Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, March 8, 2019) Movie • Page 34

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Blimp City Hero, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I don't necessarily agree with all that but always here for some Iron Man 3 love

Jonathan and BornToRun like this.
  2. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I don't think there's that big a gap between either of those tiers, if you're in either one you're doing pretty good

JimmyIymmiJ and RyanPm40 like this.
  3. Zach

Trusted Supporter

First Incredibles I didn’t like, the second one I enjoyed quite a lot

4. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

this deserves to go everywhere

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Finally saw this. It’s entirely enjoyable and passable, but feels like a step back after the recent streak.

drewinseries and Davjs like this.
  6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This was enjoyable enough

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen Mar 31, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 31, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I have a hard time morally being like yay a billion dollars but congrats Brie

Jonathan, coleslawed and ChaseTx like this.
  8. Davjs

Trusted

Went Saturday night and it was still packed. The first half is a ton of fun. After the twist it falls off quite a bit, but was never bored and it was overall enjoyable.

9. Has this been mentioned already? (didn't know which link to link to so here's the search I did)

https://www.google.com/search?q=male+critics+on+captain+marvel

edit: I'm actually thinking of a particular post on facebook of a screenshot of a post on tumblr, but I'm not digging through my newsfeed to find it again.

10. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

I enjoyed this, was just as good as most of these movies imo

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

thought this was the worst marvel i've seen in quite some time or ever. Maybe i was in a bad mood or something but i thought this was just so poor for marvel standards. It felt lazy, cheap, easy, boring, by the numbers. Not a fan at all.

flask and drewinseries like this.

12. While I did enjoy it, I definitely understand this perspective. I never saw anything from Boden/Fleck before, but I saw this video and they don't seem very enthusiastic about the film or in general.

I don't know them enough to know if any of their personalities as directors made it into the movie but it felt like the jokes and overall vibe came from just Marvel.

There definitely was an overall sensation of emptiness despite its good moments.

Davjs likes this.
  13. ship90

Trusted

I think that’s a little nitpicky about the directors in that video imo. But yeah, Marvel does steer the ship, but sometimes you get those great little moments (Carol and Maria in Louisiana).
    This movie suffers from a lot of the same things that are present in most Marvel films. Pretty bland score for the most part (sorry Pinar Toprak!), blah visuals and fight sequences, etc but this movie rises above those issues for me.

This isn’t in response to anyone in particular but I found this tweet thread just really nailed what I love about this movie

smoke4thecaper and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

coleslawed and ship90 like this.
  15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

So... it sold more than WW?

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

17. domotime2

Huh how about that. I assumed ww made it to billion too but hey I guess that's the power of marvel. It looks like ww and marvel will do the same domestic when it's all said and done but captain marvel crushing ww globally

18. Davjs

Trusted

As strange as this is to say, I think only Aquaman crossed the billion dollar mark for DC haha.

19. Wonder Woman did insane numbers domestically with ~$412m (Captain Marvel is currently at $358m) but didn't do as well comparatively in international markets.

20. The fact that Momoa is AAPI was a big draw for me; not sure if it's the same for people abroad.

Edit: I'd like to think Captain Marvel is doing well internationally because it's the first female lead in the MCU.

21. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I think it's doing well because Marvel made this gigantic universe with 20 movies now and you're kind of forced into watching them so you can stay in the loop and be caught up on everything. She obviously is going to play a big part in Endgame which is on everyone's mind right now.

domotime2 and Davjs like this.
  22. domotime2

Exactly. I only saw this for this reason.

23. Davjs

Trusted

Marvel has done such a great job, that the MCU banner itself will sell a movie even if the general public isn't familiar with the characters, like Cap Marvel or the Guardians.

24. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I see where you’re coming from. It’s hilarious, my parents enjoy the marvel movies, but eye-roll at how into them I am. They pick and choose which films to see, which ultimately is a tad detrimental, and some they see out of order. They don’t pick up on references, call-back jokes, etc — but mostly they miss out on character development. My dad enjoys science fiction books/tv etc, but he never read superhero comics growing up, or any comics. His actual quote after every Marvel film “I enjoyed that, but I swear every film is just setting up the next.” However, that’s how TV shows work too! He does LOVE law and order, he’s seen every episode dozens of times, and he/my mom loved Star Trek Next Generation, but those two shows you can mostly watch out if order and still enjoy.

25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

My parents loved Iron Man 1, Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok. They had absolutely no interest in seeing Infinity War and won’t see Endgame. I admire their commitment to pick and choose.

Jonathan likes this.