Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder (July 7, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tucah, May 8, 2017.

1. radiodead

Trusted

I know. It's kind of a bummer, even just looking at the small amount of posts in this thread. Crazy to think this was one of THE bands of the 00's. You'd never know it. But the record is excellent and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Excited to listen to this after these reactions

radiodead and matthaber like this.
  3. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

K putting this on now

radiodead and matthaber like this.
  4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

gotta be honest did not expect to like a BSS record much in 2017 but this is fucking great so far

Kyle is hk likes this.
  5. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

:hearteyes:

Gjpeace likes this.
  6. radiodead Jul 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 9, 2017)
    radiodead

Trusted

More I listen to "Halfway Home" the more I think it got glossed over by music publications upon release. That song is a monster. The melodic gymnastics in the second half and that horn section.....woooo.

It's a great example of taking a band for granted.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This album needs to be heard by everyone. Same with their other stuff. It's (almost) crime that this thread is only 3 pages

8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

So this is off to an extremely good start

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Given how good it is (so far), I think yes once people realize that it's, ya know, good

matthaber, Kyle is hk and Joel like this.
  10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

They definitely released too much of this album before it came out. Shouldn't have listened to the singles :( the album feels shorter than their others

matthaber likes this.
  11. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Vanity Pail Kids >>>>>>

Jim and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  12. Kyle is hk

Actually maybe the closer is my favorite. You don't really get that type of emotion from BSS and I fucken love it. The lyrics are pretty biting too.

Jim, PepsiOne, Gjpeace and 2 others like this.
  13. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Mouthguards is so good. Those last three tracks really wrap this up perfectly.

14. radiodead

Trusted

8.4 and BNM. Well deserved. Hopefully that will help generate some more buzz for this record. It's this and Jay Som in some order for my AoTY.

I thought Cohen's review was spot on and in line with my feelings for the album. Lack of buzz for "Halfway Home", the final 3 tracks, and the great transition of the title track.

15. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

From "Hug of Thunder" onwards, this album is just sublime to me. Can't think of anything else this year that has struck me in the same way this does, especially "Please Take Me With You."

OotyPa, radiodead and matthaber like this.
  16. radiodead

Trusted

Just got tickets to see them 9/29 in Chicago. Haven't seen them in 11 years!

17. Jim

Trusted Supporter

This is so damn good

18. Kyle is hk

Mouthguards soty maybe.

If I see setlists with that as the closer I may go see em in philly.

Jim likes this.
  19. Jim

Trusted Supporter

This has easily become one of my favorites of the year. It's insanely good.

Does any one know who sings each song? I know emily is 3 and feist 7 but that's about it. I'm assuming Kevin drew is the male through out?

20. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Canning sings Towers, Ariel sings Stay Happy and Get Better. Not sure if it's Millan or Lobsinger on Victim Lover.

21. musicandlyrics

Xaxa Mckenzie

I haven't expected that indie music will be this cool. There is something unique about the vocalist's voice.

matthaber likes this.
  22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

There are two others I can tell are Emily and Leslie, but I'd have to specifically go back to know which

23. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Took a walk with this across our bridge downtown, which has one of the better sunset views I've come across, and the 2nd half played pretty much the whole time the sun was setting. It was sublime.

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I had somehow not listened to this band prior to this album, despite knowing about them for ages. This album is quite good and Protest Song is extremely My Shit.

matthaber likes this.
  25. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

:O, you need to go listen to You Forgot It In People immediately.