Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Butch Walker - Stay Gold (August 26, 2016) Album • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Afraid of Ghosts might be my second favorite after Stay Gold, but I definitely have to be in the right head-space to listen to it. It is powerful and pretty heavy. After my aunt died a few years ago it was the only thing I listened to for several days.

I had never heard of "Growing Up (Don't Let Me Down)" so thank you for turning me on to that hidden gem.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Afraid of Ghosts will never be my most-played Butch Walker album, but I still think it's a masterpiece.

hairtaylor and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. abw123

Trusted

I'm back, so......yeah, The Spade is just as awesome as you all said.

I have been pounding his 4 most recent albums. Stay Gold and The Spade are terrific. Afraid of Ghosts is a nice piece of work but pretty sparse obviously, so not as immediate for me as the others overall, but it's not bad or anything. I Liked It Better album is a little hit/miss but good overall.

Will delve into the first 4 albums next, and then the EP's, Marvelous 3, and rare stuff after that

4. Craig Manning

Letters and Sycamore Meadows are both masterpieces, imo. You're in for a treat!

5. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Craig speaks the truth

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  6. abw123

Trusted

If either of them tops Stay Gold for me I will be very happily surprised.

7. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Stay Gold, The Space, and Letters are my top 3 from when I dove into him a few years back. Still anxiously awaiting a new album announcement.

8. Skinkie

Regular

Definitely look up some live versions of Bed on Fire (both solo and with a band), I think it jumps to a new level in that context

9. abw123

Trusted

The cover from Letters throws me off with the glammy look

10. The Rise and Fall is the glam album. And possibly his most underappreciated IMO

irthesteve likes this.
  11. abw123

Trusted

I'm sorry, I was referring to the Left of Self Centered album cover that looks glammy to me and his look throws me off

12. Craig Manning

Stay Gold is probably my third favorite of his at this point. Letters was a huge formative album for me and is still my favorite. Sycamore Meadows remains his best album from a songwriting perspective, I think.

The Rise and Fall might be up @abw123's alley. It's got some things in common with The Spade and Stay Gold.

13. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Left of Self Centered is essentially a Marvelous 3 album IMO. Tons of great songs, but more in the vein of ReadySexGo. Letters is where he truly became a solo artist to me.

14. Skinkie

Regular

The Spade, Sycamore, and Rise and Fall are my favorites. I’d put Stay Gold sorta in the middle

15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Spade, Gold and Sycamore for me.

DO NOT MISS OUT ON Peachtree Battle (EP) by the way

16. Skinkie

Regular

And I’m a big advocate of listening to Peachtree Battle with End of the World/Battle vs War single tracks jammed between tracks 4 and 5. Almost an album then. Almost

irthesteve likes this.
  17. abw123

Trusted

I organize my music kinda oddly (I think) - I like to have all the albums separately and as-is, but I hate having EP's and singles take up space in the folder so I move them all into a folder called B-Sides under the artist. Curious if anyone else does this.

18. irthesteve

I would NEVER disrespect EPs like that!!!!

19. abw123

Trusted

Ha, I thought somebody would say that. Where do you draw the line though? What about singles?

I hate how cluttered it looks when you have an artist with a ton of singles and short EP's

20. abw123

Trusted

So many EP's (not all) are really B-Sides/leftover tracks anyway.

21. Skinkie

Regular

I keep my EPs as is, but do often cram various singles and B-Sides into an album together. For example my Butch Walker B-Sides album is 25 tracks long

22. abw123

Trusted

Yes, I like to hear that. I struggle with what length EP is long enough to really be deemed a free standing album and keep as is. I tend to leave the 6-7+ song EP's as albums and take the 3-5 song jobbers into the B-Sides. But these are certainly not hard and fast rules.

23. irthesteve

you are slowly killing me

Skinkie likes this.
  24. irthesteve

just straight up murdering me.

25. abw123

Trusted

I am sorry irthesteve. Nothing but respect