Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Captain, We’re Sinking – The King of No Man

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Captain, We’re Sinking’s The Future Is Cancelled was one of the most impressive punk albums in recent memory. It’s a tense listening experience, as songs burst and crash with little warning; vocalists Bobby Barnett and Leo Vergnetti jumped between near-inaudible whispers and throat-damaging howls at the drop of a dime, singing harrowing stories of depression, alcoholism, and suicide. It all felt spontaneous, necessary.

The King of No Man feels a bit more rehearsed. Where before the band had more jagged edges, they’ve smoothed them over. Instead of finding catharsis through ragged shouting as on The Future, No Man finds it in quieter moments, to varying effects. Opener “Trying Year” ushers this new era of Captain, We’re Sinking in appropriately, pumping the brakes every time one would think Barnett’s getting ready to let loose (although he or Vergnetti does sneak a pretty impressive guitar solo in there). “Hunting Trip” is a slowburn comparable to “A Bitter Divorce” with a less intense payoff, finding Barnett singing the song’s climactic final lines over a clean guitar line. It feels a bit toothless in the end, like there should’ve been a little more push to end out the song, and it sort of sputters out rather than exploding. Then there’s “Dance of Joy,” a bizarre, drum-led song that would never fit on The Future Is Cancelled. It’s weird to even think the same band wrote this song and “Shoddy Workmanship,” but it ends up being one of the album’s highlights, due in good part to Vergnetti’s powerful vocal performance.

While the softer moments may be more indicative of the album as a whole, there are certainly a couple of moments on No Man when the band returns to the heavier territory of The Future Is Cancelled. One, appropriately, is “The Future Is Cancelled, Pt. II,” an unpredictable start-and-stop punk song that feels like a perfect bridge from the last record’s aggression to this one. The best song on the record is “Smash 2,” which perfectly captures the urgency of The Future Is Cancelled. Its shifts from quiet intro to frenetic verse to pop-punk chorus would feel absolutely jarring in the hands of a lesser band, but Captain, We’re Sinking execute it perfectly. But elsewhere is “Don’t Show Bill,” the heaviest song in the band’s catalog, borrowing heavily from the Discord Records sound. It falls a little flat here though – the more abrasive moments always worked in contrast to the poppier parts of this band’s songs, and the straight-up hardcore song falls flat, particularly placed before the slower “Cannonless.”

The King of No Man ends up as a bit of a disappointment. While a good listen overall, it’s hard to not to miss the energy of The Future Is Cancelled. Even though this album’s best moments aren’t too far off from the highs of their last, No Man does away with a lot of what was so appealing about that record. What it replaces them with is good, for sure, but it’s hard not to wonder how much better the album would be if they had gone in the opposite direction.

2. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

It's growing on me still but I have the same general feelings, good review

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  3. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

I never really got into TFIC. I heard people talk about it and always meant to give it a listen but never really got around to it. So as someone who's never heard that album in full, I haven't stopped listening to the new one since it started streaming. It gets better with each listen and I can't get enough of it! It's currently my #3 for the year behind Menzos and Bleachers.

Now I'm a little scared to listen to TFIC cause I'm worried it'll make me not like this one as much haha.

4. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Definitely agree with your review and sentiments. Really enjoyed reading this one.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  5. AgainstMe182

Great review. I wanted to like this so badly but it falls just a tad short. I might have had too high expectations after TFIC. There's definitely a few gems here and there.

Ryan Gardner and Zac Djamoos like this.
  6. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

great review way better than that one sputnikmusic review, whoever wrote that was a major dweeb

i def like this one more than you zac which is surprising 2 me

Jason Tate and Zac Djamoos like this.
  7. I think I like this record more than you but generally my opinion is the same. The new stuff they try is just not as good as their old strengths- but nonetheless, this is still far better than many similar bands records this year.

8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Thank you all for reading! I'm a little bit surprised (and kind of upset ha) to see how many people agree with me here.

Only one of us got rted by the band tho!

The more I listen to this the more disappointing it becomes. The songs I like stack up to TFIC - Smash 2 is maybe a top five song by this band - but it's nowhere near as consistent. If it was another band I would probably like it more, but coming off an all time great it's underwhelming as hell. I'm glad you like it so much though - favorite song?

