Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Calvin and Hobbes Comic Book • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Oh hell yeah.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

jason mentioning foxtrot somewhere recently tickles me because i did the exact same thing at the age he was doing it and reading those strips lol

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. falconate

Open your closed mind. Prestigious

The wallpapers on my phone and computer desktops are currently all Calvin and Hobbes related. Growing up I always related really strongly with Calvin.

I think it's amazing how much there is to appreciate within this comic. As a young kid I always loved reading the strips about Calvin's antics, school experiences, etc. Now I read it and appreciate the social commentary and intellectualism. This truly is a comic that grows up with you (even though nothing in the comic itself actually changes)

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. coach

stupider like a fox

My brother and I grew up reading Calvin and Hobbes. We recently got into homebrewing and decided to name all of the beers after Calvin and Hobbes references. Not like we'll be selling these or anything, just for fun and to show our appreciation of the comic. Here are some we compiled that we'll figure out eventually.

Dat darn Kahlfun stole ma spacechip!
    Tyrannosaurs in F-14s!
    Giant lizards glory
    Croquet is a gentlemen's game
    Mosquitos dont even have teeth
    Give up on that sissy lighter fluid
    In a pinch PBJ will do
    A real sport for idiots
    Classical music at 78 RPM
    Above Planet Gloob
    Idiots explosives and falling anvils

Hopefully someday we can do a series of brews in honor of Calvin's alter egos: Captain Napalm, Spaceman Spiff, Stupendous Man, Tracer Bullet

Jason Tate and WhitestKidUKnow like this.
  5. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

There is no form of media that was able to transcend it's medium more than this strip in comics.

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Emotherapy

Regular

I've always wanted a tattoo of Calvin with his alter egos.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

My Holy Book

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I'm (pleasantly) surprised by how many people are passionate about C&H. I have a lot of fond memories because my grandpa really loved them and had a handful of books. Not to be a downer but I was so upset last year when he died that someone had decided to donate all his books. I really, really wish I could have kept these.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Any Calvin and Hobbes tattoos out there?

10. TedSchmosby

Trusted

It's been about a year since I've read through the entirety of these strips, and that is far too long

bradsonemanband likes this.
  11. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

From Bill Watterson, bestselling creator of the beloved comic strip Calvin and Hobbes, and John Kascht, one of America’s most renowned caricaturists, comes a mysterious and beautifully illustrated fable about what lies beyond human understanding.

The Mysteries

The Mysteries has reportedly been in the works for years in what's described as an "unusually close collaboration."

"[In The Mysteries,] a long-ago kingdom is afflicted with unexplainable calamities," reads the publisher's description of the book. "Hoping to end the torment, the king dispatches his knights to discover the source of the mysterious events. Years later, a single battered knight returns"

https://www.thepopverse.com/bill-watterson-the-mysteries-john-kascht-calvin-hobbes

12. Woah

iiiii623498 likes this.
  13. and pre-ordered

iiiii623498 likes this.
  14. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Holy fucking woah

15. Fox83

Trusted

Dear Mr. Watterson (2013) is now available to watch in full on YouTube (legitimately, I think).

SpeckledSouls and Jason Tate like this.
  16. Fox83

Trusted

Wow! This has to be the most I've ever heard Bill Watterson speak, and the audio is crystal clear. The video is from 2020. Watterson talks about the brilliance of Richard Thompson at the 34:00 mark. He talks for nearly THREE mins!

Mo Willems and Raina Telgemeier talk about Watterson's work and look at some of his original strips from the exhibit at 22:04.

The video barely has 5k views. This is awesome.

SpeckledSouls likes this.
  17. Fox83

Trusted

He talks for over three minutes about the influence Pogo had on him at the 26:56 mark of this video. This video was published in September 2021. I've entered quite the rabbit hole now...

18. SpeckledSouls

Trusted

tyler2tall likes this.
  19. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Cool video where Bill and John talk about collaborating to create The Mysteries. Beautiful book, so glad they figured it out

20. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

Received & read my copy last night. Beautiful and unsettling. Like most fables, I imagine I'll return to it now and again and have a new take on it/new lesson to learn.

SpeckledSouls likes this.
  21. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

That IS sad to read.... :(

Was C&H the best comic ever? No.

Only kidding, it was.

Every Sunday, I would grab the comics from the paper and read the first page first (Doonesbury, I think then C&H)

I had to google when it was out (1985-1995) and the stories, back then, were indeed a tiger and his friend... But now, as stated from someone else, the words you read as an adult mean so much more.

We loved C&H and all the characters - There was nothing evil, or wrong about the comic. It was brilliant.;

A close 2nd in the list? Bloom County - also brilliant.

22. tomdelonge

Trusted

this is gold