Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, March 8, 2019) Movie • Page 32

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Blimp City Hero, Oct 24, 2017.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’m going to always be upset that Quicksilver is only in one MCU film. I think the twins are the best part of Age of Ultron. I also like Banner and Clint.

2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

There are good parts, but the bad outweighs them by a lot.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I'm doing an MCU rewatch right now, my thoughts so far are that Iron Man 2 is... good, and a bit better than I remember, but The Incredible Hulk is almost unsalvageably terrible in every way. the recast of that character was the best thing they ever did

dreading having to sit through The Dark World again for the last time in my life

4. Davjs

Trusted

I've never understood the hyperbole around how one cringy scene between Banner and Widow and a 5 minute cave bath scene with Thor ruins a movie packed full of great character moments, comedy and action set pieces ripped straight off a comic page. The opening, party scene, hulk buster fight, spader ultron, vision.... it all ruled. Even Tony and Steve chopping wood was entertaining haha.

5. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Those aren't the scenes that ruined it. The story ruined it. The way they portrayed Ultron and how easily they defeated him, the banter/jokes between characters were cringey, the way they introduced and killed off Quicksilver, the fact Tony gets off with no consequence even though he almost destroyed the world, the twist of Hawkeye having a wife and kids, how easily Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver are manipulated and then just switch sides on a dime, the pacing of the movie, etc.

There's just a lot wrong with it. There's a good movie buried in there. There was even concept art and an idea to have the final battle be a giant Ultron made up of thousand of Ultron robots and that would have been cool, but we just got a mess instead.

6. Rowan5215

just everything around Vision in that movie is crazy bad, too. and yeah it pretty much character assassinated Stark completely in my eyes, hard to sympathise with his side in Civil War at all after the shit he pulled

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

8. Davjs

Trusted

While I don't personally think a lot of those things are issues and I enjoyed them, thanks for the response. I typically only hear people complain about Thor's cave bath and the Banner/Widow thing so your pov makes more sense now. I loved Vision, esp his convo with Ultron at the end.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The Bruce & Nat thing is more than "one cringy scene," though that mishandled moment (which could've been a tasteful look at a character regretting lost agency, but Whedon's bad at tasteful treatment of women) is the low point of that subplot. The angle felt out of left field & not in line w/ Nat in general, though. And, there was that bad Bruce-falls-on-Nat's-boobs shot, which he used again in Justice League. Whedon's unearned reputation for "empowered women," just 'cause they're quippy & fight, really broke down there. That awful prima nocta joke certainly doesn't help.

Still, there is a good film buried in there. Take out the misogyny, take out the Infinity War setup, & put back a small deleted scene from early on that showed a little more of Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch's humanity. Probably other moments I'm forgetting that need trimmed. Then, you'd have easily the best Avengers film. It's just, unlike w/ my underappreciated fav ASM2, the bad elements in AoU take me out of the film.

Both sequences of just hanging out rule. And, Vision rules.

awakeohsleeper and Davjs like this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’ve always disliked Tony Stark’s prima nocta joke.

He might have said it in Iron Man 1 or 2 but after Avengers 1 and Iron Man 3, I felt like Stark’s personality changed. Whedon was simply stuck 5 years in the past.

11. DeathOrGlory Mar 24, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 24, 2019)
    DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I like the reveal that Hawkeye lives a normal, happy life with his family on a farm when he's not helping out the Avengers. That and the speech to Scarlet Witch in Sokovia really fleshed out his character and made me like him a lot more. AoU was underwhelming in my opinion, but a lot of the character stuff was good.

12. Rowan5215

The First Avenger is still easily my favourite movie in Phase One, apart from a very cheesy montage I really don't know what people dislike about that one

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  13. Zach_In_RI

Just watched it the other night and I’m always disappointed by it. Everyone phoned it in making that movie.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. Rowan5215

it's especially frustrating given that the other sequels in Phase 2 all went above and beyond and got better than their first movies (yeah I love Iron Man 3 sue me)

The Dark World takes the multiple bad parts of the first Thor and stretches them out so that the very few good parts are completely non-existent. and it wastes Christopher Eccleston as a villain. what a shitshow

15. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I liked TDW more than the first Thor. Neither are great movies.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

thenewmatthewperry, RyanPm40 and K0ta like this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

ChaseTx, Greg, Jonathan and 3 others like this.
  18. Davjs

Trusted

Haha I never noticed it was in both movies but you are right (I would place money on it being a Whedon scene in JL). Nice catch! I think it honestly works in JL though as a visual gag since Flash freezes in embarrassment for a second and then the next frame he's standing off to the side blushing which fits his character in the movie. In Avengers it was unnecessary though.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was curious to see how this is doing, and then I saw that Black Panther number. Jesus.

upload_2019-3-27_9-37-30.png

20. Davjs

Trusted

Crazy that the first Spiderman is still that high!

Also Batman Begins needs to be higher!

21. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Especially with inflation

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Adjusted it sits at $627 million, but I still don't think that is even a fair number given the influx of 3D and IMAX since then.

23. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Big hero 6 forever

coleslawed and Davjs like this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

Disney animation is terrible at doing sequels.

This movie deserves it so bad, but it'll probably be a case like Incredibles where it takes 13 years. They are quick to move on Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 though :tear:

25. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Frozen and TS3 each made almost $500million more worldwide, of course they greenlit those sequels first, lol. Smart on their part.

I adore Big Hero 6. Haven't watched it in a while though.