Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Butch Walker - Stay Gold (August 26, 2016) Album • Page 21

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

It was just so good ... good enough where it got me completely into Butch Walker. I spent the Fall of 2016 and 2017 diving into his discography.

And it all started with your hype. Reading your hype of Stay Gold made me curious and so, so, so glad I did. First time listening to East Coast Girl I just knew I got myself into something special.

Craig Manning likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

That's awesome, glad to hear you found something to love. Stay Gold really felt like the album I'd been wanting him to make for eight years, so it was really cool when he finally did it. I played that album so much in the summer and fall of '16.

3. abw123

Trusted

So I just listened to Stay Gold for the first time on Craig's suggestion in another thread, my first Butch Walker experience, and I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty damn great. Looking forward to spending the next few months delving in all the way on this albums. Thank you Craig for the reco. Look forward to coming back with here with comments and questions.

4. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

If you liked Stay Gold I bet you'd really like The Spade. The Spade is my personal favourite. Not a bad song on the record.

irthesteve likes this.
  5. abw123

Trusted

Headed there next, thanks.

PS - after one listen, I really like Irish Exit - funny that doesn't seem to be a favorite of anyone else.....??? Really cool song.

Mr. Serotonin and Craig Manning like this.
  6. Craig Manning

Hell yeah! So glad you enjoy it.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  7. abw123

Trusted

Reporting back, my 2nd album to get through was I LIked It Better When.....

Liked it, but certainly not as much as Stay Gold

Standout song after 1 listen was She Likes Hair Bands - loved it

Gonna hit up The Spade and Afraid of Ghosts next before delving into the earlier stuff

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

She Likes Hair Bands is really fantastic, that album isn't the best for getting into Butch though.

Steeeve Perry and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  9. abw123

Trusted

Yeah, but I wanted to see what I thought of one his "lesser" albums. It's better than I expected.

He is pretty eclectic it seems, not just different sounds from album to album but song to song as well.

irthesteve and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  10. abw123

Trusted

Also, Stay Gold (the song) is awesome awesome awesome

11. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

YOU WILL LOVE THE SPADE

irthesteve likes this.
  12. abw123

Trusted

Thanks.........YOU WILL LOVE.........in 3 months when I'm back in here begging for help scoring all the B-Sides !!

irthesteve and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  13. Craig Manning

That's my least favorite one. There are a few reasons, but the biggest thing is that the majority of it is co-written/strongly influenced by Michael Trent (The Films/Shovels & Rope), who has a very different approach to Butch. It definitely leads to some out-of-comfort-zone stuff for Butch, which i cool (though you're right that Butch is eclectic even just on his own), but I ultimately have never thought Trent was that great of a songwriter. He co-wrote a bunch of The Spade, too, but the other Black Widows guys had more of a hand in that and the overall sound and approach is a lot more fun and in Butch's wheelhouse.

14. Skinkie

Regular

This’ll get you started

Butch Checklist

15. abw123

Trusted

16. abw123

Trusted

Is the Pre-Marvelous 3 stuff any good?

17. irthesteve

18. Skinkie

Regular

Southgang - depends on your taste for 80s hair bands

Floyd’s Funk Revival - A couple good tracks, sorta meh

The Floyd’s - this is where the Butch sound starts to come together. Not all there yet, but a proto version. I like quite a bit of it

19. Skinkie

Regular

This is from when I had more free time

20. irthesteve

So impressed

21. Skinkie

Regular

irthesteve likes this.
  22. abw123

Trusted

So, Afraid of Ghosts, I can definitely see the Ryan Adams influence. Vocally he even sounds like Ryan in some places.

My big takeaway from this one on first blush is HOLY SHIT the last part of Father's Day -

Sunday morning, Father's Day
    The first without my dad
    As I look into my little boy's eyes
    It takes all I have
    Not to break down right in front of him when he smiles at me
    You don't become a man
    Until you lose your dad, you see

Craig Manning likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

My favorite part of a song from this decade.

24. Skinkie

Regular

Afraid of Ghosts has some strong songs, but it’s such a downer that I have to be in a very specific mood to play it. The tour was fantastic though

And I really wish Growing Up (Don’t Let Me Down) would get a wider release. It’s a perfect companion to the album

25. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, Afraid of Ghosts is definitely my least-played Butch album, at least since Left of Self-Centered. Still appreciate it though!