Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bring Back Comments on Front Page

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by The Format, Apr 1, 2016.

1. The Format

Regular

I personally liked reading comments/reactions on the front page. Anyone else?

2. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

3. phaynes1

Regular

Nope. The worst part of ap bar none. Glad they're gone.

4. Sophos

Regular

comments on front page drove me into manic depressive episodes on more than one occasion so no thanks

5. heymattrick

Sending my love

Only problem with that is it only displays a small portion of the article. Totally understand the reasoning behind it. Hopefully soon the full news post can be viewed. Especially for tour dates posts, I can see challenges with only the first few lines of the article appearing in the discussion thread.

6. Jason Tate Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2016)
    I laid out my main reasons in the big post, but here's some more detail:

It's a possibility in the future that I'll include a small link on each post that goes to the correct forum discussion page. I do not foresee any time where I'll put comments directly on the article themselves though (for quite a few reasons I can expand upon if anyone cares about that specific part). The truth is that right now I actually wanted to make that a little more difficult, by design. I wanted to separate the forums from the content because besides AP.net itself feeling outdated, the news comments were the hardest thing for me over the past few years. It was really hard on my mental health and I need a break from that for a little bit. It was draining to me on many occasions and was one of the main reasons I almost took a different job offer late last year. I don't think many know just how soul crushing some of that got.

There's a good spot right by the social icons where a little "replies" icon and link could go. And maybe there will be by the end of this year, but, for right now, I just need a little break from that for a while. From the intensity and harshness of that being right in my face all the time.

I wanna make sure we get this forum up and running as best we can, that it's got good moderators, that the conversations are positive, and that I'm enjoying writing and publishing again. Then I'll slowly tackle that kind of stuff and see if that's something worth doing. If the culture here is great, and the moderators can handle it, and the other things I have in place to deal with people not being able to just create lots of throw away accounts to harass people are working, then we've got some options.

Hope that makes more sense.

Mokena, Supernova, Tim and 6 others like this.
  7. That's on my list to do in the near future. I did it for a few reasons right now - some technical (there's much more formatting in the new news articles (like the table effect I put on tour dates for example) and I'll have to do some testing of articles and what gets pulled in and how and what it looks like and what kind of extra style stuff or stripping I need to do. I need more news imported first before I can do all that and the test cases. I also need more time - haha.

The other is a byproduct, and kind of selfish. I want people to get in the habit of checking the homepage for news right now instead of just browsing that forum for headlines. I really like the homepage and put a lot of time it being a great place to read news and articles and I really want that to be where people first read things and not in a forum post - if that makes sense - especially long form stuff.

Long story short: I plan to fix it in some way soon to handle all this better, expanding the blurb, and handling different styles. But it may take some time.

heymattrick likes this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I felt weird liking this so I undid it , sorry you felt bad about yourself because people suck

9. Sophos

Regular

lol i know what the like meant dont worry!:clap:

10. TellYourFriends

Lexington, KY Prestigious

Tim, heymattrick and Jason Tate like this.
  11. Sophos

Regular

bring back personal life

St. Nate, Tay and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  12. The Format

Regular

That makes sense. I've been a daily AbsolutePunker for years so I like the familiarity and simplicity of the site. There's always an adjustment period so I'm sure that get used to this too. I just like reading the articles or watching the videos then see people either rip it apart or praise it - there's not usually too much in the middle.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

Bring back show reviews/setlists original name campaign 2k16

14. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

While we're at it, let's just go back to absolutepunk.net. Change is bad and everything should be the same forever

I like the linking to discussion. Idea tho

15. Tata Toothy Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2016)
    Tata Toothy

Regular

Personally I like this setup better. After awhile people will forget about the old layout and come to enjoy this new site.

I love the new setup, it's simple yet looks really nice and it's been easy to navigate.

Edit: for people who don't like the new setup, should just book mark the article discussion forum and view everything that way instead of the main homepage. That way you don't miss any news and you comment right there.

16. bring back scene points

suburban myth likes this.
  17. hauspunk

Regular

18. The Format

Regular

19. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

I think comments sections to news stories downplay the importance of the news. On AP, the comments to some of the actual news were pretty disgusting at times, let us not forget about Warped last summer. If something is to be said about something, I think a thread can be created here for discussions, but I support no comments on the front page. Not talking about AP directly but from other news based sites; nothing hurts me more than to read some eloquent news story set to inform, and then the comment section just be a biased mess of misinformation.

20. jorbjorb

7 rings

yep. Glad they're gone.

21. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

Not missing them.

22. I like you.

ForestOfAllusion likes this.
  23. mouood

ever seen a guy say goodbye to a shoe? Prestigious

24. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

No please.
    I actually don't even know what this is, but I'm sure it'll make me feel like a creep for lurkin'.

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. ARX39

Newbie Prestigious

best thing about the new site is the lack of comments on news posts. lot of times it resembled YouTube comments.

Jason Tate likes this.