Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers (February 9, 2018) Album • Page 54

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Shrek, Oct 24, 2017.

1. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

In his defense though, Sleepwalkers got eclipsed by the news of Gaslight doing a 59 Sound tour.

2. abw123

Trusted

I'm excited to see what he does next. Imagine he'll be recording something new in 2019

3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I feel bad for him when he announces his next solo album. The initial reaction from a huge percentage of his fans is not going to be positive because they stupidly will expect a Gaslight album next.

Sure the announcement of a new Gaslight album would instantly put that as the most anticipated album of my lifetime, but I’m not going to ever get false hope. They never said, hinted, or made us think that would be likely.

Both post-Gaslight albums have been incredibly solid and I just appreciate him consistently pumping out great music. I would argue he is up there as the most consistent musician in the past decade.

2017-2018: 8 albums (with only 1 getting poor reactions despite it being FINE) and a solid little EP in there. Imagine someone releasing American Slang, Elsie, and Handwritten in 3 straight years?

I’m just talking on and on cause I’m bored at work!

4. abw123

Trusted

Agree with all of this x10000000

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

If you were listing the best Brian Fallon solo songs would it be wrong to include Horrible Crowes? Does Brian ever play those songs live? I haven't had the chance to see him solo :(

6. DannyZach

Trusted

I'd say always

7. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Oh yes!

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  8. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

The first time I saw his solo show, he played Sugar, Last Rites, Ladykiller, Crush then closed with Behold the Hurricane. It was amazing.

9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I feel like he played half of Elsie when I saw him on the Painkillers tour.

10. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

obligatory Elsie is just ok post.

11. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Elsie is his second best work

Matt Chylak and Slangster like this.
  12. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I respect this.

I definitely don’t put it in my top 3 of his work, but I just can’t glaze over an album which has Behold the Hurricane, Blood Loss, Black Betty & the Moon, Crush, and Lady Killer. I’m not super high on I Witnessed a Crime and IBJBUT, but I think the highs on the album are so high to make me consider it good!

Plus, it was an album sandwiched between American Slang and Handwritten, literally all 1 year apart. I certainly admire that effort.

13. abw123

Trusted

Elsie is my 8th favorite of the 8.

Pepetito likes this.
  14. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Love Elsie. I now consider it his first solo album even if that is wrong. If only he called it Brian Fallon and the Horrible Crowes, Butch Walker style, my conundrum would have never been

15. abw123

Trusted

I consider it his first solo album as well

16. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Hi...all of you talking down Elsie are wrong. It's okay to be wrong, you shouldn't feel bad. But you are wrong.

Matt Chylak and Joe4th like this.
  17. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Hi...all of you talking up Elsie are wrong. It's okay to be wrong, you shouldn't feel bad. But you are wrong.

Sal Paradise likes this.
  18. abw123

Trusted

You misinterpret. Let me put it another, happier way.

Elsie is my 8th favorite album of the last decade. It just happens to fall behind the other 7 TGA and BF albums.

19. DannyZach

Trusted

Elsie is top

Matt Chylak and Joe4th like this.
  20. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

59 Sound
    Elsie/Handwritten/American Slang
    Sink or Swim
    Sleepwalkers
    Painkillers/Get Hurt

21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I still listen to both all the time. Sleepwalkers is even more up my alley and this is my AOTY. It also ranked really high on the mid year rankings in here. Not bad considering it came out in February and was still so highly thought of at the end of June.

22. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Oh absolutely! I think this community keeps them at front of mind, but after The TGA anthem tours it seemed to get lost in that excitement. I feel like he needs to churn out records as a solo artist a lot more quickly.

Maybe that’s just because Painkillers and Sleepwalkers came so close together.

23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Painkillers and Sleepwalkers were two years apart which is pretty normal.

I do agree, it’s a big momentum shift from doing the solo thing, then reunion shows. They were smart to release the ‘59 Sound sessions to allow some Gaslight hype, which worked very well.

As Brian slides back in to solo mode, it would have been great to get a covers EP, or some b-sides like a Georgia EP if you had anything extra recorded during the Sleepwalkers sessions. I still wish there had been a quality version of his band doing Atalantic City. Maybe he could have released an acoustic version of another Sleepwalkers song.

24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh we doing rankings again?

The '59 Sound
    Elsie

Handwritten
    Sleepwalkers
    Sink or Swim
    Painkillers
    American Slang

Get Hurt

Joe4th likes this.