Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bright Eyes Cover Vic Chesnutt

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Bright Eyes has shared a cover of Vic Chesnutt’s “Flirted With You All My Life.”

Last year saw a welcome return of the much loved and influential band Bright Eyes; their mid-pandemic summer release Down in the Weeds, Where the World Once Was brought them an avalanche of critical acclaim and some of the most effusive reviews of their 20+ year career. Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis and Nathaniel Walcott’s nine year hiatus ended around this time last year when they began unveiling a string of stellar track releases. Today, the celebrated trio are back with another gut punch of a tune.

Bright Eyes take Vic Chesnutt’s devastating “Flirted With You All My Life” and make it their own; piano and languid pedal steel keeping a deceptively pretty, even keel before the screaming kicks in. It’s both a fitting tribute to the beloved Athens, GA singer-songwriter, who died in 2009, and a hauntingly perfect addition to the Bright Eyes oeuvre. We’ve heard Conor rail against the loss of loved ones taken too soon throughout the course of his recording career. This one feels as raw and real as any he’s written himself.

Says Conor, “I had the pleasure of seeing Vic perform many times over the years and from a young age. I can truly say he deeply changed my worldview and what it meant to write a really unique and thought provoking song. One of the greatest ever. Always missed. Here is our humble version of one of his best.”

This recording features the talents of Bright Eyes members Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis and Nathaniel Walcott as well as Macey Taylor, Jon Theodore and Andy LeMaster.

“Flirted With You All My Life,” originally a physical exclusive, is available for streaming now on Dead Oceans. The “Persona Non Grata b/w Flirted With You All My Life” 7” on transparent orange with opaque red splatter vinyl is available via Secretly Store and Bandcamp.
    more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

3. hermanthehermit likes this.
  4. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

We had DCFC covering that same song like a month ago, but it's still cool - both are vastly different, I like it!