Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Butch Walker - American Love Story (May 8, 2020) Album • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Skinkie

Regular

I love his various outfits in the different videos

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Butch plays guitar on this track. Pretty solid song!

3. abw123

Trusted

This album was such a disappointment, do we think he'll release anything in 2021? Seemed like he had this one in the can for awhile so maybe he has other things recorded ??

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

He was just on Chris Demakes a Podcast and didn't allude to any new music this year, but did mention a possible Marvelous 3 live show or two in the future

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

@Craig Manning I just saw that Butch posted your tweet on his IG story

Mr. Serotonin and Craig Manning like this.
  6. Craig Manning

7. irthesteve

8. irthesteve

Butch got a breakthrough case of covid but is doing well

9. Craig Manning

Shit. Get well soon, Butch!

10. Skinkie

Regular

Oof. That sucks. Hope he’s alright

11. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Skinkie likes this.
  12. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

The Spade turned 10 on Monday. It was the first Butch album I heard in full. Some days I think it’s my second or third favorite album of his. Just scratches a very specific itch for me.

13. Craig Manning

Shared some thoughts about this record on Twitter the other day for the 10-year.

14. Skinkie

Regular

It’s still my most played. There’s a couple I’d rate as musically stronger, but I’m terms of endless playability, nothing tops it

15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

My first Butch album and definitely my favorite and most-played (although Stay Gold is not far behind)

16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

maybe i’ll listen to it for the first time today stay tuned

Mr. Serotonin and Slangster like this.
  17. Craig Manning

There's really no dips in momentum or quality, and it just breezes by. Definitely his most replayable album, though I might still revisit Letters a tad more frequently just by virtue of it being my favorite.

Skinkie and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  18. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Prolly in my top favourite albums ever. So fun and you can play it front to back with no skips. Never drags. Great feel good record.

Skinkie likes this.
  19. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I almost never go back to The Spade and I'm not really sure why. I don't dislike it at all and agree with @Craig Manning's and @Mr. Serotonin's comments above - it's a very fun listen.

I think it's just because it's not in my top Butch albums (Letters, Sycamore, Ghosts) since it doesn't have the emotional weight of some of his other work.

20. Craig Manning

Letters and Sycamore are my favs too, for the same reason. And I like Stay Gold a tad more, too, because I feel like it pairs a lot of the things that make The Spade fun but fills them with a lot of heartfelt nostalgia and fear of getting old/losing touch with people and things from your past. Ghosts I adore too, but it's probably my least favorite Butch album, save American Love Story, just because it's tied to some very sad times in my life and I have a hard time listening to it more than a few times a year.

21. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Closest thing makes me tear up for sure haha

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

This is bad, but I forget Afraid of Ghosts exists. I reach for Peachtree Battle waaaay more and would've loved to hear a full album of that sound, even if I understand why we didn't get it.

23. Skinkie

Regular

I put the End of the World/Battle vs War tracks between tracks 4 and 5 of the EP. still not quite a full album, but they work great there

24. irthesteve

Yeah I never came around to Afraid of Ghosts unfortunately, I saw him live and some of those tracks worked much better live for me though. Peachtree on the other hand is near perfection

JRGComedy likes this.