Ryan Gardner and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

lol. well for what its worth i think your review is wonderful and better than mine so :P

i guess maybe i just didnt go into this prepared to compare it to TFIC i just took it as an album. might be why im more keen on it. Smash 2 and Cannonless are my two favs for sure

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  10. Leftandleaving

Let's not be hasty here!

Idk, I honestly just don't think the songs are as strong on the whole. I think it starts off pretty poorly, picks up with cannonless, and then loses steam toward the end. Don't think they played to their strengths really. Cannonless is top notch - interesting that almost everyone seems to agree that that's one of the best here, given how unpopular Leo was on TFIC

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  11. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Probably because the expectations were especially high for Bobby's songs

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  12. terps12

Regular

TFIC is one of my favorite albums of all time. I've been listening to this pretty non-stop for the past week, so I definitely enjoy it.

I feel like this would have benefited from the way Modern Baseball laid out Holy Ghost (with a Bobby side and a Leo side). Leos songs on this feel more cohesive together and I think the alternating actually causes some awkward transition between songs at times. Stylistically, I think Bobby's songs are all over the place -- Smash 2 would fit on TFIC, Don't Show Bill and Trying Year are so vastly different than anything released up to this point and vastly different from each other and the 3 full band versions of the solo songs sound great together, but again, different than the rest of the album. I guess if they wanted to repurpose that many songs, I would have preferred for all of Bobby's tracks to come from the Little Wounds album and put out a 7 inch with Smash 2 & Trying Year on it. Maybe put Do You Think I'm Happy and Little Wolf on the full album?

There was no way this album could have lived up to TFIC for me. It's still very good and will likely be a top album this year for me, just falls a bit short.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  13. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Great review @Zac Djamoos. I pretty much agree with all of it. "and it sort of sputters out rather than exploding" explains not only Hunting Trip but a few of the songs.

Only one technical correction to the review, and that's that neither Bobby nor Leo performed the "solo" on Trying Year. It was actually Ben from Tiger's Jaw.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  14. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I am only now trying to get into this band after seeing them at Fest and grabbing a copy of TFIC. I haven't listened to it all that much cuz it didn't come with a digital copy. This new one seems to be grabbing me more immediately than TFIC. I know they have two singers cuz I saw them play, but I can't tell the difference on record. Can you tell me which songs are sung by which dudes on the new one so I can train my ear to tell the difference??

15. Leftandleaving

Thanks! Sorry to hear you agree, haha, and I'll need to edit that later oops.

Every other song they trade off. Bobby does trying year, don't show bill, smash 2, hunting trip, crow/little wounds, and king of no man. Leo does the others

16. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Ok thanks! I always seem to have trouble identifying co-vocalists and then later go back and think I was an idiot. Took me seeing live videos of the Menzingers back in the day to realize it was two dudes.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  17. josh.hofer

This album was high on my most anticipated list. I want to like it and maybe it will grow on me... but the biggest hurtle IMO is the overall production. It sounds like a mixtape.

18. Leftandleaving

Even as a huge fan of this band it took me a couple listens to discern them on this album, so I feel that. They've got fairly similar ranges. I'll never understand the menzingers thing tho haha

19. terps12

Regular

Zac nailed it -- and the older record is mostly Bobby. Leo does verse 2 (and when she sleeps...) of Annina, (all of) The Future Is Cancelled pt. 1, Beer Can, Here's to Forever along with a few pieces of some others.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  20. terps12

Regular

Zac nailed it -- and the older record is mostly Bobby. Leo does Annina in verse 2 (and when she sleeps...), (all of) The Future Is Cancelled pt. 1, Beer Can, Here's to Forever along with a few pieces of some others.

Bobby is generally the higher pitched while Leo is a little raspier.

21. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

did you go to college park???

22. terps12

Regular

Zac, have you been able to distinguish on their first record (CWS not the Menz)? The production quality makes it impossible for me to determine who sings which songs.

23. terps12

Regular

2006-2010. You?

24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

2011-2015, hah. i was big in WMUC, brought a ton of cool bands in that time.

to get on topic and not feel like i'm spamming in here, i think this album is good but it's missing of the magic of the last. some really good songs (future is cancelled pt 2 especially) but the production quality brings this down a notch for me and there's just some quality that i can't explain that's missing here. i feel this quite a bit with some bands, they just hit some special magic in an album that's just so hard to replicate

25. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I think I like Leo better, at least on the new one that I am more familiar with.