Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Buzzfeed: Why Apple Killed the Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

John Paczkowski, writing at Buzzfeed about Apple killing the headphone jack:

“It was holding us back from a number of things we wanted to put into the iPhone,” Riccio says. “It was fighting for space with camera technologies and processors and battery life. And frankly, when there’s a better, modern solution available, it’s crazy to keep it around.”

It’s hard to imagine Apple’s hardware design team hamstrung by a diminutive legacy port. But when you’re dealing with a computing device with extraordinarily tight dimensional tolerances, there are bound to be challenges. Riccio spends a good 15 minutes explaining them. I’ll try to do it in two.

Like it or hate it — the decision making process really is interesting.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I myself don't see the problem.

Not only are they including headphones with the lightening port bundled in but they are also giving you the adaptor.

3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

At one point people were upset they had to replace their cassettes with CDs... And VHS's with DVDs then Blurays.... Technology has to progress at somepoint, and that involves doing away with the old technology. I'm all for it

coleslawed and mattylikesfilms like this.
  4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I don't mind that they removed the headphone jack since the new iPhone comes with a headphones with a lightning plug in.

5. JohnR831 Sep 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 8, 2016)
    JohnR831

Regular

It doesn't really bother me. I think there's a lot of potential for what headphone makers will do now. This allows for the DAC, amp, etc to be made by the headphone makers, and they can be powered through the lightening cable rather than batteries. There is potential for much higher quality audio now. I'm really hoping that Audio-Technica comes out with something. Their studio monitors are my favorite headphones I've owned.

6. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

This reminds me of the new laptops that don't have a built in CD drive but come with a USB version. Apple is trying to do a lot with a little space. I myself am not an Apple fan but I respect them trying new things and being innovative.

Turkeylegz and fenway89 like this.
  7. omgrawr Sep 8, 2016
    omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I do dislike the move because I got a pair of $400 headphones last year and they'd now be unusable most of the time bc I probably wouldn't remember/care to make sure I have the adapter with me all the time. It's also awfully hard for me to get past the fact that Apple for sure makes money off of selling accessories bc of this move and that maaaay have had more to do w/ it than innovation.

BUT I also don't have to upgrade my iPhone, so I'm not gonna for now and I guess later on I'll decide how important it is to me to have the headphone jack. To me they didn't improve the phone enough to take away such a big feature on this model. Basically a better camera, new button, and water "resistant" screen. Not enough for the asking price of an upgrade rn for me.

Guys Named Todd likes this.
  8. JohnR831 Sep 8, 2016
    JohnR831

Regular

My only gripe is that they didn't just switch to USB-C instead of lightening. I'm unaware of any advantage (aside from the financial advantage for apple, as it's a proprietary port).

9. Connor

From what I understand lighting is a better technology. It transfers data faster than the usb-c port. I could be off on that though

10. transrebel59

Regular

With the switch from DVDs to BluRay, we got higher quality picture and audio as an upgrade. With the switch to having your audio played through Bluetooth or through the adapter, what upgrade are we receiving?

11. Connor

Forces the technology to get better. Bluetooth is not a good technology but had no reason to be better. With things moving toward wireless it sets a standard that needs to be met which forces improvements.

coleslawed and heymattrick like this.
  12. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Very good read.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. We now have a reason for Bluetooth to be a ton better, and this is going to push it to happen faster and be even better. The adapter is only there because we're now in a weird in-between of headphone jack/lightning, and they didn't want to screw everyone and make them buy an adapter.

Jason Tate and fenway89 like this.
  14. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Yeah, this is a clear 'we made listening to music a little less convenient so that your pictures come out better.' Given what most people do with their phones, it makes perfect sense.

Given what I do with my phone (I can't remember the last time I took a picture, and I have as much music on it as possible), it's not my favorite thing. But I don't need to do anything until I get a new phone, and I have other options.

The biggest annoyance is just the 'having to drop $200ish on headphones' at some point in the future. Which I suppose is just the world we live in - stuff costs money.

15. clucky

Trusted Supporter

do you actually need to drop $200 on headphones? or will any pair of bluetooth headphones work and Apple just knows they can sell headphones for $200 and people will buy them

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

So many people think it's just because Apple wants to force proprietary technology. The Lightning port business is just a stepping stone to going all wireless.

Jason Tate and fenway89 like this.
  17. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Well. Currently the Bluetooth headphones I've seen people talk about have been pricey (Jason posted a link to ones he liked that were $199. Admittedly, that's where I was getting my price from).

I suppose one day they'll be the $10-30 the wired ones are now (at least for the cheap ones I buy). But I'd guess that'll take a bit of time.

18. clucky

Trusted Supporter

There are already plenty of Bluetooth headphones in the $30 price range. Its not a new technology. I just wasn't sure if Apple had added an extra proprietary protection layer to stop generic bluetooth headphones from working.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  19. grimis16

Regular

well earbuds are pieces of shit and never stay in my ears. Have no idea how people listen to anything through them.

20. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I'm extremely out of the loop, then! Thanks for the info!!

21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Yea this is literally my only hesitation with this. I suppose someone will come out with a splitter? I only charge and listen simultaneously in the car so a splitter would be ok.

22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

maybe just leave the adapter attached to your headphones?

also, the new camera on the 7plus is basically a low-end DSLR, and is almost worth it for an upgrade for that alone, imo. hoping that trickles down to the 7S, which should be out by the time I'm due for an upgrade.

23. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Eh I use three different pairs of headphones in different places and the iPhone isn't the only thing I use them with so that sucker would for sure be lost eventually haha