Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Captain America: Civil War (Joe & Anthony Russo, 5/6/2016) Movie • Page 20

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Nope

2. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

It was explained that the airport evacuation was due to Stark pulling strings/making the call to eliminate collateral damage.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

And I mean that would make perfect sense considering the plot of the film.

RyanPm40, Tim and RobbieBerns like this.
  4. Greg

Who would have thought this and BvS would both open with one of the hero's parents getting murdered.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  5. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

This was incredible.

I'm so ready for Homecoming.

ghostedaway likes this.
  6. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

That BvS got a ton of flack for outright explaining situations/settings where innocent civilians wouldn't be harmed yet no one has criticized Civil War for the same thing.

?

I guess I'll have to judge when I see it, and it's not like it's something that bothers me, just think it's a reaction to the MoS criticism that comic book movies will have to acknowledge from here on out.

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I don't recall that much of that? I remember more criticism and ridicule of Batman's disregard for collateral damage when trying to get that Kryptonite. (And, a lot of other major story complaints in that film.) Plus, Stark is working with world governments and has like 36 hrs to plan, so it makes sense, especially with his goal to stop collateral damage. Plus, I'm pretty sure people laughed at Age of Ultron's major emphasis on evacuation into the final act (which clearly wasn't enough).

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I guess they have to keep making Captain America movies until every Community cast member gets a cameo

I guess I'm the only one who really felt for Wanda/thought Lizzie did a great job

9. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Oh man, I read a number of reviews where they were talking about how corny/silly it was the movie was making a point to explain that.

Doesn't really matter, though, that movie has a ton of other problems, and I expect this to be significantly better, just find some of things that people harped on silly when they ignore similar things with Marvel.

10. Greg

You haven't seen the movie yet? Sigh.

There is this fantastic thing called context. That is what sets this movie apart from BvS in so many ways it's not even funny. Context is everything. And you seem to lack it. Would be interested in seeing your thoughts once you've seen it. Til then...

11. Greg

How BvS did it was silly. But it's certainly not what made that movie the mixed quality film it was.

Luroda and jkauf like this.
  12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I readily admitted I still need to see it, but it's not like there isn't a history of DC getting shit for things Marvel gets a pass.

And my overall point is I think that context/explanation is added as a reaction to the MoS criticism and is something that'll affect movies in this genre from here on out. I'm not saying it's a knock on this movie, or makes it just as bad as BvS, etc.

13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Totally agreed.

14. MattLikesSsips

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

Doing a Winter Soldier rewatch tonight before my Civil War viewing tomorrow and I now can fully appreciate Falcon's sass. Also, I'm neither Team Cap not Team Iron Man. I'm team Bucky.

15. Greg

It comes down to opinion. But to me, DC has yet to give us one good movie in a shared universe. That tends to open yourself to getting shit on.

jkauf likes this.
  16. Dodge725

Trusted

My friend and I were talking about all the different roles the study group could play. Britta as a misguided animal rights activist thinking Black Panther was an actual cat was my personal favorite.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Troy would be Spidey obviously, and Abed happens to film one of the battles

18. Greg

Abed is a SHIELD agent.

AndrewSoup and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

YOU MEAN A HYDRA AGENT??

20. Greg

Maybe. Haha

I would say his lack of attempt to stop Cap makes him non Hydra, but I could be wrong.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  21. Nathan May 6, 2016
    (Last edited: May 6, 2016)
    Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

What a fun movie. Some of the early action was horribly shot, it played out awful in such close up handhelds. I was worried for a second. But the airport scene made up for it in terms of action and the emotional stakes of the final fight made that really stand out.

It was very cool to see everyone team up, especially in a film about relationships and friendship and the conflicts friends face, I loved the way the emotions swung throughout some of the scenes as different characters I have different attachments to would wind up face to face. That being said, Hawkeye and Ant-Man weren't given the most crucial investment in the main plot. The fallout worked okay, especially for Hawkeye, but it definitely came close to feeling out of place. Spider-Man almost had that problem too, except they made him work better thematically and holy shit Tom Holland was fucking incredible and I am very excited for him to wash the Garfield films out of my palette.

Black Panther was amazing. Chadwick Boseman might be the best actor of the leading men in the MCU (Ruffalo right there with him and RDJ close behind). I worry a little bit about diminishing returns with so many superhero movies, that oftentimes they might fall into the same stale beats and I might start to feel less invested in them going forward, but after this a Ryan Coogler/Chadwick Boseman Black Panther movie is very high on my anticipated films.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  22. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

The orange slice line fell flat in my theater. So awkward. I had to look up an interpretation on reddit forums. I get it now, but it had no context, too fast. Or maybe it just went over my head.

23. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

oh man, that scene where Steve and Sharon finally kiss, then we see Bucky and Sam just grinning at him was fucking hilarious. and the moment before when Buck asks Sam to move his seat up. the interaction b/w them was so choice

24. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Just saw this, pretty solid outside of the first act. Some enthralling action sequences throughout ans actually did a good job painting both sides as reasonable, never fully disagreed with Cap or Tony.

Resolution felt a little unearned however? Just came out of nowhere and left me wanting more, but not in a good way.

Jusscali likes this.
  25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Wow I really enjoyed this movie. Just SO good. Definitely hyped for a new Spidey film, but DAMN, also very excited for Black Panther, who I honestly know nothing about.