Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bring Back Comments on Front Page • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by The Format, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

How often did front page news comments actually lead to productive conversation? The times it did, how often would it last before it devolved into nasty bickering and blatant antagonization? This is a much better format.

2. chris

Trusted Supporter

I'm just glad 'why is this news?' And 'I thought this was absolutePUNK' have been replaced with 'why can't we comment on news posts' tbh

3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

More often than not the comments were full of trolls. Esp the past few years. It took away from the news topic itself.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Morkypep

I get that there was alot of trolls on the comments, but still it was nice to listen to a new song and scroll down and read what people thought of it while listening. There's going to be trolls no matter what. I'm pretty disappointed by this tbh. If there is a direct link on the news post to a corresponding thread i will be satisfied though.

5. Mike

Thanks for this. One of the reasons I liked AP was to see what the community thought of whatever. Was terribly disappointed that it was gone.

I must admit, I really enjoy the new layout and the refocus makes sense - just disappointed to lose all the comment history on the site. Hopefully this Article Discussion makes it an easy transition.

Jason Tate and Tata Toothy like this.
  6. AbsolutePunk

No affiliation with absolutepunk.net or Chorus.fm

Please no. The article forums make it so there is more effort needed to post comments making it more likely that intelligent conversation can take place. Making comment access as easy as one click made it to easy for trolls to find their way in.

7. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

I miss it as well, wish there was a way only members could see it or something so it works out for both sides. Sometimes you want to be able to post an instant reaction without going through all the back pages to find the proper place. That's kind of a bother.

Maybe if you can click on the band listed and it took you right to their discussion page? That would be really neat. Way easier than searching and finding the correct one.

8. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

So it would link to the article discussion forum related to that particular article? I think that's a great idea.

10. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I am also glad they're gone. It often felt like any of the comment sections on news articles posted on facebook full of misinformation, prejudices and overall negativity. I get sucked into that stuff way too easily, and that's on me certainly, but it's a relief they're gone now. I will admit that I made mistakes of my own in those comment sections occasionally, specifically after a certain story about Ronnie Radke last summer. I very much regret that and I decided to pull away from news comments for that reason. Now I don't have to.

So basically I'm selfish.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Correct. Probably a little speech bubble icon and link. If I do it, that's probably how I would do it.

DejaMoi and lightning13 like this.
  12. Colin Your Enthusiasm

I love the new homepage and reading the news there first. Going directly from that place to the discussion on the particular article would be awesome, much more convenient but I mean having them separate with no link is ok too. Now that I've read all your posts on this I do get where you're coming from but yeah I really like the idea of having a direct link.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. DeeZee

If Young Metro Don't Trust You... Prestigious

Those were the days. I'll miss reading that on every hip-hop post. I didn't notice it in recent years, but it was bad around 2009 when I first joined after lurking for three years.

I'm fine with the current system, but I like how it's done on MacRumors. You can only see top comments and hitting reply directs you to their forum.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Tata Toothy

Regular

I agree with you. But trolls are on every site, you will never keep it away regardless how easy it is to post or not.

15. Tata Toothy likes this.
  16. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

the fix is a luxurious compromise :ok:

17. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Being a bit weird on mobile i'll try clearing my browser.