Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TedSchmosby, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

This show, in my eyes, doesn't need a reboot. If they wanted to do something in the world of Slayers and stuff like that and tell someone else's story, that would be really cool, but a retelling of Buffy just seems pointless right now.

I also think it's really strange that they announced that Buffy will be black this time around without announcing casting. I don't have any problem her being black, that's cool. It just seems like instead of picking an actress who is wonderful for the role and the story, they are specifically making sure they make people aware now that the show is going to be all about diversity right out if the gate. Just seems like a strange way to approach it in my mind.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Yeah, the idea of a reboot done specifically to be super diverse just seems disingenuous. There's plenty of interesting ways they can continue the story with all the Potentials being activated but rebooting with a black actress as Buffy just screams cash grab.

3. mad

I was right. Prestigious

definitely unsure about this reboot

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  4. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Jason Tate and Rowan5215 like this.
  5. Rowan5215

thank god! That makes me feel so much better about this whole thing. The writer is actually passionate about the show and they're not trying to recast the original characters, that's all I needed to know

6. When people *complain about diversity* I can’t help but roll my eyes at y’all.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  7. Rowan5215

But no one in here did that, as far as I can see. We were saying that if they rebooted this classic show without a genuine interest in retelling the story, then it would seem disingenuous and that the show runners were more interested in putting forth a diverse image for a show than, well, actually making a good show. I have a hard time imagining Buffy fans outright complaining about diversity given the show's messages of inclusiveness, especially given that the new showrunner does seem to have a genuine desire to continue the story of the show.

8. If you can re-read that and think you were saying this:
    I think you should rethink how you word things. Your argument starting with “show runners were more interested in putting forth a diverse image for a show than, well, actually making a good show” is, as I said, eyeroll worthy.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm actually less into the idea of a sequel. The way the show ended was a mess and the comic is so damn convoluted. A fresh start to the character would be nice.

10. Rowan5215

Okay. Did not realise it was so eyeroll worthy to prefer when shows have a genuine interest in their characters and in telling a story.

11. To presume the opposite and blame “diversity” as the reasoning borders on a lot more. I’ll stick with rolling my eyes for now.

Tim likes this.
  12. Rowan5215

Alright, I apologise that I worded my first posts badly. My intention wasn't to be the "rah rah diversity bad" guy. It was just a reaction to news about a reboot of a deeply beloved/important show to me, and one that could have been cynical or disingenuous - not that huge of a leap considering the initial press releases worded it that they were actually recasting Buffy, which is news that kind of set the general fanbase off in a bad way. My issue isn't with diversity but with cash-grab reboots of classic shows, which from the writer's tweet above does not seem to apply to this case.

13. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

To be honest, I'm just psyched for more Buffy in any form because the Charmed reboot looks like shit and I need to fill my quota of magic themed TV. This and the new Sabrina I'm really looking forward to.

14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Part of me is admittedly a tad cynical when it comes to something like this. I hope they assemble a strong writing team that can do this interpretation of this character right, but part of me is pessimistic.

Still. The casting goal itself is always good, regardless of the purity of the motivation. I will 100% take cynical casting of POC over cynical casting of white people. If we're truly in a time where casting POC is more marketable, as long as they don't stop at one token POC and they get POC to drive the narrative... That's a win as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully the Buffy fanbase is "progressive" enough to not have the obligatory backlash. And, of course, hopefully it's good. (Truthfully, the less Whedon the better, probably. Even though his style made Buffy what she was. We're ready for a better version.)

Rowan5215 likes this.
  15. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

This is what I want to say but am a bit afraid to say in here. Buffy meant a lot to me growing up, but...if this comes back I feel like Whedon needs to go away. With everything that has come out about him in the last few years I think it’s time he handed this off to a woman.

iCarly Rae Jepsen, Tim and Rowan5215 like this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Nyquist likes this.
  17. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

18. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Hahaha that's fantastic

19. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm watching the season 3 episode "The Zeppo" and man it is wild

mad and Rowan5215 like this.
  20. Rowan5215

one of my favourites episodes lmao, it's so good

"I like the quiet"

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

does this hold up? I'd love to do a rewatch

22. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm loving it my first time through. It did take me a long time to get through the first two seasons though

23. the rural juror Feb 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 11, 2019)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

The network tv budget really stands out (in a bad way) against today’s environment, but the quality of the storytelling holds up really well.

ChaseTx likes this.
  24. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

First season absolutely DOES NOT but most of seasons 2-5 do.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  25. TedSchmosby

Trusted

The time I watched Buffy and Angel for the first time concurrently was the peak of my life