Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Butch Walker - American Love Story (May 8, 2020) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Ohhh. Okay, I don't think that will "ruin" the songs for me, thankfully.

2. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I’m nervous I’m not going to like this at all. I just don’t need MAGA centered characters lol

3. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

That's a huge bummer to hear. I get enough MAGA nut job talk in my life when I deal with my parents.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think what bothers me more than it being a character with some shitty believes is that Butch doesn't really try to locate anything interesting or redeeming about this character until the mid-album pivot of "Out in the Open." Makes it harder to invest in this person's ultimate redemption arc.

5. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

How would you compare it to Frank Turner's disaster of an album, Be More Kind?

6. Craig Manning

Ha, it's a lot better than that album. Also much better than the history lesson Frank released last year. That said, it's probably my least favorite of his solo albums.

Jason Tate, JRGComedy and JBoch like this.
  7. Skinkie

Regular

Noooooo!
    That’s not what I want to hear. I’ve been loving the 70s sound of everything he’s previewed. I’ve got my hopes up. Up!

8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I was just thinking the other day about how Painkillers and Stay Gold came out the same year and we've gotten two more Brian Fallon records in that time

9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Stay gold is Brian fallons best solo album imo

Quercus, JBoch and JRGComedy like this.
  10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Pound for pound probably my favorite fallon record

11. Leftandleaving

Controversial!

JRGComedy likes this.
  12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

IDK, The Spade gives it a run for its money, but I'm not sure that counts as a solo record

Quercus and Leftandleaving like this.
  13. Leftandleaving

I would count it as solo imo. I think my controversial pick is sycamore meadows

JRGComedy likes this.
  14. Agreed to all points.

Craig Manning likes this.
  15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

@Craig Manning, How are the production and instrument components on this album? Lyrics aside speaking...good guitar solos and tones? Interesting or flowing song structures? If the music is good, I might be able to put aside the lyrical content.

16. Skinkie

Regular

Im thinking this too. Much as I love a good rock opera, lets be real, the lyrics almost always require some look the other way time

17. Craig Manning

Musically, I really enjoy it. And I'll put a disclaimer here and say that I am a very lyrically-focused listener and that lyrics really matter to my enjoyment of something, which I know isn't the case for everyone. I don't think it's anywhere near as strong melodically as Stay Gold was, and it's kind of in a similar musical vein, though I will say that it has a few of his best guitar solos ever.

Again, I definitely don't dislike it. But, like, I've had it for a month and I've listened to it maybe eight times. I listened to Stay Gold eight times in the first 24 hours.

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

That makes me happier. Thanks man haha.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  19. pudge104

Stay gold, Ponyboy

Getting Flyover State tomorrow.

hairtaylor and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  20. hairtaylor

Regular Supporter

Ready for this May 6th Wednesday release!

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

haha

22. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Having my first listen now, but I definitely get the complaints about some of the lyrics making this hard to listen to. Musically though I do really enjoy it.

23. irthesteve

Halfway in and feel the same way, it definitely gets wordy

24. Craig Manning

Been trying to write a review of this and having a lot of trouble balancing what I like about it and what I don't.

25. irthesteve

Yeah, after just one listen it's definitely an interesting one haha. A lot to like though, just a lot of other stuff too

KidLightning likes this.