Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Candyman (Nia DaCosta, August 27, 2021) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by blast0rama, Feb 25, 2020.

1. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

There are 4 seats filled for our 7 RPX show. I’m okay with that.

2. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Looks good and gross.

4. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Keep experiencing people bring whole families with very young children and babies to horror movies and I'm really not a fan, not just because they probably don't need to be seeing this kind of stuff, but the tension is kinda key and babies don't get that.

Other than that, I really didn't care for this other than some visual stuff. Original is way more subtle and interesting.

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

forgot to mention: there's some flashing lights going on in the film at a certain point, for whoever would benefit from knowing that. sorry i didn't say anything before

6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

This was pretty good. Very different from the original (which I love). The cast was great. Colman Domingo is having a pretty great year. I do think I agree that it's a little overstuffed with ideas that don't really pay off

I liked the multiple Candymen angle, though I wish that were expanded on

chewbacca110 and Zilla like this.
  7. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

I actually really enjoyed this. The ambiance was great.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Really liked this a lot, as I expected to

9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Expected to open with $20 million which is a good amount for an R rated horror film with how covid is right now.

10. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Really enjoyed this.

11. chewbacca110

Just learned of the connection to the original and wow. I am so excited for my noon showing tomorrow.

12. zachmacD

Trusted

I’m breaking a pretty big rule of mine going to see a horror movie on a Saturday night opening weekend, but we’re visiting my fiancées parents in the Poconos and it was $15 to see it on cinemarks xd screen. Super exited for this and hoping for a good crowd

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I enjoyed this quite a bit. The third act kinda sucked tho. The 'twist' was so abrupt and frustrating.

airik625 likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen Aug 28, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 28, 2021)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

why did Sherman have a hook, I also feel like it's right to be wary of someone giving candy to random kids even though it seems like he was benign

Did Anthony have that thing from that one Spongebob where his brain only remembered art instead of fine dining, I know people in horror movies do dumb shit while the final girl is able to get away but good lord he was a himbo haha
    he tempted fate for 27 years he could have done it for longer
    overall I liked it except at times Troy felt like a stereotype and it seemed a bit meta about how art mines and portrays trauma, also needed more Marcus from Hacks and Colman Domingo but what doesn't

it also made sense having never seen the original, I was thinking of watching beforehand but it's nice sometimes to not know what's gonna happen
    also not sure how I feel about death coming for people making Joy Division puns

15. Anthony_

B67D35DD-B05E-4943-91C2-848AB1F7BECC.jpeg

DaCosta on Blank Check this week!

16. chewbacca110 Aug 29, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 29, 2021)
    chewbacca110

Really enjoyed this. Direction is A+, but I do have a fundamental question: if every Candyman came out of injustices, what did Anthony do to merit his entry into the lore? Maybe something went right over my head but I’d love an answer I can wrap my mind around.

17. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I enjoyed this overall and I was very impressed with Nia DaCosta’s filmmaking. I agree with Henry that the third act dragged a little bit and I still can’t believe they decided to end the movie that way. Anyway, I can definitely see myself watching this again in October.

18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

third act is where things started to work for me

19. Anthony_

he was shot in cold blood by the police while lying down in Brianna’s arms dying and not a threat to anyone

chewbacca110 likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Burke created the legend and the whole point was that the legend regardless of how much is true and how much is embellished becomes the story

chewbacca110 likes this.
  21. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lol when the one character said he was harmless, I leaned over to my sister and went "um.. he has a hook and is hiding in the walls tho."

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah I feel like the only way to square the circle of “this guy hides in the walls and gives candy to random children but he’s just misunderstood and harmless” would be if he had some mental disability or something. But they never say that, so

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

JRGComedy and chewbacca110 like this.
  24. Anthony_

Great to hear

25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

looks like this makes nia dacosta the first black female director to have a #1 movie at the box office