Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cast Iron Cooking

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bobby_runs, Feb 12, 2020.

1. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Discuss any tip/tricks/recipes for the best cooking device ever created.

[​IMG]

Brent and Ken like this.
  2. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Oh hell yeah

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i like cast iron for some stuff (fish/i bake cornbread in one) but i still prefer grilling/baking/pan frying to cast iron stuff. it seems a little “fad”-y to me.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  4. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

not sure I'd call something that's been around for a few hundred years a "fad"

cast iron is great for certain things. I need to fix the seasoning on my pan, though. A few spots feel a bit sticky

5. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

My cast iron looks so sad and I can't manage to keep the seasoning on it. I always try to wash it right away and not use anything stripping on it but I can also be kinda lazy and re-seasoning after cooking may not always happen.:crylaugh:

Ken and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  6. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I love cooking with cast iron. Sometime it feels like cheating haha. Grapeseed oil is my go to for searing and seasoning. For general cleaning I used course salt and a scrub sponge.

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I wish I could get used to cooking with cast iron. May be something I start practicing more. Definitely works good for searing a nice piece of meat and then finishing it in the oven, but that's about all I can successfully do with one.

8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

how are you cleaning it exactly?

K0ta likes this.
  9. LightWithoutHeat

Ken likes this.
  10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I've purchased two lodge enameled cast iron dutch ovens and neither have lasted more than a year. I'm taking all of the precautions to maintain them. I think I'm buying a Le Crueset soon. I don't know what to do differently. Never use metal on them and I always hand wash.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  11. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Absolutely love my Le Crueset dutch oven. I've had it for about 6 years, and other than the label sticker coming off it still looks almost brand new. Check the outlet stores, they have 40% off sales all the time to make the price much more manageable

Ken likes this.
  12. LightWithoutHeat

I'm shocked to hear that. I have two myself that I use at least once a week and they are as good as the day I got them, which now is over 3 years ago.

Ken likes this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I wish I knew what was going on with them! I love their colors and they are so great at first, but my current one is worn so badly now that I am scared to use it.

14. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

So anyone suffering with cast iron on the electric stove top? I do and it sucks.

riotspray likes this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I did this for a few years. Electric stoves are the worst, but cast iron retains the heat so well that I think it's the best pan to use on an electric stove.

16. LightWithoutHeat

Me. If I’m using the oven I’ll throw it in there to bring up its temp before using it on the stove top. Helps a lot.

riotspray and Ken like this.
  17. jorbjorb

7 rings

i need one of these. @Ken what rig do you have?

Ken likes this.
  18. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

coleslawed and jorbjorb like this.
  19. jorbjorb

7 rings

Ken and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  20. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I can't remember if I have the 10.25 or the 12, but that's your call anyway.

jorbjorb likes this.
  21. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

The 10 is like $15. More than worth the price

jorbjorb, coleslawed and Ken like this.
  22. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

The enamel Dutch ovens may look nice but they’re not made for high heat cooking (such as sourdough baking). Better off just investing in a good heavy duty cast iron one and dealing with the hassle of cleaning/seasoning.

jorbjorb and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I cook in my 10” Lodge for 90% of my cooking. most of that is brunchish meals on my days off, but the seasoning in that thing is coming along beautifully.

jorbjorb likes this.
  24. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Kosher salt and water, can you use a scrubber on it or does that strip the seasoning?

Ken likes this.
  25. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

you can use the scrubber side of a sponge. you can use mild soap if you need to also

K0ta and Ken like this.