Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers (February 9, 2018) Album • Page 60

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Shrek, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

After hearing what Jason Isbell did with the upcoming Josh Ritter album, I'd also love to hear what he and Brian would cook up together.

Donnie Ruth and CarpetElf like this.
  2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Butch Walker and Ted Hutt are both are musicans/producers. Didn’t know Jason was a producer too.

3. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Cobb did the second Houndmouth album, which moved them away from the Americana of their first album. And he did Side Pony by Lake Street Dive which is more soul/R&B-style pop. He's definitely got range.

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

If anything, working with Jason Isbell would improve one's guitar playing. I'd love to see Brian get an opportunity to work with Dave Cobb, but that may not be feasible, given his demand. Jason Isbell would be really interesting though.

5. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I mean, he certainly works with lower profile acts than Brian all the time.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Yeah, that's why I said "given his demand". I just think finding a common opening in their schedules would be tougher. When you have the run Dave has had, I doubt he is strapped for work. That's all.

Matthewconte likes this.
  7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

What a question! I would honestly be okay with Brian Fallon (and Gaslight) recording albums with only Ted Hutt as producer going forward,
    because I really do think they capture some kind of special magic that is very hard to quantify when they get together in the studio.

That being said, I also like the idea of working with new people who may inspire or push or challenge you to explore new areas in your songwriting and music. Two that jump to mind recently are the aforementioned Jason Isbell producing Josh Ritter, but then also Ariel Rechtshaid producing Brandon Flowers' The Desired Effect. The latter had reports of disagreements and arguments and blowouts between the two, yet produced an absolutely incredible record, and they are working together again on future projects.

Dave Cobb would definitely be an inspired choice. I would love to see what he and Brian would cook up in the studio. As other people have pointed out, even though he is kind of the "go-to" Americana producer right now, he definitely has serious range and has produced lots of other styles.

I am wracking my brain trying to come up with someone who would be ideal heading a different way into Fallon's discography and exploring some of the 'heavier' more rock and roll for lack of a better term sound similar to where they went with Handwritten and even more so Get Hurt. Justin Meldal-Johnsen springs to my mind if for no other reason than how fucking GLORIOUS Integrity Blues sounds, but I'm sure there are others. I'm thinking of how during the end of the Painkillers tour they sort of extended Painkillers the song out live in a way that was a little heavier and grungier than the album version yet was also very different than where he ultimately took his sound on Sleepwalkers.

.K. likes this.
  8. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah definitely true. I'm trying to be optimistic

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Guess it all depends on the sound he’s going for.

Producers really set the tone in the studio.

I’ve had the chance to document/observe/work in the same environment as some of the biggest producers out there on a compressed schedule. It was cool experience as someoneone who has no technical background in how music is recorded, other than watching my favourite bands studio videos and blog posts. It really opens your eyes to their role. And engineers.

10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

This is such a fun topic. I think in my head, I associate certain producers to bands similar to certain directors to across.

It never has to exclusive, but some pairing really pull out the best in others

11. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I feel like engineers are like the unsung heroes. Most people nowadays are pretty aware of producers, but I feel like even if you get the "idea guru" type of producer who just talks about what everything should sound like (Rick Rubin comes to mind but I will fully admit that I have no idea how much technical prowess Rick Rubin has or doesn't have in the studio) you still need a solid engineer to know how to make it all happen.

Jdaniels likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

The thing with Cobb is that he works so fast that he can produce 10-20 records in a year. I doubt they’d have much trouble finding a mutually agreeable time.

Jdaniels and Michael Schmidt like this.
  13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Does Brian work quickly in the studio? I felt Painkillers was rushed, but that’s my impression while listening to the album compared to what I heard live. Don’t know if that’s true.

Jdaniels likes this.
  14. Barcara

Regular

I love the discussion this is generating, exactly what I was hoping for. Especially the cool insight about the Flowers record.

I would be very interested in Gaslight recording a big rock record with Jackknife Lee, could be something cool.

Jdaniels likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

Another one I'd love to hear would be Jay Joyce. I feel like what he's done on the last few Eric Church and Brothers Osborne albums could mesh really well with Brian's voice and musical style.

16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Per Brian’s Instagram he has stoped smoking ... and has begun LP3!

17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Well I know what I’ll be listening to in 2020.

18. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Hoping it finally a summer release this time around! There's something about Gas...Brian Fallon in the summer.

Pepetito likes this.
  19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I listen to Gaslight/Brian year round, as many of you do as well, so for me sooner the better. Painkillers and Sleepwalkers were February/March releases I believe, and really brightened up a blah time of year.

That’d mean Brian would be touring the record come spring/summer if it can out late winter/early spring again.

It’s all win win though.

There hasn’t been much released from
    Brian since Sleepwalkers (2 alt versions and a cover), so I’m just eager to hear more new stuff.

I wish there were some HQ versions of some of his tour versions (like on piano) around.

20. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Good news on both accounts because I like Brian Fallon and I like his music.

21. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Apparently Rob Thomas is playing in Red Bank, NJ on 5/28 and Brian’s tweeting at him about coming to the show. I really hope he goes and that those two do a duet.

irthesteve and Jdaniels like this.
  22. abw123

Trusted

Glad to hear he's working on LP3, I cannot wait, the man has NEVER let me down. The best songwriter of this generation.

.K. and Brother Beck like this.
  23. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Rob just did his whole album with Butch Walker, I wonder if Brian and Butch have been working together on anything, seems like a solid match

RobJGolde likes this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Butch did Painkillers (and alot of the harmonies on it)

Edit: idk if you were kidding or not lol

25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I always feel that if I don’t notice anything production wise, that’s usually a sign I’m so focused on the music.

There are a few things on Painkillers I find a little distracting. I love Brian, so nothing major. Could have just been just solo debut stuff, or Butch trying to put a stamp on it. Nothing major though, I just Ted’s work, and if not him people have thrown out other names.

Really though, any new Brian will just be awesome so I’m not really complaining.