Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon Talks About Critical Reaction to ‘Get Hurt’ • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Get Hurt is a good record to be sure, but it is my least favorite Gaslight or BF project. Some of it's due to compounding success over time, but this record sold pretty well if I'm not mistaken, and at least opened on the charts. I don't know how long it stayed there. There was still a late night TV circuit and festivals played. It's not like this album completely flopped for the band, but there was a different response overall. I don't think there is any denying that other songs were received better live, but most of the GH songs were a little more subdued to begin with. The couple times I saw them on the GH run the new songs were received well. Red Violins seemed to be pretty popular from what I recall, and lots of fans were requesting Have Mercy on social medias a lot.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I'd probably like this record a lot more if it didn't follow Handwritten, which i thought was a masterpiece.

Essie likes this.
  3. delvec19

Trusted

Brian is way too sensitive these days.

4. alexjlow

Regular

In regards to your reference of 'Have Mercy' live - when I saw them on that tour they did that 'Have Mercy' ending in 'Chelsea Hotel' cover combo and it was one of the best things I have seen live.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  5. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Agreed, compared to their other albums, or even other albums in the Genre, I feel he's ahead of his time a little with the songwriting, his message, and just the overall organization of how Get Hurt was put together. Talented dude that deserves all the praise he can be given...

6. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I don't see how anyone who loves music or cares about it as an artform can take anything that Pitchfork says seriously.

Raj710 and AshlandATeam like this.
  7. :chin:

St. Nate and Essie like this.
  8. myawrld Sep 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2016)
    myawrld

Regular

I never realized how far in the minority I was in for liking this album. I've liked all of Fallon's work but it was really refreshing to see him doing something different. I also come from the camp of Horrible Crowes - Elsie being his best work to date. It was really enjoyable seeing him break away from music that didn't fit the Springsteen Lite comparison he always unfortunately seems to get.

I loved Stay Vicious and thought it was a very grungy, atypical way to start the album. It didn't fit the standard Fallon opener pattern. I liked that it reversed the structure and had gritty verses and a lighter chorus. I thought songs like 1,000 Years, Helter Skeleton, Rollin' & Tumblin' and Red Violins were all songs us as Gaslight fans should come to expect. Where the album truly shined for me though was the not-so-common tracks that really tried something different (Get Hurt, Selected Poems, Ain't That A Shame, Break Your Heart). I loved the title track and think it's one of the better songs Fallon has ever written. Lyrically the song is desperate and self-reflective and the mood and atmosphere of the song really matches that. You can really hear that they worked with Mike Crossey on this track.

I feel like Get Hurt is very underappreciated in the Gaslight discography. The 59 Sound, Handwritten, American Slang and Sink or Swim are all great albums but the audience was beginning to turn after Handwritten. People were asking for something different and asking Fallon to evolve as a songwriter. I feel like they got that and didn't like what they got and asked for 59 Sound Pt. 2. I guess it just confuses me.

TLDR: I liked it, I don't get why people don't.

Ben Lee, alexjlow and Zac Djamoos like this.
  9. Michael Schmidt Sep 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

My favorite part of the Get Hurt album are the backing vocals in Rollin' and A Tumblin'. They take that song to another level for me. Favorite songs on that album are probably 1,000 Years, Get Hurt, and Red Violins in no order. I should listen again to see if that is actually correct.

10. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

See my earlier post. That was me 2 years ago. Pitchfork will always rub some people the wrong way

11. Jack Wilmott

I honestly cant really rank his material.

Horrible Crowes - I have to be in the mood for. Namely, want to chill out, close my eyes and stick headphones on.
    Handwritten and American Slang - Probably my 2 favourites and the 2 I listen to most regularly.
    Sink Or Swim - My copy is at my parents house so I listen to music on spotify. Only just got added to it so I am revisiting it a lot these days. Rough around the edges but its the "punk" album.
    59 Sound - Though I liked SOS, this album was the one that hooked me. Still remember the anticipation for it's release. Good album but I do get board of the tone. It makes the album what it is but I also think it takes too much attention away from the songs (Hence why I listen to AS and Handwritten more)
    Bran's Solo record - Probably one of my new favourite releases. I listen to this daily and study it in hope of being 1/10th of the songwriter Brian is.
    Get Hurt - Need to spin more as I enjoy when I do. Maybe It's a pacing issue but great songs none the less. Loved how they went off blueprint on the opener. Also sounds great live.

