot mess of a musical cash grab as clearly lightning doesn't strike twice re Les Miserable. Most notably, the lead performances of Francesca Hayward, Laurie Davidson, Steven Mcrae and Robert Fairchild are clearly leagues ahead of the supposed "talent" they hired for the film ala Rebel Wilson, James Cordon etc. The choreography was decent too. Being a predominantly dance-based musical I would have hoped it would be.

Now to the bad, the ugly and the downright bizarre. Now this list is quite extensive so I will try to make it as short and brief as possible. I'm sure you will get the idea after the first three or four points.

Let's start with the elephant (or should I say cat?) in the room, the CGI that the whole film relies on. Floating fur, cats wearing fur coats, cats unzipping themselves to reveal new outfits underneath (yes this actually happens), visible human hands, feet and mouths with human teeth. The whole thing feels incomplete and unpolished. I felt like I was watching something from the early '00s and even that could be considered offensive to films back then.

Next on this list is the "talent" they brought in. Firstly I have to say that when it comes to Dame Judie Dench and Sir Ian McKellen, whilst I can't discredit their talent and previous works I have to say, this film does them an absolute disservice. I can't begin to imagine why the director and makers of this film did not use them to their fullest potential and subjected them to be a part of this train wreck. In regards to the rest of the big names, I can only say one thing, why? Actually let me say something else, Rebel Wilson, James Cordon, Idris Elba, Jason Derulo, and Taylor Swift; big names do not equate to singing or acting ability. Some of you only have one of those two talents and some of you arguably have none *ahem* Rebel Wilson *ahem*. The few laughs from her character that they aimed for were met with overwhelming silence, this is in a packed out cinema screen. The only big name I can happily say gave a stand-out performance was Jennifer Hudson, weirdly enough the only one with a background in musical theatre.

Now besides all that, there were a few smaller details that were downright odd, for example, the bizarre placement of cuts between scenes and the strangely dark elements that just didn't suit the supposedly fantastical setting and tone of the film. Whoever decided that making children play the mice (who might I remind you are the prey) must have been on something to make that casting choice. There was even a moment where a cat lunges at one with a fork whilst the child screams "Run away!" and that's not even the weirdest thing that happens but alas I cannot say what that might be #spoilers.

Whilst I am an avid musical theatre fan myself, even I found the songs jarring when they suddenly began singing with no set-up or plot around the song, as most musicals do. Although I find this tends to be the case with most Andrew Lloyd-Webber musicals. The only memorable song in the whole debacle, ironically, was Memory sung by Jennifer Hudson and the new song featured was passable at best.

Now I know I said I'd make that as brief as possible and trust me, that was. Overall this film could have been something magical, but unfortunately this time the cat did not get the cream.

#worstcatfilmsincecatwoman

angrycandy likes this.
  25. yung_ting

Trusted

smoking every bit of weed I can find in my house before seeing this in a few hours, if you all could send some thoughts and prayers my way it’d be really appreciated

angrycandy and ComedownMachine like this.