Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Busted - Night Driver (November 25, 2016) Album • Page 28

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, May 1, 2016.

1. Kuri44

Never got Into this band or McFly..both are god fucking awful..

2. Hallowsandhoots

formerly alligator blood Prestigious

Hm, should have done Thinking of You. OWYO bombed and Thinking of You has potential as a single.

emeryk3 likes this.
  3. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, agreed. Thinking of You has been my favourite since the album released. Sadly didn't see all that positive reactions on Twitter when they played it at BBC's Children in Need though (but still a lot of love for Year 3000).

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Really? When I was looking all I could see was positivity after the Children in Need thing, I was a bit surprised since I didn't think the performance was that good.

5. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Idk when they were trending I searched and saw a fair share of negative tweets about the song. But I did another search with 'busted children in need new song' and I stand corrected - generally good feedback. People still have their preconceived notions of the band's sound and playing after their biggest song is plenty to live up to. So yeah, Thinking of You or Easy should be the next single, imo.

6. SpyKi

I'm pretty bad at navigating Twitter, I just searched @busted after they played and saw mainly positive comments. I guess a lot of the negative comments probably won't have tagged the band though, ha.

7. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, that's more likely to be fans. Tbf I thought On What You're On would do way better than it did - to near 20. But it's honestly like a lot of people still don't know Busted are back. That song wasn't the best but it was still hardly promoted. Fortunately, the album itself seems to be being marketed better - even if that includes X Factor performances.

8. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

One more post about this entire situation and then I'm done. I don't think any of the regular members in here were sensitive or hurt by Jason's comments whatsoever. He doesn't like the record, that's fine. But his "constructive criticism" was delivered in such an insensitive and disrespectful manner that I think everyone that's contributed to this thread since the beginning simply had no other choice but to state that his opinion was over the top, needlessly hyperbolic and confrontational. I would've been totally fine leaving it there and immediately moving on, but it's since become a bit of a circus.

I suppose my overwhelming feeling regarding all of this though is disappointment. This thread was certainly not hurting anyone, it was a positive and inclusive environment for long-time Busted fans and potential newcomers alike, the discussion was based entirely on the band and their music, and then you get a series of comments like Jason's that change the whole atmosphere. He's entitled to them of course, but they don't need to be expressed in such a manner that's going to make people uncomfortable. I've no doubt that he made those comments to bait fans, and I think for the most part the people in here were above it - good stuff.

Finally, I won't be responding to anything else about that situation. It's just going to go back and forth without a resolution and that's a waste of time and energy for everyone. I've waited over a decade for new Busted music and I'm going to enjoy it and discuss it with likeminded fans.

Now back onto the topic of the worst album of the year. I finally gave a listen to "Beautiful Mess" and those "Gone" comparisons are alarmingly on point, It's "Gone" with different, but I'd argue better lyrics and I'm a fan. I can't wait to hear a high quality version so that I can really immersive myself in it. Also, I watched a live video of "Thinking Of You" from some live radio event the other day and Charlie can't quite nail the chorus. It's probably the first track I recall him struggling with. He sounds studio quality on literally everything else he sings in his discography.

9. Schooner Nov 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 27, 2016)
    Schooner

Trusted

Oh and my thoughts on album @WhosBroden? being the last one to hear it now that we are starting to have the thread back under control from the people who have been here from the start

Only prob had 2.5 listens. Would've liked to maybe double that over weekend but got a little busy and managed to see The Rubens for free at my local pub which was unreal. And made up for missing Crowded House

Anyway...
    I quite enjoyed it. i didn't like Coming Home but as in intro to the album now I appreciate it much more.

I've really been enjoying OWYO. I always thought it was different but catchy but found now that was the song I want to play while driving hand drumming on my wheel and car dancing.

New York is great. Although I think I was expecting my fave ever Busted track after the hype I've been reading but think I still have Why and Crash & Burn and a few oldies in front of it still.

I think 5yrs ago I would've been off the 80s vibe and synth but I've been listening to a bit of music lately with that (churches, Tegan Sara, 1975) so I'm actually really digging that theme across the whole album.

They def have gone a few in vogue styles (tropical house that Biebs made popular) but do it well. But I could've done with a few more bouncey guilt based songs (which isn't out of fashioned considering 2 bands they owe a lot to busted were doing them in their early careers and a super popular right now 5SOS specifically and to a degree 1D and All Time Low)
    But if the guitar songs were to sound like McBusted then I'm happy to have Night Driver as it turned out.

All in all. I enjoy it, it's fun, it's meant to be fun leading into my summer this week it's gonna be getting plenty of spins over a few frosty beers on a Friday and Saturday arvo.

It did reaffirmed to me that Charlie is MVP on the record and Fightstar and solo are still on top for me

7/10. Reunion has been a success IMO

Play nice everyone. Give your family and pets a good hug everyday

beachdude42, emeryk3 and WhosBroden? like this.
  10. SpyKi

You heard Beautiful Mess yet? That's a bouncy song and fun as hell, definitely one of my favourites from the new stuff.

1. Meet You There
    2. Loner in Love
    3. Why
    4. Those Days Are Gone
    5. Better Than This/Can't Break Thru

New York's probably just after those for me, ha.

11. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, Beautiful Mess is decent. Upon first listen I was so happy it featured a lot of Matt who sounds great. Then Charlie kills a pretty catchy chorus. The album is missing a bit of that fun vibe. Also, I hate when bands do exclusive tracks. Hope they release it on Spotify at some point.

I can't pick my favourites as it goes through cycles and they've all been faves at times but top 5 Last.fm scrobbles are:
    1 Year 3000
    2 Who's David
    3 What I go to School For
    4 Dawson's Geek
    5 Falling for You

Wouldn't rank their new songs as high, but from the new album it'd be Easy, Thinking of You or Coming Home. With their best cover being Crowded House - Fall at your Feet.

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

ill say it one more time: if you're uncomfortable or whatever because of what someone says about an album thats on you. they are not personal attacks on you.

trevorshmevor, Nick, Kuri44 and 3 others like this.
  13. Schooner

Trusted

Everyone's moved on dude

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  14. Schooner Nov 27, 2016
    Schooner

Trusted

Ohhhh I forgot they sang Fall At Your Feet!!
    I was watching the Crowded House live telecast from the Opera House last night and it came on and its the most beautiful song and I was trying to think of who covered it other than the excellent Boy & Bear version. Bloody Busted!!

Yew! Bonus tracks! I'm gonna go look it up right now. I didn't realise there had been any. Speaking of Meet You There I think that's in my top3 as well forgot about that one.
    What's this song Gone mentioned earlier. Or that's just short speak for These days are gone

emeryk3 likes this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

not the guy who came in here with four paragraphs and expected no one to respond to him

WhosBroden? likes this.
  16. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Do people not like the McBusted album? I'd rank it pretty evenly with Night Driver tbh (7/10). Very different vibes but had a more traditional Busted sound. There's definitely some catchy songs on there too, imo: Air Guitar, What Happened to your Band, I see Red, Get Over It, etc. Night Driver features a lot of James' old b-sides (ie Gone, One of a Kind, etc) as he already released his other material as McBusted, ie Night Driver probably would have had What Happened to your Band if McBusted didn't release it - which would've been really fitting.

17. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, I love that they did a completely different take on the song.

'Gone' is an old Call Me When I'm 18 (James' old side project) song. See below:

It's now a Busted Night Driver bonus track called 'Beautiful Mess':

18. Schooner

Trusted

I'll be honest and didn't give it much of a chance. Maybe only a couple listens (I've this week put it back on my iPod and will)

But my first impressions of McB I felt it a little uninspired/rushed/phoned in (which it may not have been but that's the vibe I felt)

I also never got into mcfly so a band with 66% of them was always gonna behind the 8ball for me getting into it like a full Busted one would

19. Schooner

Trusted

Ohhh right! Thanks for links! Will listen now

Ps. what's Gone by McBusted? Or that's just unrelated but same title?

Pps. I just heard about Charlie literally making lawyers and band members put their balls on the table for the album. What the hell?! Hahah
    Busted's Charlie ‘made band literally get their balls out' before signing deal

20. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, it was pretty rushed. They didn't even expect to do tours nevermind an album. But it seemed a nice outlet for them to try different songs and it was stepping stone for the Busted reunion. I used to dislike McFly but that changed around the Above the Noise record and they've grown significantly as musicians. Danny's voice can arguably rival Charlie's at times. If their new album has songs like Red or Touch the Rain then I'll prefer them over today's Busted. It'll be a shame if McBusted charts higher than Busted's Night Driver though.

Schooner likes this.
  21. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, I remember seeing the tracklist and thinking it was James' old 'Gone' song but nah, they're different unrelated tracks but same title.

Hahaha, that's great. I love that he's actually having fun in the band. It's nice knowing everything is on their terms this time around.

Schooner likes this.
  22. WhosBroden? Nov 27, 2016
    WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

I didn't mind the McBusted record. It had a few gems ("What Happened To Your Band", "I See Red", and "23:59") but overall it fell a little flat and wasn't as memorable as I'd envisioned it to be when it was first announced.

If we're ranking top five songs, that's difficult. I have a bias towards A Present For Everyone since that's the record that got me hooked on music in the first place. I reckon if that album was ever lost and fell off the face of the earth, I could replicate it, restore it and put it back together piece by piece I've played it that much!

1. Who's David
    2. New York
    3. Loner In Love
    4. Everything I Knew
    5. Can't Break Thru

It killed me leaving out "Why", "Without You", "Losing You", "Meet You There", etc.

SpyKi, Schooner and emeryk3 like this.
  23. Schooner

Trusted

Oh shit yeah. That bonus track is great. Charlie just unleashes in that last minute. Sounds so much better with the 3 of them rather than just James

SpyKi and emeryk3 like this.
  24. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, James hasn't really had any special vocal moments on this album or live. But he is the guy who writes all the songs tbf. Matt is usually good vocally and definitely needs to sing more. Charlie's just the toothpaste on the toothbrush for any song.

WhosBroden? and Schooner like this.
  25. Schooner

Trusted

*Insert joke about British people having bad teeth here*

emeryk3 likes this.