12. AshlandATeam

Trusted

1. Elsie (My favorite album ever)
    2. American Slang
    3. Painkillers (My AOTY so far)
    4. Handwritten
    5. '59 Sound
    6. Get Hurt
    7. Sink or Swin

Honestly, if GH or Sink was someone else's record, it'd in all likelihood be the best work they've done. There isn't anything Fallon has written that I don't think is excellent. It's just varying degrees of excellence here, IMO.

13. myawrld

Regular

Hate ranking but...
    1 - Elsie
    2 - 59 Sound
    3 - Get Hurt
    4 - Painkillers
    5 - Sink or Swim
    6 - American Slang
    7 - Handwritten

This could shift around but Elsie was THE Fallon record, 59 Sound was the game-changer, Get Hurt and Painkillers were the albums I wanted from him after I heard what he was capable with Elsie. I love SoS and the raw energy of the album. AS and HW I like equally but just didn't do it for me the way the top half of my list did. Painkillers is exactly what I wanted Fallon to write after Get Hurt. It explores new territory, revisits familiar sound and highlights what he's capable of. Painkillers coupled with the Georgia EP and the bonus tracks should be high up in everyone's list of favorite tracks of his.

14. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I did see your earlier post, and I respect where you're coming from. I appreciate that you can parse the shit from the Shinola.

It just bums me out that Pitchfork continue to carry as much credence as they do for basically acting like a bunch of shitheads. Which I can only assume means that most of their constituents enjoy that feeling of 'musical superiority' that their content extols.

15. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I'm the weirdo who thinks that Sink or Swim and Señor and the Queen is their best material, and the production on '59 Sound ruins what's probably a decent album.

I've enjoyed most everything Fallon has done, though. Need to revisit Get Hurt.

16. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I stay away from Pitchfork. Read a few articles and wasn't impressed so I don't ever go back.

17. Michael Schmidt

My ranking at least right now is:

'59 Sound
    Elsie
    Handwritten
    American Slang
    Sink or Swim/Senor
    Painkillers
    Get Hurt

I think that is fairly accurate from where I am at. This in no way means I don't like GH or Painkillers. I really do enjoy those records something fierce.

18. grimis16

Regular

As a former huge fan of the Gaslight Anthem, I can't remember listening to this album much at all. I think I totally forgot about it. I guess I'll re-listen now, but there's probably a reason I barely listened to it 2 years ago.

19. grimis16

Regular

I had this same feeling the first time I saw them in Orangeville, CA. But it was right when 59 Sound was released. I wanted to hear Sink and Swim songs but they basically only played songs from '59 Sound.

20. myawrld

Regular

Not weird at all. SoS and Senor are phenomenal and what got me into TGA in the first place.

21. grimis16

Regular

I'm in the same camp. '59 Sound is closer to the bottom of my favorite Gaslight albums.

22. AshlandATeam

Trusted

In general, bands play songs off the record they're touring on at the time. That seems like a weird complaint to say 'the band was playing Get Hurt songs on the Get Hurt tour/they played songs from the '59 Sound after they released the '59 Sound.'

That's... what bands do.

23. Michael Schmidt

The setlist for the GH tour was perfectly acceptable from what I recall. Naturally some fun cuts won't make it as a result, but that is a good problem to have as a touring band.

24. Jack Wilmott

Of course. I wasnt making a dig. I completely undestand why as many people seem to loathe them as they do love them.

I wouldnt quite go as far as ruining as the production plays a big part of what that album is. BUT i do see where you are coming from. It got old after a few years for me which is why im glad they didnt continue in that vein.

25. Jack Wilmott

Just to be clear. I wasnt ranking Fallon's albums just giving a little summary of my feelings towards each.

Maybe its just me but i find it odd that this site has so much love for TGA but nowhere near enough for Lucero who, while a bit more country definitely have the old time rock n roll vibe.

Lucero fans where are you?