Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Britpop (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by EngineDown, Aug 24, 2016.

1. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Don't let me talk to myself in here.

Fans of the genre that blew the UK the heck up in the 90s but only really spawned """""one hit wonders""""" in the US.

Oasis. Blur. The verve. Pulp. Suede. Supergrass. Etc.

Shoegaze/space rock/madchester bands like ride, spiritualized and stone roses that have connections to these bands are also very welcome.

2. Inna Selez

Regular

Ok I`am joining this thread.

EngineDown likes this.
  3. EngineDown

Starting a pod about Oasis that I'm sure will touch on the scene itself as well, if anyone's interested. I'll post a link once I get the feed all set up

4. cherrywaves

Trusted

The first two Oasis records and the Stone Roses S/T are perfect records

I also used to like Ash a lot but they aren't very good lyrically

EngineDown likes this.
  5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Is there supposed to be something markedly different about britpop sound wise or is it about ethos or smth? I listen and mostly hear indie pop/pop rock. This isn't derisive or anything, I'm just seeing if my listens were too casual and there's something I wasn't picking up on.

6. EngineDown

I'd go so far as to say that Don't Believe the Truth and Standing on the Shoulders of Giants are also perfect records, along with A Storm in Heaven and Urban Hymns.

I mean, that's pretty much it, it's just most noteworthy (from what i gather as an american) because it was a marked shift from the trend of british and american music at the time that was dominating the airwaves. This led to the four or so major bands of the scene getting hype that is still pretty major.

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

That's cool, SOTSOG doesn't seem to have the best reputation, but "Fuckin in the Bushes" slaps. Really like Don't Believe The Truth. Honestly the only records of theirs I'm not crazy about are the last one and Heathen Chemistry, but I'm due to revisit the discog, it's been a few years

EngineDown likes this.
  8. EngineDown

Heathen Chemistry has a fair share of absolute gems but also probably the lows of their discography too. SOTSOG gets praise from me I think bc it was the album I got introduced to them by so it's always got a special place for me haha

9. stars143

Trusted