Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, March 8, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Blimp City Hero, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

[​IMG]

I figured I'd get this going with the news that Ben Mendelsohn is in talks to join the film, reportedly as the main villain who should be a leader of the Skrulls.

At SDCC this year, it was revealed that this will actually take place in the 1990s, with Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson, of course) co-starring with Captain Marvel herself (Brie Larson) to take on the Skrulls. Other words said that her origin, Mar-Vell and her original costume will have some place in the movie.

This should be pretty big, as Captain Marvel has been confirmed for Avengers 4, which would come out 2 months after this.

Directors: Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck
    Writer: Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Nicole Perlman and Meg LeFauve did previous work)

Brie Larson as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel
    Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
    Ben Mendelsohn as TBD (villain/Skrull?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

into it

3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

So is the theory that Avengers 4 is now going to be about (or at least feature) the Skulls?

4. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

It's possible to be in the Secret Invasion range. Not like we've confirmed, but my guess would be one or maybe even more Avengers are killed in Infinity War and found to actually be Skrull imposters. In general, I know they got Spider-Man, but moving this movie from July 2018 to March 2019 makes a lot more sense now. It seems like Carol will have a big impact on Avengers 4.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It'll be fascinating to see how that kind of scenario would play out - and whether the general public would be receptive to it.

6. tucah

not champ Prestigious

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Phew it's a mentor role, I was worried they'd make him Carol's love interest for a second which would be lame

Anthony_ likes this.
  8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Not knowing anything about her backstory... is it essential Captain Marvel has a male mentor? I guess I was excited in my head for the first MCU sole female lead film and that picture didn’t have a man guiding her new powers!

9. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

She gets her powers from the original Captain Marvel, who Jude Law seems to be playing a version of, so it makes sense that they're keeping that backstory. I would have loved if they had just made Carol Danvers the original version in the movie universe but if they're going to do it straight, Jude Law is a good casting choice.

10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Wonder if they'll keep his character's name "Mar-Vell."

11. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I'm sure it'll be somewhat involved. While not as cocky as Star Lord, I could see it being mentioned while he usually goes by Walter.

One thing I wonder is if they bring back Lee Pace as Ronan due to the time difference. Not that I think he has to be in it, but Ronan was involved with Mar-Vell's story here and there.

12. Tim

I somehow hadn't thought of that. I'd love to see Ronan in a significant supporting role, depending on the type of story this ends up being. Would potentially be a great way to retroactively give him some depth.

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Fair enough, that makes sense then!

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Would’ve been even better if they had kept the mentor angle but made it a woman instead.

15. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I agree.

Anthony_ likes this.
  16. Tim

I mean, he's a pretty significant character in Carol's life. Which, not all significant elements of comics' problematic history deserve adapted, but I'd say Mar-Vell is very worth adapting.

I'll never complain about gender-swapping traditionally male characters, but with all the significant women they can include in this film (like Tracy Burke and Helen Cobb in mentor roles and Monica Rambeau as her peer), I don't think this particular character needs left out. Just take inspiration from Kelly Sue's run to make sure Carol is surrounded by other women, and look Marvel's stable of Kree characters to make sure the named, speaking Kree aren't all dudes.

If Kelly Sue was comfortable revisiting Mar-Vell's place in Carol's life instead of downplaying it, then I'm confident that his role isn't inherently problematic. (Though, obviously a lot depends on execution and, again, who else is included in the film.)

Side note: I hope they give Mar-Vell cancer in this movie. Would be a great homage to the classic Death of Captain Marvel story while also adding more pathos to his interactions with Carol.

17. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I agree with this as well.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

19. Tim

Wonder who she's playing. Monica Rambeau would be cool.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Anthony_ and Tim like this.
  21. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

This is still my most-anticipated Marvel movie. haha

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’ll be more excited once I start to see set pieces or a trailer. I have no idea how this film is going to look with the 90s setting and her cosmic origin.

23. Tim

I'm really looking forward to seeing Brie Larson suited up.

24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Brie Larson decked out as Captain Marvel and her powers are two things I can be excited for. Nick Fury will be good as well and it will be the first proper role since Winter Solider.

25. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I've been trying to stay away from trailers if I know I'm already gonna see the movie, but damn I cannot wait to see some footage from this.