Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial (May 20, 2016) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Mar 24, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

reported for one word post

2. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

did you guys know cwhit knows the person on the radio show i had no clue

3. EngineDown

i think part of my cooling on this record comes from lvl up releasing a better record in the same lane afterwards

4. cwhit

i think of those records in pretty separate realms, tbh. i mean they're both indie rock records but i feel they're directed at very different approaches

5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Part of my cooling on this record is bc cwhit talks about it too much

EngineDown and Chaplain Tappman like this.
  6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Fallon performance was good af

7. cwhit

8. SPine

Trusted

I'm late to the party but this album rules

9. cwhit Dec 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 7, 2016)
    cwhit

10. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

11. cwhit

i don't like it close to as much as the album version but it's not bad, haha. the album version is just magical

12. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I dont think the new version is better but i still really enjoy it.

13. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

This is finally connecting with me. I'm loving it now.

cwhit likes this.
  14. Top 3 of the year for sure

15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

this album is ridiculously good huh

16. cwhit

yup

17. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I've been listening to this a ton recently, high on my list of favorites this year.

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

It's good but I've had very little desire to return the last few months.

EngineDown likes this.
  19. EngineDown

sameeeee

20. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Extremely overrated but good record

21. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Got it yesterday on my local shops Boxing Day sale, can't wait to sit down with his lyrics

Easily one of the best records in recent memory, one of few that deserves the excessive praise it gets imo

cwhit likes this.
  22. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I listen to this at least once a week and don't get tired of it at all

dadbolt and Joel like this.
  23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I enjoy listening to this a ton, but I still think it's crazy the level of praise this gets. I essentially think if you went back in time and put Car Seat in the 90s, indie rock would be exactly the same -- the wheel has not been reinvented. I love this and everything but it seems like the praise this gets critically is a result of weird nostalgia for a time a lot of people didn't live in.

Which is fine, it's not like it's hurting anyone or anything, I just feel like it's a disconnect that should be addressed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. cwhit

i mean the reason why this record was so big is because the critical music world was missing a big classic sounding dude led indie rock band, and this is the band who put out the best record who would fill that gap. it's less of pushing forward and more of trying to hold onto what these indie publications used to grab hold to, especially in a year where the most critically acclaimed records moved far outside the norms of what these publications used to write about and champion

25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that's part of my point though. This is well written indie rock, no question -- but does indie rock really need another classicist approach to it? It's not like there's any shortage of white dude led 90s worship, anyway; like someone said, Lvl Up also did a record like this and I think they're comparable. But Lvl Up is still doing interesting things with indie rock, like injecting a healthy pop element in a way that's more overt than a lot of the bands from that 90s era (with the exception of Built to Spill), and grabbing songwriting elements from other genres to strengthen that approach they take. Meanwhile, Car Seat is getting praise for the throwback sound, while the last few years have been rife with these same publications asking "is indie rock dead? Why isn't it interesting anymore?" Etc etc. Not to mention, a lot of these pubs have rightly pointed out that other, less guitar driven genres are still fresh and interesting because they put a premium on progression and stylistic shifts. Indie rock does not do that often, which is why people complain it gets stale, but still cheer when someone is performing that sounds like Pavement and also why emo has gotten a bunch of new attention in recent years. It's just weird to want it both ways.
    Also, I don't think this shouldn't be praised, I just think it's getting praised for the wrong things. This album does LOTS of interesting things that indie rock is no longer self conscious about. The little post modern flairs are very cool, not seen very often outside of concept albums, like copping the vocal melody to White Flag, deconstructing some indie tropes, the general usage of intertextual communication -- that's really cool stuff that could get talked about more.

Gjpeace and cwhit like this.