Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bruce Springsteen Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

In my car I have both Born to Run and Nebraska rotating in and out of my CD player, but Nebraska is definitely in there waaaaaay longer and way more often.

pachyderm and thebloodhound like this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Speaking of weird favorite Bruce albums, I'm pretty sure that Tom Joad is Jason Isbell's favorite album by the Boss.

3. Craig Manning

I thought there was going to be a Tom Joad defender in our ranks. I guess not!

I think Fallon just likes the looser sound and lyricism of those first two records. His favorite Springsteen song is also "Zero and Blind Terry," so he's not your conventional Bruce fan. Those songs/albums are probably just the ones that most inspired his writing style--which, listening to The '59 Sound or American Slang, makes perfect sense.

I didn't know you put Born to Run third. Not sure how I feel about that, Chris!

Also, surprised you put Devils last. I don't love that album, but I definitely don't think it's close to his worst writing.

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It's not even like it's bad. It's just really one-note, so I put it on the least. It still has the title track and "Youngstown", so it's pretty good. Just Human Touch, while it has some total filler, also has some tracks I get pumped to put on.

Also I was debating including ephemera like Tracks and The Promise, the bonus disc for The River and Live 1975-1985 but then I couldn't figure out where in that top 3 to put Tracks. so I gave up. Haha

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  5. ManchesterOrch8 Mar 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 10, 2017)
    ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

From 92 on,

Wrecking Ball
    Tom Joad
    The Rising
    Magic
    Devils & Dust
    High Hopes
    Working on a Dream
    Lucky Town
    Human Touch

That's a pretty easy list, for me. If the bottom two aren't LT/HT, I question your life choices overall as a human.

Edit: I just realized I flipped WB & TJ, but I'll go with it.

6. Craig Manning

Yeah, I mostly find it kind of...dull? The title track and "Youngstown" are definitely strong moments, but in general, I find the storytelling less engaging than Nebraska or Devils & Dust, and I don't think the songs are very memorable from a musical standpoint, either.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  7. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Ooh, yay!

Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Nebraska
    Born to Run
    The River
    The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
    Born in the U.S.A.
    Tunnel of Love
    Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.
    Magic
    Wrecking Ball
    The Rising
    Devils & Dust
    The Ghost of Tom Joad
    Lucky Town
    We Shall Overcome
    Working on a Dream
    High Hopes
    Human Touch

After the top three, 4-10 get really difficult. Tunnel of Love has skyrocketed for me over the past year, it used to be in the bottom third. Still hate the production on a lot of it, though. Still, the songwriting in there can't be denied. Some of the absolute best of his career.

8. cshadows2887

Know what's been on the rise for me? We Shall Overcome

9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Born to Run
    Wild, Innocent
    Nebraska
    Born in the USA
    Darkness on the Edge of Town
    The River
    Greetings from Ashbury
    Wrecking Ball
    The Rising
    Tunnel of Love
    Magic

I think that's about all I can "properly" rank. Rest of his albums I'm not fully familiar with enough to put them in any order

10. Craig Manning

Working on a Dream has actually grown in my estimation as of late. I think there was a time where I ranked it last.

Any word on his new album? I feel like it's been done since like the end of 2015, but he just keeps extending the tour. Haha

11. zmtr

Trusted

Nebraska
    Born To Run
    Born in the USA
    Darkness
    Tom Joad
    Greetings
    The River
    TOL

thebloodhound likes this.
  12. zmtr

Trusted

Nebraska is getting shit on in this thread woooooooooah

13. I listened to Born to Run daily for a long long long time and it was my favorite record of all time for quite awhile. I'm not saying I got tired of it because that doesn't happen with Bruce (duh!), but recently the mood of the writing on Darkness and The River has appealed to me more than the mood of BTR/Wild and Innocent. Also the guitar sound on Darkness is pretty much the greatest in the world so that helps tons too.

For the bottom five or so I mostly thought about which ones I had listened to the least. Devils and Dust is definitely the Bruce album I've gone back to the least overall so I guess it's my least-favorite.

14. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

High Hopes is under appreciated.

That's a Bruce record you can absolutely crank to 11 and just let it play.

15. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

It's been oddly quiet. I wouldn't be surprised if he put it on the back-burner to write some new stuff concerning the current political climate. Still, I'm dying to hear anything at this point. Hope he at least puts something out this year.

16. zmtr

Trusted

American Skin is a hell of a tune. I haven't given that whole album much time though. I should change that.

17. cshadows2887

The album is still a disjointed catch all but I feel like every year since it came out I've fallen in love with a new song on it, so it rises incrementally in my esteem

18. Craig Manning

I don't think it's shitting on Nebraska to say that he's made at least half a dozen better records.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I listened to Born to Run probably twice a day for the entire year of 2009. Agreed on the Darkness guitar sound, too. One of my favorite guitar records, period.

I can honestly say I would much rather hear whatever he was working on before the election, haha.

It's disjointed, and a lot of the songs aren't memorable at all. Like, I legitimately couldn't tell you what most of the songs in the mid-section sound like. But I think the first few songs and the last few songs are pretty song, with "The Last Carnival" and "The Wrestler" being especially terrific.

19. cshadows2887

I love "Life Itself" and "Kingdom of Days" the most probably.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

If it helps it has arguably his best song, Atlantic City, I know Thunder Road that's why I said arguably

21. Craig Manning

"Kingdom of Days" is definitely a highlight. That song is gorgeous.

22. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I've only heard Nebraska, Born to Run, Born in America, Darkness, Tunnel of Love, and Tom Joad. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who just isn't into the latter. I've gotta keep moving on his discography, but got sidetracked by revisiting The Smiths discography and finally into'ing Swans.

23. cshadows2887

Gave High Hopes its first listen in awhile and it's frustrating, but rewarding in spots. "Hunter of Invisible Game" is easily the best track on it though with some hindsight.

24. Matt Chylak Mar 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 13, 2024)
    Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Oh, I'm down. (Last Updated 3/13/24)

1a. Born to Run
    1b. Tunnel of Love
    3a. Darkness on the Edge of Town
    3b. The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle

5. Live 1975-85
    6. Nebraska
    7. The River

8. Western Stars
    9. Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
    10. The Promise
    11. Born in the USA
    12. Letter to You
    13. The Ties That Bind
    14. The Rising
    15. Human Touch

16. Devils & Dust
    17. Wrecking Ball
    18. Magic

19. Working on a Dream
    20. The Ghost of Tom Joad

21. High Hopes

Haven't Heard:
    Lucky Town
    We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
    Tracks

pachyderm likes this.
  25. I'd fix this ASAP. Most underrated of his records in my opinion.

Matt Chylak likes this.