Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Call Me By Your Name (Luca Guadagnino, November 24, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 1, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

thread

2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Seeing this tonight. Really pumped

3. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Y’all and your early showing privilege.

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Seriously beautiful film. Dialogue and performances might be my favorite part, maybe even more than the incredibly lovely score and cinematography.

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Saw this like a week and a half ago and never came to post about it. Hammer and Chalamet were amazing, two of the best performances I saw this year. And Michael Stuhlbarg at the end, wow. Beautifully made as well. One of the best of the year for sure.

OotyPa likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Maybevictor and Aregala like this.
  7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Very beautiful and moving film. Solid performances all around. Timothée Chalamet has had a good year with this and Lady Bird. Someone said it earlier, but the Dad's speech at the end was very moving. I'd also throw in the scene before that with Elio and Mariza for one that brings the tears.

My only hold up here is the age gap in the relationship. Seriously, how old is Oliver in this? In real life Hammer is in his 30's. I'm assuming in this his character is mid to late 20's at the youngest. I think Hammer did a great job at portraying some conflict over the age difference. But I can't shake the idea the Oliver is ultimately taking advantage of Elio (and probably the Italian girl he hooks up with, but she appeared to be older than Elio).

8. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Oliver is 24, it’s a 7 year age gap.

aoftbsten likes this.
  9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Thanks. Couldn't get out of my head that Armie is in his 30s in real life and Elio is 17. A 24 year old in a relationship with a minor still makes me a little uncomfortable, but the way it was handled in the film didn't seem predatory or abusive and I suppose in Italy Elio also wouldn't be considered a minor.

OotyPa likes this.
  10. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Oliver's marriage at the end of the film is kind of heartbreaking for his character when you take it in context of the dad's speech. Sounds like it kind of parallels the love the dad is saying he missed out on (I'm assuming Oliver's marriage is not a same sex marriage given the time period this takes place in).

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Definitely got the same impression, especially after Oliver says his parents would kill him if they were to find out he was seeing another man. Also that last shot is SEEPING with emotion- both positive and negative, taking into context what his father was saying about accepting joy and sorrow as gifts. It's evident at the film's end that Elio has entered the complex world of adult relationships and he's no longer denying/shaming his feelings like we see a little bit over the course of the film. We can only hope after the film is over that Elio takes the lessons he learned from Oliver and his father and grows even further outward.

jkauf and aoftbsten like this.
  12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Armie Hammer was too old for this role but he was very, very good. Timothee Chalamet was astounding. Luca Guagadnino needs more eyes on all his work because he is one of the most beautifully nuanced filmmakers about sexuality and relationships I've ever seen.

Aregala and Anthony_ like this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Made the same joke to MY WIFE!

14. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Damn.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This was beautiful

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

might see this monday!!!

Contender likes this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I need to sit with the Oliver character a bit more. A lot to unpack

18. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I've seen this twice and, yeah, Oliver is a curious character for me. Not sure how I feel about him just yet

19. Oskarr Jan 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 13, 2018)
    Oskarr

Needled 24/7

Elio has a doting crush and Oliver takes advantage of it. But add Sufjan Stevens and it's a timeless love story?

Their dynamic nags at me. I'm reminded of college seniors sharking around freshmen 'cuz they like being The Older Dude. I can't help but feel like Oliver is selfish and irresponsible by the end. Meh. Beautiful movie but yeah. Need a second watch.

Anyway. I want to ride bikes and go on vacation now. And dance like that lol.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

He is selfish. He either did not care or did not think about how a younger man, and a less traditionally attractive one, would be devastated by the relationship when he inevitably moved on. It happens a lot.

jkauf, Aregala and OhTheWater like this.
  21. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Wish I could watch the last 15 min over and over, especially with it feeling like it did that first time.

Anthony_ likes this.
  22. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

The whole moral of the story is that the possibility of loss does not render the joy inherent in love any less meaningful

I have a lot of thoughts about how our current culture's pathological obsession with age differences takes agency away from young people (especially precocious ones) but that's a different story

Joel, jkauf and OotyPa like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

It is really touchy right now, especially after the Roy Moore thing, but teenagers with young adults is more common than people might want to admit, and it isn't always manipulative or destructive.

jkauf likes this.
  24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

but I think this movie shows how that age dynamic can end up being incredibly harmful for the younger person. Oliver was able to move on, Elio wasn’t, because he hadn’t had enough emotional development and was more impulsive in the situation and fell for him. Which is part of the worry of these situations, it may not be abusive or manipulative but younger people are more prone to make decisions that might hurt them due to lack of experience

25. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

then the issue becomes more to make younger people aware that this additional risk exists, rather than encouraging a culture where older people make these decisions on their behalf

and to be picky, the movie actually doesn't show elio's moving on vs. not moving on, and the pain depicted in the movie is more than a worthwhile tradeoff for the happiness and growth he experienced within the relationship, and in any case it was his decision to make and not anyone else's

(obviously not speaking about scenarios where active manipulation is taking place)

cwhit likes this.