Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Butch Walker - Stay Gold (August 26, 2016) Album • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Jun 8, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

RIPthesteve

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I also don’t like EPs generally, but I don’t re-list them as b-sides of anything.

Peachtree Battle is great though. Wish it was a full-length, but I think he made it an EP because it wasn’t done and he wanted his dad to hear it before he passed.

3. Skinkie

Regular

Yeah that’s why I cram those other songs onto it. He was playing them live around the same time as the other Peachtree songs, I think they just didn’t make the time cut

4. abw123

Trusted

Dropping in just to say one thing. Peachtree Battle RULES !!!

Thank you, carry on.

5. abw123

Trusted

By the way, I totally agree with this, and I just reorganized my tracks this way. 7 great tunes.

Skinkie likes this.
  6. irthesteve

just heard Spark: Lost on the radio, or whatever they were playing from, at lunch so that was a nice little surprise!

7. Pretty cool interview, Butch gives some insight on his writing process and the inspiration behind a few songs. Also performs "Chrissie Hynde" and "Record Store."

Mentions at the very end that he has two albums in the can and will be announcing/releasing/touring next year.

8. Skinkie

Regular

Next year? Sigh. I thought this thing was coming out last year. Then this year....

How about this, give me one now and one next year

9. Craig Manning

I wonder why it's taking so long. Pretty long gap between albums, by his standards.

KidLightning likes this.
  10. He mentions how busy he's been producing this year and also sounds a little weary about being away from home so much next year when he'll be touring the record(s). Seems like he's just waiting until his schedule allows for a proper tour to promote the new stuff.

11. Skinkie

Regular

i know on Facebook at one point he posted something about the beginning of this year not happening due to more California wild fires damaging his house and that he got into a bit of a depressive state over it. Probably just wasn’t feeling a tour at that point. Then, yeah, wound up having to do some producing, and just missed his window

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  12. irthesteve

His benefit show love streams on Facebook today. Andrew McMahon and other guests

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  13. Skinkie

Regular

Excited to check that out. Maybe he’ll bust out some new stuff

14. irthesteve

Saw Butch play a tiny little set opening for Andrew McMahon last night which was really nice, but he dropped the piece of knowledge that his next album is "kinda a rock opera, based loosely on his childhood, growing up and his father" he also said it would be out "Spring 2020" and "a lot of people probably will hate it"

15. Craig Manning

Huh! Very intriguing.

16. irthesteve

@Craig Manning this song he has been playing for over a year is on the album, probably gives a good sense of how a narrative aspect will fit in. Should be interesting!

17. Skinkie

Regular

There was an interview a bit back where he talked about making a concept album. Very intriguing.

18. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Very here for a weird/divisive Butch album

irthesteve and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  19. Craig Manning

Yep, I remember this song. Definitely not my favorite thing he's ever done, but I'm interested to hear more of this direction.

20. abw123

Trusted

Random aside from a new fan: Where do most of the Butch fans stand on his Marvelous 3 material? I'm just now getting into it and I think Hey! and Ready Sex Go are both really good! Left of Self Centered really feels like a M3 album too, you can hear the left turn being made at Letters, right?

21. Skinkie

Regular

Hey!Album and ReadySexGo are both fantastic. Math and Other Problems is good, but definitely the lesser of the three.

Left of Self Centered to me sounds like Butch trying to repeat the sound of ReadySexGo, but I think second time around it didn’t work as well. Letters is definitely where he stopped chasing a sound and just wrote whatever he felt like. And it’s been that way ever since

abw123 likes this.
  22. Craig Manning

Self-Centered is definitely him starting to experiment with weightier songwriting, though ("Take Tomorrow," "Diary," "Sober") and embracing some of his pure pop influences ("Far Away from Close"). Those directions blossomed a lot on Letters, but I still love Self-Centered, in part because those were the only two Butch solo records when I started listening to him.

The Marvelous 3 stuff is great, though. "Cigarette Lighter Love Song" is, some days, my favorite thing he ever wrote.

abw123 and KidLightning like this.
  23. abcdefg123

Regular

Yeah, but what are everyone’s thoughts on Southgang though?

For those who don’t know, Southgang is the exact same lineup as the Marvelous 3 but with a frontman. They had nice hair.

Mr. Serotonin and irthesteve like this.
  24. irthesteve

As part of this conversation, I want to urge everyone to read Butch's autobiography, it's pretty amazing

[​IMG]

25. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Tons of great anecdotes about some of my favorite pop punk bands such as Bowling For Soup and Fall Out Boy