Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers (February 9, 2018) Album • Page 41

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Shrek, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I personally think Open All Night is better than See You On The Other Side, not to say the latter is bad by any stretch though. The closing of Open All Night just kills me every time.

"And I will never know the town where you finally settled down
    With the top back on a Cadillac and your sunglasses on
    And you can't make me whole, I have to find that on my own
    But I held you, babe, a long, long time ago, and we were open all night long"

ECV, DannyZach, RobJGolde and 3 others like this.
  2. abw123

Trusted

That was the song off Painkillers that took the longest to "hit" for me, but when it did, it shot up my personal rankings of that album.

3. eagles1139

Regular

The little story/explanation Brian gives before this performance of "Open All Night" gives me chills.

"I don't think that has to be a young man's game, I think that can be anybody's game. So maybe once in a while you stay up all night talking to somebody about nothing."

RobJGolde and RJ Knorr like this.
  4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I legitimately just got all teared up watching that video of Brian playing Open All Night on acoustic guitar. Crying by the end of the song. Not sure what it was about that version, but I think it might've been his intro about it not being just a young man's game. I love the song and it's probably my favorite on Painkillers, but I've definitely never had that reaction before.

Jdaniels and eagles1139 like this.
  5. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

The only new, still shrink-wrapped, non-RSD record I've bought in the last five years that didn't have one was Sheer Mag last year, and when I emailed them they said it was a mistake and emailed me a link. And I didn't harass anybody, I emailed them asking for it and they just said no.

6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Both are fantastic for different reasons. Brian really knows how to wrap up a record with the last song or two.

RobJGolde likes this.
  7. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Cheers, friend!

8. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Yeah, the whole “And I will never know the town...” section features some of my favorite lyrics and imagery he’s ever written.

Barresi, ECV, RJ Knorr and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jdaniels

Regular

YES.
    I have the open all night jacket. I absolutely love this song.

Barresi likes this.
  10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Just ordered this and Painkillers on vinyl off Amazon for $35 total.

airik625 likes this.
  11. Agreed—that end section of Open All Night “and I will never know the town where you finally settled down” is top tier Brian lyricism

12. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

"Open All Night" has to be in my top ten Fallon because I've been wearing this hat almost every day for a year and a half.

[​IMG]

Joe4th, Jdaniels and CarpetElf like this.
  13. Jdaniels

Regular

Like my jacket!

Barresi likes this.
  14. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I never knew there was a jacket. Got a pic?

15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

It's. Just. So. Beautiful. The art prints that came with it are awesome too. Gotta make a nice collage with those. DWRr7VmVoAEPRL8.jpg

airik625, AshlandATeam and RJ Knorr like this.
  16. eagles1139

Regular

Revisited Sink or Swim for the first time in a while and yeah I stand by ranking it above Handwritten. It has some of Brian's best lyrics which is incredible given how young in his career he was.

"I was gonna get this real big engine,
    I was gonna get them broadway stars.
    You were gonna be Judy Garland,
    We were gonna share your tin man heart."

Barresi and Zac Djamoos like this.
  17. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

The 59 Sound
    Handwritten
    Elsie
    American Slang
    Sink or Swim
    Painkillers
    Get Hurt

But I like them all.

I will say I haven't heard Handwritten on vinyl and was shocked when I read Too Much Blood opened the second side. Always assumed it closed the first then the second breezed in with Howl.
    Not sure how I feel. On one hand it would break up Keepsake and Too Much Blood which is the most controversial section of the album. On the other hand I like both those songs a lot and feel like they would close the first side really well...

Jdaniels likes this.
  18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

59 Sound
    Sleepwalkers
    American Slang
    Painkillers
    Handwritten
    Sink Or Swim
    Elsie
    Get Hurt

Love all of them apart from Get Hurt(but even that has some good songs)

19. Jdaniels

Regular

Idk how to put my picture on here

20. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Turn you phone to landscape mode. Click more options. The attachment button is the paper clip icon

Jdaniels likes this.
  21. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Gonna have to do this although I might just buy them both from him at the Beachland show

22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So bummed that it’s sold out.

23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I’m pretty surprised he went there again since he sold it out last time (especially the same night Against Me was in town)

But I went to AM! So I’m stoked to see him this time

24. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I'll be honest, I was never a Gaslight or Brian Fallon listener, but I checked out this new album and dug a few songs on it a lot.

I think my favorites are

- If your prayers don't get to heaven
    - sleepwalkers
    - Forget me not
    - See you on the other side

25. abw123

Trusted

Direct quote from my 13 year old son:

"Dad, of all the terrible music you listen to, this See You On The Other Side song is by far the most catchy."