Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bug Reports (First Beta Testing) [ARCHIVED] Bug • Page 6

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Melody Bot, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Not actually sure if this is a bug or not, but when I made the Billie Holiday thread and put her real name (Eleanora ***an) it starred out the first 3 letters of her last name as a slur.

2. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I'd wager that the site probably filters out certain words as slurs using a regex (*word* to prevent people from bypassing filters by putting like punctuation after a word). So that might be what happened.

3. What do you mean by that?

4. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

How do I embed a tweet? Like, I try to embed it but all of the text stays in my post as well...

5. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

When posting, click on "media" and paste the link to your tweet.

Chris Yates likes this.
  6. Ok, I understand now. Playing with it now on Safari, and yeah, that is weird. I think it's actually how Safari is set up to handle the textfield with a scrollbar like that. It works just right scrolling down, from left to right, and then it goes all the way down. Holding shift and using the up arrow also works. But holding down and dragging up does not. I'll keep poking around to see if I can figure anything else out, but this one is strange and I can only reproduce on Safari.

7. You can use the media button, or just paste a link to a tweet and it'll work:

8. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

@Jason Tate Tried to change my cover photo to a better cityscape, but it won't change it. Bug maybe? Tried like four times

9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

This embed doesn't seem to look right on my computer currently

10. Screen shot?

My guess is an adblocker? Some adblockers mess with embeds.

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

it looks like this

Attached Files:

12. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Just paste a link, it's that easy? I love you

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. This is the one I see:

[​IMG]

Did you try a different one that isn't working? Does uploading it give you an error? Can you send me that image if that's the case?

(Sidebar: I made badges stack on the profiles and they look really cool like that.)

14. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

That's the one i wanted! Weird, it's showing my old one to me haha

No error or anything. It just says upload complete but still shows me my old one. I even tried to sign out and back in.

15. That to me looks like some kind of extension or something external is causing it not to load for some reason.

16. My guess is that it is a cache issue. The browser thinks it should still be using the old one, it does this to speed up the page so it loads faster, but sometimes it means old images stick around. Heh.

There are a few ways to clear a browser cache if that happens and force it to reload the image if that happens depending on your browser.

17. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

is there a way that I can get a url to a specific post within a thread? I enjoyed having this bookmarked on AP so I could immediately get to my post to edit it.

2016 Albums List

18. Also @Chris Yates that image looks so good there. I think my next cover photo will have to be a cityscape too.

19. The "time" on any post is the perma link. Right next to the username there's a date in light gray, that link will take you to that specific post.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  20. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Perfect!

21. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Clearing cache worked! It was showing fine on mobile before too. I think's its pretty sexy, and for the record, that's Chattanooga, TN. Beautiful here.

Side note: Do I get a trophy for having a sexy cityscape cover photo?

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. Haha. Actually a trophy for a cover photo would be cool. I'll add that to my long term list of ideas.

23. Your ads in the forum do a great job of staying there even when OneBlocker or Ghostery is activated. Noticed that before I became a supporter.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  24. Heh. A few months back when there was all that talk online about trackers and bloatware and ads and all of that stuff, I spent a weekend basically re-writing the entire backend for how I wanted to handle ads on this site. It allows me to, one, have full control over not letting anyone put trackers on the pages, to load as fast as humanly possible (and that's when I came up with my other idea of how I wanna do these as well: limit how many "spots" are available each month so there's not 700 shitty ads all fighting for attention and becoming a bad experience for the reader and a bad deal for the advertiser), along with that I hope they're unintrusive enough that they are what I would consider "good" ads that people don't feel the need to block. I also have a few little tricks I can employ to get around a few of those blockers but I don't know how often I'll do that if they do get blocked. More than anything I think my pitch to people will be: I get it that a lot of ads on the internet suck, I don't want these ads to suck, I don't want these to track you or do anything but be filled with hopefully awesome products and services that are interesting to you, if you still hate them, and wanna use a blocker, ok, can you pitch in for "ad block absolution" via our membership program and have them removed? Or sign up to give a couple bucks a month? I think that's a compelling case at least.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  25. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I've tried uploading new cover photos, but the first one I ever uploaded remains displayed.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.