Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers (February 9, 2018) Album • Page 51

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Shrek, Oct 24, 2017.

1. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

That's really messed up that some people still haven't got their order and it looks like I might be getting a second one shipped to me. Hopefully Brian is made aware of this so his team doesn't use the same people again.

2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Well, it's May 14 and the album that was released on February 9 that I preordered in October finally arrived. When I put it like that, it seems rather absurd.

That said - the red vinyl is beautiful and I can't imagine the art prints for each individual song being any cooler; they are absolutely awesome. Also I forgot a t-shirt came with it, so that's a fun bonus.

But yeah, as happy as I am with what I got, I can't imagine dealing with that webstore again.

Jdaniels likes this.
  3. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Hi yes excuse me...maybe unrelated...but American Slang is underrated and maybe the best album ever...kthxbye

4. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I have a hard time believing it is underrated at all.

5. MidDave

If it's not the subject of every "you know what's good" conversation than by default it is underrated.

6. I feel about AS what i feel about Sleepwalkers. Great songwriting - boring production that barely changes song to song making the record feel drab.

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

People expect production to change significantly from song to song on the same album? That's...odd.

FTank, AshlandATeam and Joe4th like this.
  8. MidDave

That would make it feel schizophrenic.

9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Regardless if the '59-Sound is your favorite Gaslight record, due to the jump in popularity for the band with that record, American Slang is about as good of a follow up as you could expect. That record more than kept their ascent going and lead to their record with a little radio play and some publishing royalties. American Slang is a very good album. It would be a lot of band's best album.

10. I think it’s fairly common to vary guitar tones/snare drum sounds song to song to keep things fresh.

To me, most of AS sounds like the exact same settings/sounds for every song except the closer, naturally.

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I guess the only Gaslight album that feels to me like it has varied production from track to track is Get Hurt, and I think that actually ends up being to its detriment. I think American Slang changes things up on that front more than The '59 Sound, too.

jpmalone4 likes this.
  12. I can definitely see your point. I guess I’m just not the biggest fan of Ted Hutt’s production.

That being said, I love TGA and Fallon regardless.

I’m probably being nitpicky iver nothing, admittedly. It’s a character flaw haha.

13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I like Ted’s production of Brian music. It’s like a photographer capturing a candid moment instead of posing a moment to try and make it feel genuine.

These guys make the moments. Some bands benefit or require from more direction. I feel like Teds experience in a band probably helped him read these guys.

14. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Unpopular opinion which I’ve posted the GA thread before, but American Slang’s only mis-step is “The Queen of Lower Chelsea” imo. It’s not a bad song, but it does ‘t really go anywhere. I dig the production on the album though especially with the drum and bass tones, and it’s definitely a great follow up to The 59 Sound.

15. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I adore American Slang

Can’t imagine how someone who enjoys Gaslight couldn’t honestly

AshlandATeam likes this.
  16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I absolutely love everything Ted Hutt has produced with Brian Fallon. They make magic together. Not that I want him to do this, mind, but if he could only work with one producer ever again I'd have to pick Ted Hutt.

I can't say I agree that Queen of Lower Chelsea is a misstep per se, but I do have to admit that if the song blew wide open at the point you always think it's going to I would not have minded at all.

Have to do a quick shout out to Brian's production work on Matthew Ryan's Hustle Up Starlings. Amazing album with gorgeous, top-notch production. Especially when you read about how quick and cheap they had to make it.

Jdaniels and .K. like this.
  17. henryviolence

Queen of Lower Chelsea is legit my favourite song on American Slang. Top 5 GA songs imo.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I like Queen of Lower Chelsea. Very Clash and groovy. I don’t know where it needs to go other than into my speakers

19. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

@Brother Beck said it best, after the bridge, you feel like it’s going to open up into this big chorus, but it doesn’t. It just doesn’t do much for me. On the other hand WDIWWWY is a similarly structured song, but that final chorus gives me chills every time. To each their own, i guess. I agree also that there’s some kind of magic that happens when you get Brian and Ted Hutt in the studio together.

20. MidDave

If anyone in here is planning on buying the 59 Sound Sessions record but doesn't want the book...Let's go halvsies! I get the book, you get the record and the poster.

Jdaniels likes this.
  21. AshlandATeam

Trusted

American Slang is my favorite Gaslight album.

Zac Djamoos and DannyZach like this.
  22. DannyZach

Trusted

Same

23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I don't know if I can definitively pick a favorite, but I do have to say that every time I listen to American Slang I am blown away at how amazing it is. It is just so damn good.

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

yeah i've said before that it's my far away least favorite song but i've never skipped it because it's still actually a good song lol. A/S gets alot of weird hate but I love the record. it's my go to hot sweaty summer day album.

25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I definitely consider American Slang a stone cold classic album. Five stars.

If I had to critique it objectively I would say that the opener and the closer are a hair weaker than the other songs, but only the tiniest fraction of a bit. Like 4.98 stars out of 5. That eight song stretch from Stay Lucky to The Spirit of Jazz though is one of the all-time best ever.