Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bruce Springsteen Band • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

How can the greatest album of all-time be your least favorite anything?!

2. zmtr

Trusted

My favorite.

3. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I think you age into a lot of Bruce records. I used to loathe Darkness. But as I got older, I probably go back to it more than any others.

Something in the Night is one of my favorite songs of all time, and the albums song writing is just perfect.

4. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I mean, Adam Raised a Cain, those lines are ‘effin powerful.

‘You're born into this life paying for the sins of somebody else's past,
    Daddy worked his whole life for nothing but the pain,
    Now he walks these empty rooms looking for something to blame,
    You inherit the sins, you inherit the flames.’

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I definitely didn’t know there were Bruce fans that didn’t love “Drive All Night” or “Price You Pay.”

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Can not believe Patrick stickles has such a near encyclopedic knowledge of Springsteen

7. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Stickles was def the best guest so far.

I’m enjoying these episodes but man I just love the live records so much more, it’s hard to go back to the studio albums for me.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

I liked the Fallon and Baker episodes more, personally. Stickles knew a lot of the trivia, but had less insight into the philosophy and meaning of the work, I think.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  9. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Was pretty mad about their attitudes toward Drive All Night. One of my favorites.

Craig Manning and Barresi like this.
  10. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Must be a big "Marry you" fan eh? I don't think that's true about Stickles, I just think the others had the benefit of speaking about their favorites which made them seem more passionate.

11. Craig Manning

"Marry You" is fine. It's not a favorite, but I don't think it's the trackwreck he made it out to be. I was more offended by his dismissal of "Price You Pay."

The River isn't my favorite Springsteen album either, but I feel like there are some deeper thematic things going on than they delved into. Especially in comparison to Darkness where Hyden and Baker really dove deep.

Granted, they had to be a little more surface level, since they had double the songs to cover, but I didn't personally get as much out of that episode because I knew most of the trivia tidbits Stickles mentioned and didn't think he had a ton of fresh insight on the album as a whole. The Fallon and Baker episodes made me think about those albums in ways I hadn't before, so I got more out of those.

Barresi likes this.
  12. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Definitely my favorite on the album. The number of times I've just driven around aimlessly playing that song...

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  13. TJ Wells Feb 25, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 25, 2018)
    TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Hyden needs to learn how to use Skype.

14. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

That being said, Julien needs her own podcast. She is fascinating to listen to.

15. Craig Manning

Patterson Hood’s story about running away from home to see Bruce is incredible.

That said, I disagree with almost everything he said about Born in the USA itself, haha. I think he especially misread “Glory Days.”

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  16. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Ehh I agree with Patterson there. I never liked that song either. Hyden brings up the dichotomy bw Springsteen's dark lyrics w/ light songs a lot, and I think on that song it backfires. Even though it's of course not the intent, it always seemed to me like the song taunted its subjects.

17. Craig Manning

I'm confused, you think the song taunts its subjects or you agree with Patterson that the sentiment is a celebration of "the good ol' days"? I don't think it can be both.

It's definitely not viewing its characters heroically. It's basically a song about burning out and living in the past because your future sucks. Might be one of the saddest songs in Springsteen's catalog, set against some of the most jovial music. I love it for that, in the same way that I love all of side two. A lot of good times gone away in those songs.

18. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Well I agree with him in that I just don't like it, but maybe I'm cynical. The "good ol days" thing just seems sarcastic to me. Like, it's easy to view it as a sort of comeuppance towards the high school jock, the popular girl, his dad. But that's not intended, so it's just always weirded me out.

I actually think one of his saddest songs - and also one of his best - in the catalog is Bobby Jean. I think that song captures the nostalgic sentiment a lot better.

19. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

Just started the podcast. Can't wait to hear the Tunnel of Love episode; severely under appreciated imo and probably my favourite Bruce record.

20. Craig Manning

I've never heard it as a comeuppance, mostly because the narrator lumps himself in with the rest of the characters ("I hope when I get old, I don't sit around talking about it/But I probably will"). I agree that "Bobby Jean" is the better song, though. That one kills me for a lot of reasons.

21. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I get misty eyed every time I hear Bobby jean, can't help it. I know it's about Miami Steve but when I hear it now it makes me think of Clarence, when that sax comes in, and that just wrecks me. It also resonates close to home too though.

j0nnymarrzbar and Craig Manning like this.
  22. Craig Manning

Yeah, I think of Clarence now too. The one-two of "No Surrender" and "Bobby Jean" also always makes me think of my best friend. The record as a whole feels like it's about friendship and nostalgia, to me. I wrote about that last fall: 33-45-78: Bruce Springsteen — Born in the U.S.A.

23. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I don't love The River but that criticism confused me as well -- they are among the album's better tracks for sure. Drive All Night may be a little overwrought but Bruce can pull that off better than anyone.

24. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

PS enjoying this series but haven't heard the Born in the USA ep yet. Looking forward to it -- a top three Bruce record for mine.

25. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

Finished first episode; was great. On Born to Run now. Going to try and finish most episodes this afternoon