Built to Spill Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nothingsforeverdude, Mar 14, 2016.

1. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

I'm all about There's Nothing Wrong With Love. Twin Falls into Some is one of the greatest things ever.

2. Sophos

Regular

this band is dope

Cameron likes this.
  3. Ugly Mug

The Thread Killer Supporter

Keep It Like A Secret has a permanent spot on my Iphone

4. sponsor
  5. cwhit

read my threads Prestigious

best of the big indie bands of the 90s, imo

6. phaynes1

Regular

Love them dearly

7. jordalsh

jordalsh.wordpress.com Supporter

Untethered Moon was really good. great band

8. DaydreamNation

In America, every puddle gasoline rainbow Supporter

One of my all-time favs, seen 'em live twice, and planning to see 'em again in Cincy on my birthday in June.

phaynes1 likes this.
  9. DaydreamNation

Fixed that for you bro

10. cwhit

yeah i can prob agree, depending on how much i weigh emergency and i over a fantastic multiple album stretch, haha.

11. DaydreamNation

Fair enough!!

12. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

i prefer modest mouse's 90's stuff to built to spill's, but that's bc perfect from now on never really clicked with me

13. Iago

coming apart at the seams

I'm a huge sucker for Keep It Like A Secret and There's Nothing Wrong With Love.

Serenity Now likes this.
  14. Horrorca

Trusted

I wouldn't say the best, but definitely 90's "indie rock" royalty up there with MM, Pavement et al - the guitar work in Perfect... is out of this world... I'm not really a gtr solo kind of guy, but that albums has two or three that I can really fuck with

15. Randall Mentzos Aug 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2016)
    Randall Mentzos

"Spittin' Facts" Ramsey Is the Truth

the live version of "Stop The Show" is absolutely unbelievable. holy crap. the guitars just work off of each other so well. there's two that are just wailing and going wild on the left, almost Yo La Tengo style, while the main guitar part of the bridge beautifully plinkets on about 2 minutes in, and after leaving that part instrumental for awhile, Doug just rips the vocals an octave higher than on the record. Made the climax of that song where he's like "after awhile you know the style and thats enough" etc. etc. really pop and sound bigger than the record.

You can hear all the different levels of distortion, you think it's thick and in your face and you can hear the chorus and delay and all that...but then both guitarists pull out the big guns and suddenly it gets so aggressive that you can hear the guitars buzzing in between the chords.

Highly recommend.

16. Randall Mentzos

Also, Perfect From Now On is a fantastic record. Kinda weird that the first and last song on the record are my least favorite and sometimes skippable but the middle, songs 2-7, are all 8-10/10 on my scale. I will say this -- since the songs tend to have like 8 parts rather than a verse and a chorus that keep repeating, it definitely takes several listens to sink in and to really understand how the song's flow works. The first time i heard it, I found it hard to pay attention because the music would sit on the same chords for some stretches and change every 20 seconds for other stretches, and I'd forget what I liked about each song when it was over. But as each melody and guitar tone and drum fill starts to become more familiar you slowly understand how all these ideas came together. I've loved it more and more every time I've listened to it since i got the vinyl.

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Randy Described Eternity is a skippable song for you!?

18. Horrorca

Trusted

madness

19. Randall Mentzos

Well, its a great introduction to the record but i feel like it gets serious once those opening notes of "I Would Hurt A Fly" kick in. The first song is more of a linear build and i think the songs get more exciting and uniquely structured after that.

Like if i was showing you the record id be thinking "oh this is just a taste, you havent heard nothing yet" during that song haha

20. cwhit

Damn Doug is a fucking shredder

21. pauldunions

Regular

This band has influenced so many bands. Wish more people would realize that. Saw them at Irving Plaza on Friday. They're a three piece now.

22. cwhit

Yeah, witnessing that right now. So crazy how much he can do on one guitar

23. Serenity Now

Entry-Level Audiofile Supporter

Anyone going to see BTS tonight in Pittsburgh, PA? I'm pumped.

Hoping they close with Goin' Against Your Mind...

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I really liked There's Nothing Wrong With Love, but they didn't become a band I loved til whenever I heard Perfect From Now On (maybe two years after I first heard Love). They're an incredible band, it's weird how everyone kind of takes for granted how incredible they are too. It's like if your guitar playing isn't like aggressive or just more focused on being melodic, you're glossed over a little more. When I saw them last weekend, my friend was really surprised by Doug's "J. Mascis impersonation" (not my words) bc he'd only really seen Doug play with two other guitar players and just assumed he picked people better than he was, and like ???? COME ON. Anyway Doug is incredible, still in awe that he was able to hold it down like that with just one guitar, while also tinkering with effects during songs. Watching his guitar playing was interesting from a songwriting perspective as well.
    Also iirc he closed with a song from Perfect From Now On at my show. The encore, I mean.

25. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

always thought it was filmore jive, but carry the zero might be the indie song of the 90s

26. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

when you say that do you mean like best song of indie rock in the 90s or favorite or one that kind of embodies it the most or?? Built to Spill is a good band to sort of reflect any of those things tho