Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bug Reports (First Beta Testing) [ARCHIVED] Bug • Page 7

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Melody Bot, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

yay, and now i have a cover photo that i like.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Let me know if you can't get it to work right for you!

5. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

i'm good now!

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. "Good ads" are hard. These look like ads from The Deck, better actually, which I consider good. Beyond the feed (DF, Macstories) or text banner model (sixcolors), this is the only sort of advertising I don't mind. I'm thinking pretty heavily about that for UTG, which is currently running some really awful banners. I'm glad you found a method that works for you. I'm sure someone will add your css elements to a Ghostery release at some point, but I think you'll be safe for a while.

7. The Deck is definitely what they're modeled from. I'm editing more of my main article about Chorus right now, and there's a lot more about ads in there — I'll post some in the supporters forum in a few hours (if I finish more of it) that explains some of my thinking about the whole "business model" idea in general. You may be the only other person that finds it interesting. Haha.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  8. I love this stuff. The business side of websites fascinate me because only so many are profitable and only a handful of those make their profit in a way that doesn't make me cringe. That sweet spot is what I strive for, so studying the businesses that do it well is super important.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Replicated this on the Windows version of Chrome. Found the post selection option though, so I'll definitely use that instead of quoting, then narrowing down my selection like a caveman. :thumbup:

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but sometimes if I'm viewing a thread and I post a reply but I'm not on the last page, my post will appear at the bottom of the page I'm currently viewing. Not a big deal because my reply doesn't actually post in the middle of the thread, just a small thing I've noticed.

11. It actually does this on purpose (it's a feature, not a bug). The mindset is that it'll let you see your new post, and a couple of other posts from the last page, but not lose your place in the thread. Where the cut off is you'll see this marker:

[​IMG]

So you can go back to where you were and keep reading the next posts, or you can jump right in to where the conversation is now on the last page. I think this helps keep people from piling on a post. Like, if you see something and respond to it, and then see the conversation has moved into something else or already discussed, it helps avoid people not knowing what the current talk in a thread may be. And it lets you be able to post from any page in a thread without either 1) jumping you all the way to the last page in the thread and losing your spot where you were reading, 2) not showing you that you actually made a post and thinking there might be an error and leading to double posts.

12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh, that does make sense actually, thanks.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Chrome Windows. Thought it was Ghostery, but it looks funny when Chorus is white-listed too.

[​IMG]

14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

The ads on here actually nearly made me buy a damn wallet.

15. More Chrome on Windows. I hate Chrome on Windows. I hate Windows.

[​IMG]

16. Jason Tate Mar 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 9, 2016)
    Are the twitter and facebook plugins whitelisted/paused? It messes up for me when those are blocked.

17. Shit, missed that one yesterday when I was making the other changes - good catch. Fixed.

18. I'll play around with it tomorrow.

19. If you can message me your IP address I'll look at what's happening between the server and you. If you google "whats my ip" you should be able to get that. I wanna see where the hop is dying.

20. Fixed.

schlotty likes this.
  21. Agreed completely. :fist:

22. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Sorry I didn't read through the thread so I don't know what as already been pointed out but @Jason Tate the emoji you posted on my profile didn't show up the first time I looked at it, it was just the code for it. It's there now though.

23. That was my fault. I used the wrong code. I'm still learning my own creation. Haha. :embarrassed:

morgantayler likes this.
  24. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

So, still getting the time outs. Seems like if I don't even try to get on for ~30 minutes it'll work for a little bit, but still come back. Like it worked first thing this morning and then I got the error after an hour or so, and then I went and took a shower and did some chores and came back and it worked for maybe 20 minutes. Weird.

25. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

@Jason Tate it's been working great all afternoon. Not sure if you did something. Sorry to keep bothering you, figured you'd want to know whats happening with it

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.