Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bruce Springsteen Band • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I want everything. New. Old. Tours. Everything.

Saying Bruce can’t write ‘good songs’ anymore is really just untrue. In addition to what was already listed songwise, he wrote a god damn epic stage show that will destroy your soul for the entire two hours you’re experiencing it.

Craig Manning likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Best (Top 5?) post-Rising Bruce songs seems like a decent discussion topic.

3. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

this would be my pick for #1 post-Rising:

stijn_p and eagles1139 like this.
  4. So I'm assuming that the studio versions of "41 Shots" and "Land of Hope and Dreams" don't count. With that said, it was super hard to pick just five (which I think proves your point) and about half of Magic could have justifiably been on this list:

1. Long Walk Home
    2. Wrecking Ball
    3. American Land
    4. I'll Work for Your Love
    5. Long Time Comin'

Honorable mention: "Girls in their Summer Clothes," "Living in the Future," "Radio Nowhere," "Hunter of Invisible Game," "The Wrestler" "Last to Die," "Death to My Hometown," "Devils and Dust," "Outlaw Pete"

5. abw123

Trusted

Classy response, champ.

Yeah, those are mostly good, the songs you listed, and some are great. I was super excited and hopeful for this album. Wrecking Ball is terrific. High Hopes was heading in the wrong direction (for me). I WANT new Bruce albums to still be good. I have lost faith. I don't like the new song AT ALL. Maybe he will surprise me with the rest of the album but I doubt it.

This is a message board, no? A place to express opinions......? Or is it just a place to blow the artists that cshadows2887 likes? No critiques or disappointment allowed? Let me know.

I would love new Bruce records to still be good.....but I'm very skeptical at this point. I think the new song is one of the worst things he's ever done and this is the song he picked to be the single ??? I'm not sure the man can still write great songs like he could in 2012 and previous. Remains my point.

I hope he proves me wrong though. Have a nice day.

6. abw123

Trusted

Can't do just 5. These are my 10 favorite post-Rising songs, in no particular order

Devils and Dust
    Land of Hope and Dreams
    41 Shots
    Shackled and Drawn
    Death To My Hometown
    The Wrestler
    Terry's Song
    Radio Nowhere
    Livin' In The Future
    Long Walk Home

7. abw123

Trusted

Shit, Long Time Comin' is great too. Make it 11.

8. Brother Beck May 1, 2019
    (Last edited: May 1, 2019)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

The new song starts off pretty great but I don't really like the strings that come in... Maybe it'll grow on me.

I think Bruce Springsteen will be able to write good songs until he stops being alive though and no sooner. The man is a songwriting monster. The quality but also the breadth and depth of his songs - especially once you start taking a deep dive and finding his massive stash of absolutely KILLER unreleased songs.

I don't really like High Hopes as an album, but it did contain some amazing songs. "Hunter of Invisible Game" is definitely in the running for my favorite post-Rising Boss song. All of Magic is fantastic. FFS the American Beauty EP is incredible, and it always kinda seemed like an afterthought.

* Edited to add that I forgot about Wrecking Ball which is a fantastic album, especially with the bonus track "American Land".

9. abw123

Trusted

Yes, agree, more of the killer unreleased songs please.

Brother Beck likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Wrecking Ball
    Long Walk Home
    Devils and Dust
    Death to My Hometown
    The Wrestler

If it counts, "Land of Hope and Dreams" is my number one. Hearing the Clarence solo on the studio version of that song for the first time just fucking broke me.

cshadows2887 and Brother Beck like this.
  11. abw123

Trusted

I still remember getting that NYC live album as a semi-new big fan and hearing American Skin and Land of Hope and Dreams for the first time and just having my mind BLOWN that these were his "leftover" non-album songs.

12. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I did a very hard deep dive into his unreleased songs a while back and found a lot of absolute masterpieces in varying quality. I would pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a release of a giant collection of his unreleased music in top quality.

13. abw123

Trusted

Yeah, I have all the commercially released stuff (Tracks, The Promise, etc) but you know there are hundreds more just sitting there......plus alternate versions of songs, etc. I found the "rock version" of Blood Brothers recently, was previously unaware of its existence and it's incredible.

Brother Beck likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

15. cshadows2887

I'm inclined to count "Land of Hope and Dreams" because it's more or less reinvented on Wrecking Ball. The live version very much feels like a great demo now that the studio one exists.

I get legitimately emotional every time I hear that sax. Like EVERY time. Could not be a more fitting way to say goodbye to Clarence.

16. cshadows2887

Fuck, "I'll Work for Your Love" is perfect. Actually better than my token Magic mention of "You'll Be Coming Down"

DaydreamNation likes this.
  17. Craig Manning

I so vividly remember Wrecking Ball leaking at like midnight on a Sunday night and staying up to listen to it and chat about it with people in the AbsolutePunk thread. Definitely was wondering what they were going to do with the solo sections on "Land of Hope and Dreams," and just crying when I heard how they did it. In the book I linked above, I read that Aniello had to figure out how to change the tempo and key of the solo from one of the live recordings to get it to fit. But it's still so unmistakably Clarence. It's a truly magical moment in the catalog.

cshadows2887 and Brother Beck like this.
  18. cshadows2887

It's a huge credit to him that you'd never know it was altered.

19. ManchesterOrch8

This is bound to change by season.

1. The Promise (I'm cheating, but he finished it in 2010, so piss off)
    2. Wrecking Ball
    3. The majority of High Hopes are bangers.
    4. Long Walk Home
    5. The Wrestler

Honorable mention: The American Beauty EP is fire too. I know it may be a minority opinion, but I dig his vocals on the title track.

20. abw123

Trusted

If Wrecking Ball makes your top 5, which two of these gets nosed out??

Born To Run
    Darkness
    The River
    Born in the USA
    Tunnel of Love
    The Rising

That's a pretty clear top 6 for me with The River being #6, and I know Nebraska makes top 5 for many too.

21. “Long Walk Home” and “Girls In Their Summer Clothes” are definitely my favorite post-Rising songs on record, but nothing beats the live performance of “Gypsy Biker” that I saw on the 2008 tour. It was my first Springsteen show, and that song sticks out in my memory of that night even more than most of the classics.

22. Craig Manning

Mine is exactly this (actually in this order), except for swap Wrecking Ball in for The Rising (I think it's the better record top to bottom). I go back and forth on Tunnel and Wrecking Ball.

I don't hold Nebraska to the same esteem that many do. It's great, but probably the album from his 70s and 80s run that I listen to the least.

23. abw123

Trusted

I've got The Rising clearly in the top 5 personally, I think Wrecking Ball and Magic are pretty close to tied as the next tier for me. I'm not a big Nebraska fan either.....

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Did anyone else hear about this?

25. ManchesterOrch8

New single. I actually dig this vibe more than the first.