Bright Eyes Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nothingsforeverdude, Mar 10, 2016.

1. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

yeah that guy with that voice with that punk band on the side

read music / speak spanish is my favorite conor album, but fevers and mirrors has a special place in my heart. i was never too big on wide awake but i rediscovered it a couple days ago and am loving it

don't know much about his post-wide awake stuff, but i love jejune stars

teebs41, coleslawed and troyplaysbass like this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'll defend The People's Key forever, I love that album and love Bright Eyes. I have faith they'll be back sooner than we think

Dirty Sanchez and coleslawed like this.
  3. troyplaysbass

reunion tour Supporter

Said this in the other thread, but I think I'm Wide Awake is the best Bright Eyes album. It's possibly because the elements that I don't like about his other work (long sections of songs that seem to not go anywhere, for instance) ended up on Digital Ash. But Peoples' Key and Cassadaga both have phenomenal songs, and "Jejune Stars" is probably my favorite thing Conor has written.

the best and Matt Chylak like this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think The People's Key pretty much ruined any chance of me enjoying another Bright Eyes album. What an incredible travesty that album is.

5. George

Trusted Prestigious

I wouldn't go quite that far haha, but The People's Key is an atrocious record with no redeeming features. Other than that, I love every Bright Eyes album.

6. Craig Manning

To be fair, I don't really care for any of Oberst's stuff other than I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.

7. George

Trusted Prestigious

8. Craig Manning

I have, but it's been a long time. Maybe I'll revisit. I passingly enjoyed his last solo album, but it wasn't memorable enough for me to come back to it much.

9. irthesteve

These

Are

Good

Songs!

10. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

tear the rest of the album apart as much as you like, but i'm gonna defend jejune stars till i die

teebs41 and troyplaysbass like this.
  11. mirrorsandfevers

what is the vibe?

The People's Key is probably my favorite album after Lifted. But, honestly, it depends on the week I'm going through.

12. Horrorca

Trusted

one of my favorite artists, many of the BE records are very personal to me

Fevers is an album I would listen to a lot in university, I kind of felt alone and miserable and would take refugee there...

Lifted I would listen to religiously whenever I was hungover when I was 21 y/o & was doing a lot of stupid shit - I would lay in bed just absorbing the greatness of the album - all that knowledge that comes with the confusion of growing older - this one is probably BE's magnum opus - can't believe he was 25 when he wrote this

Digital Ash, contrary to popular belief, is a fucking masterpiece - I listened to this one a lot during a time I was quite depressed and would abuse drugs - very special atmosphere and great songwriting - if this had been released under another moniker and NOT at the same time as I'm Wide Awake, it would have been received more kindly

Wide Awake is BE's officially best album, and with good reason - it is a singer/songwritter masterpiece, perfectly capturing a very specific feeling and moment - noobs should probably start here - mindblowing

Cassadaga took me some time, but I eventually got into country, returned to it, and now I consider it up there with the rest of the BE albums - love love love the string arrangements on this

People's Key is actually a really cool album, but obviously the weakest of the bunch I posted - if you like BE you'll like it, if you don't care about BE there's nothing for you here

solo albums and live performances, I'll leave for another post : )

I don't know, man - it's been beautiful growing up with Connor/BE and it will always be a part of me

thank you, Connor

ChaseTx, JohnR831, teebs41 and 2 others like this.
  13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I just started getting into Bright Eyes about a month ago. I've only listened to Lifted and I'm Wide Awake, but I love them both and want to spend more time on them before I check out the other albums.

the best likes this.
  14. Youarcade

Regular Prestigious

Everything is great minus people's key

15. Youarcade

Regular Prestigious

The b-sides album is one of my favorites

16. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I enjoy people's key.
    upside down mountain was one of 2014's best.

17. irthesteve

#IStandWithPeoplesKey

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Horrorca

Trusted

PK is pretty good

Upside Mountain and the s/t are Connor's best, and up there with BE

19. irthesteve

I gotta go back to his solo/Mystic Valley albums soon, I dig those albums

20. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Prestigious

21. Horrorca

Trusted

new album prehaps?

22. bedwettingcosmo

upside down mountain is only two years old...i'd be surprised but he seems to be well set in that IDGAF stage of his career so who knows

coleslawed likes this.
  23. bedwettingcosmo

meh

24. Skupski

Anyone get tickets to the solo tour? Just got 2 for Toronto, ticket prices are crazy in North America, $50 in fees!

25. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Prestigious