Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Burning (Lee Chang-dong, 2018)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by yung_ting, Dec 20, 2018.

1. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Deserves it's own thread now that it's making the rounds and surely will/should be one of the most talked about films of the year

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Really enjoyed this. The three main actors were all so good and the ending was very satisfying.

3. yung_ting Dec 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 20, 2018)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Masterpiece

Watched it this morning and I’m still thinking about it, there’s a lot going on and I am excited to watch it again and see what I pick up on/get out of it. It was everything I hoped it’d be

4. username

hey you lil piss baby

One of the best of the year. Been wanting to watch it again for a while now.

5. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Finally saw this and was floored by how captivating it was. It could’ve been twice as long and I wouldn’t have minded a bit.

Looks like this will be coming to Netflix late next month, too.

yung_ting and jkauf like this.
  6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Thought this was gonna get way more crossover appeal, boy was I wrong

7. username

hey you lil piss baby

I thought it did pretty well cause pretty much every I know and follow was talking about it at some point, but I guess it never hit more than 27 screens, which is a tiny release. I feel like, for a 2.5 hr Korean film not by one of the "big" Korean auteurs (Bong Joon-h0/Park Chan-wook), it did make a decent cultural impact. I can see the easy access on Netflix boosting its profile, since that seems to be how so many people discover (stumble upon) new work these days. The runtime and general ambiguity of the film makes it a tough sell, even if it is incredibly watchable.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

I've been putting this off for too long. Poetry and Secret Sunshine were both masterpieces.

jkauf likes this.
  9. Dog with a Blog

On Netflix

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I've been wanting to watch this for a while but the version I have has these tiny subtitles that are almost impossible to read so I've been putting it off. Definitely need to check this out now that it's on Netflix.

11. SpyKi

Watched Poetry today and my god, what an amazing movie.

I also appreciate Burning more and more as time goes on and I live with it in my mind.

12. atlas

Trusted

This movie peaks approx. 45 mins after finishing it

13. Morrissey

Trusted

If you haven't seen Secret Sunshine yet, that is a great one. There are a lot of important Korean directors, but Lee is probably the best of the bunch.

jkauf likes this.
  14. SpyKi

I haven't. All of his stuff is on my watch list though and it's been bumped up in priority now.

15. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Finally circled back to this now that I am on a post parasite binge of Korean movies. Thought it was a little slow to pick up but definitely worth the slow burn. The last hour is brilliant.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

See Secret Sunshine and Poetry as well if you can. He is the best of Korean directors.

jkauf likes this.
  17. username

hey you lil piss baby

I think Oasis would be my next favourite after Burning. I do need to revisit Poetry, they're screening a 35mm print here this season so it seems likely to happen soon. He really hasn't made a bad film, although I don't remember if I've seen Green Fish.

18. atlas

Trusted

Need to watch this again, been thinking about it so much lately. What a good ass movie

19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This might be my #1 of the decade.