Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers (February 9, 2018) Album • Page 58

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Shrek, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i’d be down for Fallon’s Nebraska, but i’d also be down for Fallon’s Sorry for Party Rocking

Jdaniels, Pepetito, RJ Knorr and 4 others like this.
  2. prattsy

Regular

Painkillers was awesome. I got over Sleepwalkers very quickly but revisited it last week and it was far better than I remembered.

I've never listened to the Horrible Crows album - is this a big mistake by me?

Shrek likes this.
  3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

absolutely. i recommend waiting until you get dumped on a chilly November evening and are a little wine drunk to listen to it, but listening to it at all is the priority here

4. RJ Knorr Jan 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 4, 2019)
    RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

It’s one of my top 2 favorite Fallon releases. 59 Sound is the other one

5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

big.

6. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I sometimes think of his catalog in terms of their Bruce counterparts, but I also feel like it's kind of TGA=Bruce, solo=Petty, Crowes=Waits. Now I think we need his Brian Wilson.

Jdaniels likes this.
  7. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Potentially the biggest.

8. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Its an ok album. At the bottom of his gaslight/brian fallon/horrible crowes stuff.

9. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Crowes is my 2nd favorite Brian Fallon related album

10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Some of the songs on Horrible Crowe’s Elsie is top notch Brian. Just different enough from other projects.

11. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

It's my favorite album of his, besides 59 Sound, and contains some of my favorite songs.

12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Nighttime music. It’s crazy he did that album while Gaslight was so busy and popular.

ezmo311 likes this.
  13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

There was a period where I felt like Elsie was the best thing Brian Fallon had ever done. I don't necessarily think that now, but I still do put it way up there in regards to his output - which, granted, very much becomes a cream of the cream type situation with Brian Fallon - but I feel like anyone who considers themself a fan of him and his music is doing themselves a huge disservice by not listening to it.

.K. likes this.
  14. abw123

Trusted

I'm excited to hear what comes next. Agree with most of the comments above - ridiculously good run over the last 12 years, just remarkably consistent, every album is great. I don't really care what he does next. I have faith it will be terrific.

The Jeff Lynne comment was inspired, by the way. That would be cool. While I get the Bruce comments, I've always thought Brian's songwriting had just as much in common with Petty as it does Bruce.

Out of curiosity, are the Bruce comments he gets more based on the music, the lyrics, or the delivery/voice? I hear it more in the lyrics/voice than I do in the music - the Gaslight stuff especially, the music doesn't sound much like Bruce at all to me.

Certainly something like Open All Night is more Bruce-y.

Alba likes this.
  15. AshlandATeam

Trusted

It’s entirely possible Elsie is my favorite album of all time. Not just Fallon; period.

It feels like a person who likes Brian Fallon should carve out the time to listen to Elsie, is what I’m trying to say.

ezmo311, Jdaniels and Joe4th like this.
  16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Regional and personal connections after the fact are why people have so heavily linked him and Bruce. Brian obviously has a lot of influencers.

I remember reading from some interview that before each album they practiced a Tom Petty song together as a band. I think this was around the time of Handwritten. They recorded a cover of You Got Lucky which is awesome and I’ve seen videos of them performing American Girl live on YouTube

Jdaniels likes this.
  17. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Sat it in the coffee shop and listened to Elsie again. It’s his best record.

18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It was a bold move to do that record at that time in my mind. Gaslight was going strong. It was Brian, just in a different light for most fans. It created a new opportunity for Ian, which can sometimes create tensions in a band. Also think it was great for Side One to put this out and support their artists creativity. Also, showed off a different sound for Ted/Brian and now Ian.

Ben Lee likes this.
  19. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

And also impressive when you look at the timeline:

June 2010 - American Slang
    September 2011 - Elsie
    July 2012 - Handwritten

Three very different GREAT albums pumped out in consecutive years. I am in “Handwritten is right there with 59’ Sound” club. So that being the third output is even more remarkable.

Kuri44, Jdaniels, JBoch and 2 others like this.
  20. abw123

Trusted

Does anyone know what Brian is doing right now / can I assume he's writing new songs ??

21. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

god I hope so.

22. JM95

Trusted

For some reason, I don't think I even listened to this last year. Is it good? I really liked Painkillers.

23. DannyZach

Trusted

Painkillers on steroids

24. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I like to think of it as American Slang mixed with Painkillers

25. JM95

Trusted

That sounds pretty dangerous for my health.