Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cassino – “Rose of Lee” (Song Premiere)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 17, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Cassino will be releasing their new EP, Bottlenecker, on May 27th and today I’m excited to premiere the new song “Rose of Lee” from it. You’ll find that below and can pre-order the album on iTunes. Nick, talking about the song said:

This song was the first one written after Kingprince. We had some of the same guys who played on Kingprince jam on this record. They tour with bigger pop-country acts, so it’s entertaining to let them loose and see what they come up with. Their understanding of the mathematics of music is interesting to me because they hear the songs sometimes at a different angle. We recorded this record in my friend’s log cabin north of Nashville in the snake infested woods of Smiley Hollow. It had two creeks and was fairly quiet most of the time. Ed said there was a wolf like creature haunting the woods around the house, and the dogs wouldn’t go outside. I came to the conclusion it was maybe some version of Ed’s soul haunting himself. Or a malamute.

Cassino was formed in 2005 by Nick Torres and Tyler Odom, the two principle songwriters of Alabama-based rock group Northstar. It was an organic genesis that came to light through a creative bond that existed for years between childhood friends.
    They began recording their debut album, Sound of Salvation, in 2006 with Nashville-based producer/drummer Craig Krampf, known for his work with artists like Dolly Parton, Alabama, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Perry and Melissa Etheridge. While the record didn’t have a specifically Nashville sound, the city did become prevalent in the writing & recording process, both as a new environment to inspire songwriting and in the cast of characters brought in by Krampf. Featuring contributions from E Street Band bassist Garry Tallent and legendary saxophonist Jim Horn, Salvation was released independently in March 2007.

Cassino settled down and started working on another record in early 2008. Odom exited the process (he now plays with the group Destry), and Torres teamed up to write primarily with Alabama native and longtime friend Edward Puckett. Puckett filled in on bass for the earlier Cassino tours, and through constant exposure, they found that their similar tastes and different styles complimented each other well. They set up shop in a small apartment and wrote & recorded for most of 2008. The city of Nashville this time found its way into the recording process through the contributions of friends and session/touring musicians Kevin Arrowsmith (fiddle, banjo, mandolin) Tripper Ryder (bass) and Craig Krampf (drums, percussion). This endeavor became Kingprince, and was released in December 2009. An EP of unreleased versions of songs from the Kingprince sessions followed in 2011, titled The Weight of Bother.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. TellYourFriends

Lexington, KY Prestigious

Really enjoy this on the first listen through. I think I like it a little more than that first song too. Has it been said anywhere if this is a digital only release?

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I think the plan (and I could be wrong) was to release first half of album as an EP digitally, then release the entire thing as a full album at a later date. Once the entire album is released, I think there will be some vinyl released.

4. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Good to see Cassino's still got it. I've loved both of the new songs

5. TellYourFriends

Lexington, KY Prestigious

Nope, you're right. I remember seeing that somewhere now. Thanks for the reminder!

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

In lieu of this EP and then album, one of the music podcasts needs to do an episode with Nick. Have a nice long-winded discussion about Northstar, early Cassino, and the new record. One of the few bands that stopped and never really talked much since.

7. danielinskeep

Photo Guy

Really enjoyable. I wish Cassino would be a full-time thing for Nick, but I guess when something does get released or a show booked, it's a real treat.

8. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

This band deserves way more recognition

suppyguppy likes this.
  9. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

It's impossible not to be in a good mood when this band comes on.

10. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Definitely like this song more than the last one. Both were really good. I am ready for this release.

11. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

Went to see if this version was on Youtube and the original version of it is 4 years old already....regardless I love it and them.

12. jco3

Regular

Really like these guys. Great song.