Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder (July 7, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tucah, May 8, 2017.

1. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

happy anniversary to the best BSS record (forgiveness)

2. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

spinning now, thanks for reminder!

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

...damn that's a bold take right there

4. OotyPa

fall away

Think my favorite is the self-titled, but I love all their albums.

5. radiodead

Trusted

You Forgot It In People is their masterpiece. Self Titled is their second masterpiece. I’ve always just “liked” Forgiveness. Hug of Thunder is absolutely fantastic and the EP’s from 2 years ago are underrated. “1972” is one of their best ever songs.

6. OotyPa

fall away

They've never made a bad record. Even Bee Hives and Feel Good Lost are excellent ambient/post-rocky releases.

Kevin Drew's solo albums are also really good, Spirit If essential BSS listening and Darlings is pretty good night-drive music. I like Brendan Canning's records, but admittedly not as much. Would love to dig deeper into the other solo/tertiary releases but I don't know all the members lol.

irthesteve, radiodead and Rowan5215 like this.
  7. Rowan5215

pretty sure every single Canadian musician has been in Broken Social Scene at one point

Henry, irthesteve and OotyPa like this.
  8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

KC accidental is cool too for their more post rock side

Rowan5215 and OotyPa like this.
  9. Serenity Now

Forgiveness was my entry point into this band, so it takes the cake. All the rest of their LP's are close second's to it.

10. OotyPa

fall away

Made me crack up. And throw on the self-titled. These guys definitely are a summer band for me. I liked Hug of Thunder but don’t return to it often enough, same with the new EP. Want to change that.

11. radiodead

Trusted

I love Hug of Thunder quite a bit (I mean it’s my avatar). The EP’s are not something I return too though, definitely the weakest collection of songs they’ve put out, but “1972” is an absolute gem and one of their best songs imo.

12. OotyPa

fall away

13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Broken Social Scene - "This House Is On Fire"

Broken Social Scene have announced Old Dead Young: B-Sides & Rarities, a compilation made up of some hard-to-find tracks from across the band’s two-decade-long career. It’s their first proper release since 2019’s pair of Let’s Try The After EPs. A lot of the tracks included on Old Dead Young will be familiar to listeners up on their Broken Social Scene lore, but there are also a couple of previously unreleased tracks on there as well. One of those is a studio version of “This House Is On Fire,” a song that was recorded around the same time as Forgiveness Rock Record and that the group has played live a few times.

01 “Far Out” (2009, From the Forgiveness Rock Record pre-order EP Lo-Fi For The Dividing Nights)
    02 “Do The 95” (2001, B-Side to “Stars and Sons” 7-inch)
    03 “Curse Your Fail” (2009, From tour 7-inch split with Sea and Cake)
    04 “Not At My Best” (2010, From the end credits for film It’s Kind Of A Funny Story)
    05 “National Anthem Of Nowhere” (2004, Early Broken Social Scene version of an Apostle Of Hustle song)
    06 “Golden Facelift” (2009, Forgiveness Rock Record outtake. Released on Globe & Mail’s Broadsheet Music project)
    07 “This House Is On Fire” (2009, Forgiveness Rock Record outtake)
    08 “Canada Vs America” (2004, From the Broken Social Scene bonus CD “EP To Be You And Me”)
    09 “Day Of The Kid” (2005, Released on Arts & Crafts 20th anniversary comp)
    10 “Stars And Spit” (2006, B-Side to “7/4 Shoreline” 7-inch)
    11 “Until It’s Dead” (2006, From Lake Ontario Waterkeeper compilation At The Barricades: Vol 1)
    12 “All My Friends” (2004, From the Broken Social Scene bonus CD EP To Be You And Me)
    13 “Death Cock” (2001, Very first recording with producer Dave Newfeld. Released on A&C 20th anniversary comp)
    14 “Old Dead Young” (2016, Hug Of Thunder vinyl-only track)

Rowan5215 and radiodead like this.
  14. OotyPa

fall away

new song is fantastic. I've heard most of the others (and they're :fire:) but glad to see some unreleased tracks on there.

love this band

15. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

Hate to be a hater but I don’t get the point of these things when they’re not comprehensive. They have more bsides even if you don’t count the the companion eps to s/t and frr.

Embarrassing to admit as a giant fan but I don’t think I’ve ever heard lofi for the dividing nights in full.

radiodead likes this.
  16. Rowan5215

whoa hell yeah. haven't heard most of those, Old Dead Young is a ripper tho

17. Serenity Now

More from BS is always a good thing!

Side note: I forgot what a jam "Stay Happy" is. That's on repeat today for a bit.

radiodead likes this.
  18. hollowmines

Regular

YFIIP is the only one that's held up for me back-to-front over the years.

19. OotyPa

fall away

Great album but I can't imagine digging that one and not liking the others, or at least the self-titled which is a better record IMO.

radiodead likes this.
  20. radiodead

Trusted

The only thing they’ve ever put out that was sub par for me was Let’s Try the After Vol 2. Everything else has been very good to great.

I don’t consider Let’s Try the After to be a follow-up to Hug of Thunder. Am I alone in this?

21. hollowmines

Regular

The s/t is like the big budget blockbuster version of YFIIP imo, cleaner and bigger sounding, and on the whole a lot more obviously "anthemic", but with less variety and not as well-paced.

After that I mostly just lose interest, though "art house director" from FRR is a bop

22. OotyPa

fall away

Art House Director is v catchy. FRR is general is one of their catchier records.

I love all their albums but definitely agree the 2000's was their best era (also thinking of the solo side projects)

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  23. Rowan5215

this song is so good, I can't stop spinning it. absolutely wild to me it took 11 years to come out

radiodead likes this.
  24. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

Agree with this, particularly around the pacing. I think both records are excellent, but it always bugged me a little how much steam s/t loses after the first three songs, which come out of the gate like 'fuck you if you didn't think we could top yfiip' but then it turns out they kind of couldn't.

With Radiodead overall though that everything is good except maybe not the eps. Pretty incredible catalog even before you throw in the solo albums and the pre BSS proto versions of Feel Good Lost type stuff.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  25. Rowan5215

I love EP To Be You and Me, such a good release to get lost in. this band at their jammiest is as good as it gets