Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Butch Walker - American Love Story (May 8, 2020) Album • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Feb 4, 2020.

1. joebosslet

Love the solo at the end of out in the open but yea the lyrics in some of the songs is hard to listen to.

Brother Beck likes this.
  2. Skinkie

Regular

Yeah, I’m going with musically awesome, lyrically and story wise a bit of a mess. But that’s uh.... pretty standard for a rock opera I guess

3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I’m on Flyover State and the whole time thought there was some Lion King melodies in the chorus then the ending happened. YIKES hahaha

4. hairtaylor

Regular Supporter

So there’s an album length film to go along with it.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

so far this seems like an album that will be fun to have on in the background when i'm not really paying much attention to content or lyrics. musically this song is a lot of fun, but, that might be it.

6. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Fuck It (I Dont Like Love) is so, so dumb and yet so, so fucking catchy.

Pepetito, JRGComedy and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the lyrical content is gonna make me never want to even think about listening to this album again lol but yeah the songs are pretty goddamn catchy.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  8. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

The chorus is definitely an interpolation of that, yeah.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  9. The cadence and inflection of "Out in the Open" reminded me of something but I couldn't figure it out, and then I realized it was the dad from Tim Robinson's 'Jeff' sketch in the Characters.

Starts at 17:39 in case it doesn't link correctly. [EDIT] yeah can't embed, but it still links!

10. hairtaylor

Regular Supporter

That song just sounds like Peter Gabriel to me.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i don't like this

Leftandleaving likes this.
  12. hairtaylor

Regular Supporter

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i understand this is supposed to be from someone else's POV but still don't love how frequently he's using the word ***got in this one song.

14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

so far, the whole thing lol catchyness aside, i don't think it's very good

15. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Yeah, I can't see myself ever returning to this outside of one or two songs. Not only are lyrics dicey thematically, but they're just... not very good, for the most part. A project like this needs some subtlety/nuance to really work, and as much as I love Butch, that's never been his strong suit. Musically, while most of the songs are kinda fun, they're nowhere near good enough for me to overlook the lyrics.

16. Yeah, I don't feel like he explored/fleshed out the characters enough to warrant so much use of racial/homophobic slurs in this? Like, it almost feels like he just wanted an excuse to use them to be edgy/provactive, idk. I think Butch's heart is in the right place, but he has very strong 'wealthy white celebrity liberal' energy on social media and it's all very surface level 'orange buffoon' type critiques.

JBoch and Slangster like this.
  17. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

But have you considered there’s a freaking CHEETO in the White House

18. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I don’t think I’m ever going to return to this album. It’s a shame of how good Stay Gold was and ... this is how it was followed up.

Reminds me of how much I loved Positive Songs for Negative People and then Frank rolled out Be More Kind. And then the even worse No Man’s Land.

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

This album honestly feels like the next step Frank Turner would have taken given his recent track record. I can't help thinking of his "Make America Great Again" song while listening to a lot of this. Just a mess of an album with seemingly good intentions that never quite lands.

Danny likes this.
  20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, i've turned it off.

21. hairtaylor

Regular Supporter

sorry, that was my bad attempt at a joke re: Fuck It (I don’t like Love).

Sean Murphy likes this.
  22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

haha I knew what you meant, but was talking more broadly about the album in general

hairtaylor likes this.
  23. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Prolly my favourite, haha. Song bangs.

24. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

This was almost certainly necessary. Gonna have to watch later.

25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The Film is a great idea.

I haven't listened to this yet, but watching the film will definitely be the how I give it my first listen now. It could potentially be a game changer for my experience with this album.