Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Call Me By Your Name (Luca Guadagnino, November 24, 2017) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 1, 2017.

1. 5Stories

Regular

I still think about this film all the time. Just started reading the book, it's excellent.

2. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I'm sad I missed out on seeing this in theaters. Nowhere near me still has it. Sigh

3. Finally saw this tonight! It was really good. As you all already know, the scene at the end with Elio’s dad was unreal. And on that scene, just one question: when Elio’s dad was talking about his experience with lost love when he was younger, was he hinting that he too was romantic with another guy? I couldn’t tell if he was trying to convey that or if he was just talking about a woman from his past

aoftbsten likes this.
  4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea I think he’s talking about another guy. It’s one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking monologues in recent memory.

5. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I took it as ambiguous, that lost love is universal, regardless of sexuality

Mrplum5089, tucah, OotyPa and 3 others like this.
  6. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think that it’s supposed to be foreshadowing for Oliver marrying, implying that settles for a straight relationship.

That being said, the core of it is about lost love being universal, as you said.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Contender and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  9. Jake Gyllenhaal

I was gonna post that! I wish #3 was true

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Contender and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  11. Jake Gyllenhaal

5Stories likes this.
  12. 5Stories

Regular

Has anyone read the book? I finished it last week. Really loved it but think the film is even better. The film chose the perfect ending point and I'm really glad it didn't rely on any narration. I'm so in love with this film, been planning to see it again.

13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

14. :/

15. Dog with a Blog

As I said before, I’m against it in theory, but I also wasn’t too happy when Before Midnight got announced and look how that turned out. Different directors, obviously, but both sequels to stories that didn’t really warrant one.

16. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I’m supremely into a before trilogy style evocation of these characters. Hoping we can have some happy endings though. Not just Elio heartbroken over Oliver for all time.

17. Morrissey

Trusted

You were okay with Before Sunset but not Before Midnight?

18. Dog with a Blog

Well, by the time I saw Before Sunset both films had been out for many years, so I just accepted that they were pairing. I also found the ending in Before Sunset to not only be the perfect ending to that story, but one of the best endings I had ever seen in any movie ever. I don't think sequels can tarnish or "ruin" the work before it, but in my head I had decided what happened to those characters and didn't think any sequel could match my expectations, but I was wrong.

19. Jake Gyllenhaal

mad and Anthony_ like this.
  20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I suppose a "Before Trilogy"-type structure could work in this case, at least in theory, but I'd still rather they leave it be. This was a wonderful film with a pitch-perfect ending.

OotyPa likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mad and Dog with a Blog like this.
  22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I think that’s the Criterion Collection box art right there no need to look any further

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  23. sawhney[rusted]2 Mar 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 20, 2018)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Saw this Sunday night. After the first half of the film, I was at a point where I was saying "I don't really care about the what these characters are going through". Once the midway point hit, it was incredible, and from that point on I was enraptured. Beautiful film, one that definitely bears repeat viewings. Chamalet has an incredible career ahead of him. I was immensely impressed by the physicality in his performance. Also, love the use of angles to highlight the power dynamics in the film, really really cool and ingenious.

Mrplum5089 and Dodger like this.
  25. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I've had this movie on my to-watch list for a while, but it was available at my library the other day so I checked it out. I've watched it three times in the last two days. I'm really bad while watching movies at home and will mindlessly browse the internet, but I didn't reach for my phone once on this one, I was so invested and impressed with the acting. I forced myself to put the DVD in my bag to be returned after work because I don't need to put myself through that again (at least not for a while).