Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cap'n Jazz Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Kennedy, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Cap'n Jazz
    was an American emo band formed in Chicago in 1989 by brothers Tim and Mike Kinsella, who were joined by Sam Zurick and Victor Villarreal. After a number of name changes and the addition of guitarist Davey von Bohlen, the band began to earn a cult following in the Chicago area and the Midwest. [Wikipedia}

2. Kennedy

im ashamed in all of us that it took this long to make a Capn Jazz thread. Obviously one of the most influential emo bands ever. love their discography so much. so many good memories attached to their music for me.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

The thing I've always hated about Cap'n Jazz is that I feel like Little League is their best song, so while I love pretty much all of it, it took me so long to get into it because it's basically never Little League again for me

4. Kennedy

Little League is my favorite Cap'n Jazz song, but also there are a handful of songs that I would hold to the same standard. Basically tracks 2-7, at least, of Shapn shmazz.

5. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Such a legendary and amazing band. Basil's Kite or In The Clear are my 2 favorites.

6. Horrorca

Trusted

yeah man, I love how all their songs are like ~3 min explosions of... well... emotion

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That's a better way to phrase it, it's my favorite, not necessarily the like objective best. Oh Messy Life definitely hits that spot for me, yeah. There's some killer stuff on the second half of the discography comp that gets forgotten a lot.

8. Kennedy

I paint for work, like houses and commercial stuff. One time me and my good bud I was working with at the time were painting a bank, so like, on commercial jobs like that usually there is a contractor supervisor or whatever. So it was just us and this guy at this bank at like 3am. Me and my friend I was working with both loved Capn Jazz. So we had capn Jazz playing through this bank, and when "Bluegrassish" came on the rough n tough head contractor guy unplugged my iPod and said he was sick of listening to our pussy *homosexual slur / more bad words*... And then he put on Godsmack.

Probably the worst night of my life

9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That dude sounds like a posturing dick, sorry that happened. Bluegrassish is a great song too btw, without really presenting itself as super unique, even though it is. It's kind of brilliant in that way.
    One thing I have a love hate relationship with is that I am in awe of this band because I listen and I literally can't tell what's going on musically on some songs. Like I try to focus on the guitars or bass and I get caught up in the energy of it.
    Can I talk about Owls? Compare and contrast and all that?

10. Kennedy

Haha he was a dick. The Godsmack part was the worst part of the whole thing reeally

11. Kennedy

Also I agree with that last statement. I always imagine myself playing these songs with a band and... Man haha. It would be so hard.

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yeah it's all just a blur to me, and when Victor Villarreal slowed stuff down it was still completely mind blowing. It's weird to think they were basically my age or younger when this happened

13. Horrorca

Trusted

LOL this is hilarious

so you where playing it through like the bank's pa system or however that's called?

14. Kennedy

Yeah hahaha that's exactly what it was

15. Horrorca

Trusted

that's amazing brother

KennedyBN likes this.
  16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

What does Cap'n Jazz even sound like on decent ( I assume) speakers??

KennedyBN likes this.
  17. Kennedy

Haha, good. I have their discography on vinyl and I have a pretty good speaker / receiver combo and it sounds really clear and good

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That's kind of surprising. I wonder if I'd be able to keep up with the instruments better if I listened on good speakers oooh.
    I'd have loved to be able to see their mini reunion show a few years back, I'd love to see an Owls show too

19. Horrorca

Trusted

actually I really like how the comp sounds on vinyl through a nice stereo

production is surprisingly... crisp? I don't know, I like it - its clear and has balls and it's loud without being saturated

I wish I had my record on hand...

who produced that shit?

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

For the album proper, the internet tells me Casey Rice. Don't know who that is. For the b sides, I'd have to look in more but something tells me self produced. I'm surprised the quality holds up like that, figured it'd sound like a basement recording

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh, that producer did 30° Everywhere, stuff by Tortoise, Seam, Liz Phair, Joan Of Arc...Pretty much all I recognize

22. Horrorca

Trusted

that's a p ok resume I think

I want to listen to this now but I'm too hung over for it, ugh

KennedyBN likes this.
  23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Listen to it at a low volume, if yr head splits open it'll be a nice story

24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

playing FYF fest

25. wow pretty nuts