Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bruce Springsteen - Letter to You (October 23, 2020) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Leftandleaving, Sep 13, 2020.

1. The best early birthday present anyone could have asked for. Thank you, Bruce, for continuing to provide us with so much amazing music.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I was talking last week with a friend of mine who has been a fan for decades, and this has always been his biggest critique of Bruce. Thinking about what some of those albums might have been with the band is crazy. I think Lucky Town would have been a classic.

ZooZooChaCha and DaydreamNation like this.
  3. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Speaking of "Rainmaker", can we talk real quick about how Bruce still has empathy for Trump voters that I lost like 3 full years ago?

4. zmtr

Trusted

It was randomly like 75 and slightly stormy in Michigan today. It’s been perfect for this album.

5. Craig Manning

Yeah, it’s 30 degrees colder in my part of the state. Also stormy though.

zmtr likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I will say there are albums that needed to be done without the full E Street. Devils and Dust, Western Stars, Wrecking Ball, etc. But generally yeah

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i thought Wrecking Ball was an E Street album?

8. cshadows2887

It is, but it doesn’t sound like an E Street album like this one. Which I think is part of the point. He uses these guys a lot, but hasn’t let them just sound like E Street often

ZooZooChaCha likes this.
  9. Craig Manning

Contrary to popular belief, Wrecking Ball is actually not an E Street album. A lot of the guys don’t play on it at all, and the ones who do I think are only on a couple tracks. I think it gets retconned as an E Street album because he effectively toured it as one.

Thomas Nassiff likes this.
  10. cshadows2887

It also has the last recordings of Clarence, so I mostly count it. Plus it has Max, Soozie and Steve

Craig Manning likes this.
  11. Yeah I also legitimately though Wrecking Ball was a full E Street album until Craig corrected me in this or the artist thread a few months back haha. Hard to think of it as anything else when I saw him play basically the whole album with the full band at Wrigley shortly after it came out.

Craig Manning likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

I’m really blown away realizing how much better the old songs sound with age. The acoustic demos of his overstuffed ragamuffin lyrics never really did it for me. They just sounded too same-y. Slowed down with the confidence of the band behind them, they’re in their ideal setting and the lyrics land rather than overwhelming you and they’re much better than they would have been if released at the time.

13. cshadows2887

Oh god, I watched the documentary and I was not prepared to watch Jon Landau weep while they record “I’ll See You in My Dreams”. Fuck me

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

god dammit ‘If I Were A Priest’ is so incredible.

15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Wonder if my local shop will have this on vinyl yet. might shuffle on down there tomorrow and see.

16. Sean Murphy Oct 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 24, 2020)
    Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

picked up the ‘limited edition’ 2xLP of this a few minutes ago, D-side etching that is pretty cool, and a really nice extra large booklet with the lyrics and some great photos. Don’t know what will be left out or different in a ‘standard edition’, but this was certainly worth the grab.

Edit: looks like standard is still 2xLP but just black, where this edition is a gray variant.

17. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Documentary was really touching.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  18. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Haven’t caught the documentary yet but I have loved this album this weekend.

19. zmtr

Trusted

How do I watch the doc?

20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

AppleTV+ or whereever you rip streams haha

21. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Album is great. Would probably agree that it’s his best since magic.

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Wrecking Ball *should have been* an E Street Band album, just like many of his other albums. But not all, as cshadows2887 pointed out - although we disagree about WB, the others I agree with.

23. I just keep thinking how lucky we are that Bruce continues to share with us, even after all these years. Not only through his music but things like the documentary are so special to me. It’s so corny but when I’m in the moment it feels like he’s speaking to me personally and it’s like he’s someone I’ve known all my life. What an amazing soul. I felt truly grateful for Western Stars last year and to receive another absolutely splendid album a year later is more than I could ever have asked for.

cshadows2887 and Craig Manning like this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

still wild to me that Western Stars was only last year, i feel like i’ve had so much more time with that album.

25. Swaddle

I have been listening to this record almost nonstop since it's release.

Ghosts, Rainmaker, Last Man Standing, and If I Were A Priest are huge standouts for me.

Has anyone else watched the film on Apple Music? It's wonderful, too.

Barresi likes this.