Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars (June 14, 2019) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Having a tough time getting into this.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I expected to love this after hearing the singles, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I do. Every time I listen, I find something new that I adore about it. And "Moonlight Motel" is one of those songs where I need to stop everything I'm doing when it comes on to focus on the lyrics. Just genius songwriting right there.

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Choosing not to finish the Tennyson quote but to do that little repeat instead is just fucking brilliant.

Matt Chylak and Alba like this.
  4. cshadows2887

This is the first time in his career that I'd call him a thoughtful singer. And it's wonderful.

5. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Yeah I think so too. I'm not an expert on production or anything either but it just sounds like his voice was made front and center of the album, like everything hinges on it.

6. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This is definitely his most ruminative album. He's very good at writing his career meta narrative -- Western Stars seems to arise so organically from all the origin story / songwriting as "magic trick" metaphor.

7. dotKev

@dotkevin

I'm certainly not the biggest Bruce fan around, but man, this album grabbed me and has not let go. The writing is beyond superb.

Also a great driving album.

EDIT: I like Sleepy Joe's. No problem with it. It stands out in a good way, IMO.

Brother Beck likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

"Sleepy Joe's" is solid, but the bit of extra orchestration doesn't fit at all. Could have been cut and thrown on the next one probably.

9. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Will we be getting a review?

10. Craig Manning

Nah, probably not. I wanted to write about it, but I was so busy when the album came out and for weeks afterward that I just never got around to it. It's been a little too long now. I'll write something about it for my EOTY/EOTD lists, I'm sure.

11. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Its been a slow grower on me.

12. owenlongsworth Jul 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2019)
    owenlongsworth

Regular

Bruce Springsteen - The River / Born To Run / Rosalita

Found this at a thrift store today for 7 bucks in REALLY good condition. It’s a promo 12” for the UK ‘81 tour.

Also got Greeting, Darkness, The Wild & Innocent in really great condition. Darkness is also a UK pressing and in near mint condition. Had all of the original albums and sold off so much stuff last year and now I want them all back haha. I preferred the originals over the remastered copies, so this will be fun to track down the others again in good condition.

13. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Still a top 5 of the year for me.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

Same. I wish it had gotten more attention. I've been going back to it a lot lately. It's felt really appropriate for the end of summer.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  15. Really great album but I still feel like I haven't listened to it nearly enough

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  16. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Same.

17. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Listened to this a lot in the early summer, but just listened to it again tonight and.... yep still great!

18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this is still hanging around enough to likely get a decent spot on my eoty list. really, really enjoy this.

19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I am curious whether anybody who wasn't crazy about the version of "Sleepy Joe's Cafe" from the album likes the new version from the Songs From The Film album that was just released...? It sounds a little bit different to me.

20. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I like the song on its own. It fits sorta odd with the rest of the album.

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

kinda wish he'd tour this album on his own in some intimate settings, but at the same time i am ready for a 2020 e-street stadium tour

22. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Wish e street would tour in some more intimate settings

23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

it would be nice but i'd say at this point there's a 0% shot theyre gonna play in anything than stadiums.

24. Craig Manning

Arenas, more likely. Bruce usually doesn’t go the stadium route unless he’s in super huge markets.

25. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Lol. Oh i know. Was just stating.