Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers (February 9, 2018) Album • Page 40

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Shrek, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i kinda love how the tour routing worked out for, like, the DC and NYC dates of the solo tour versus the 59 Sound Shows. Brian plays Brooklyn solo a month to the day before the Gov Ball set. DC had similar luck. gonna be a wonderful spoiled summer

Heart likes this.
  2. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Just realized that Brian is playing in Denver on my birthday and I'm going to be in town with friends. Sadly, none of them listen to Brian or any music remotely close to rock *facepalm*.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

If it didn't say that it comes with download... Well, you have no argument. Doesn't matter how many records you but elsewhere and got downloads, you aren't owed anything.

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Etta James is probably my favorite track on this.

5. abw123

Trusted

People with See You On The Other Side so low is baffling to me.......one of the best slow songs he's ever written in my estimation, and one of the best choruses on the album too.

I love Open All Night to death and I see that on a lot of "overall top 10 lists"........I think See You On The Other Side is superior to Open All Night and probably to Have Mercy as well.

Maybe some people think it's not complex enough, similar to Break Your Heart ?? It's simple and it's perfect.

Just my 2 cents.

6. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Doesn't mean it's not a bullshit tactic that they probably did on purpose to get people to spend the extra money on the mp3s. It's such an accepted practice now that it's assumed it does come with it. It'd be like if you bought a ticket to a movie and it didn't come with a seat. Your movie ticket didn't say that you got a seat, so you have no argument.

7. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

This isn't out of the norm for Brian Fallon though. His RSD releases never saw digital release or came with an DL code. I don't think the bonus songs on Painkillers did either (I could be wrong about this.)

Overall though, not surprising.

RJ Knorr likes this.
  8. Shrek

i mean, if i spent big bucks on a deluxe vinyl, i'd prob just find a rip online for MP3s and wouldn't feel bad about it.

Jason Tate and RJ Knorr like this.
  9. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

No but that's understandable. The point of RSD is that it's only available physically. There was definitely a download with Painkillers.

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I don't even know why I am responding, that argument is one of the worst I have ever seen. That comparison is so embarrassingly off-base that I'm just going to end the conversation here.

11. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

When a purchase comes with something almost 100% of the time, you should mention it when it doesn't. Sure, there's no strict obligation to do so, but it's the halfway decent thing to mention. Also, please don't be rude.

12. abw123

Trusted

Sink of Swim was released on May 29, 2007. So that means this man has released 8 stone-cold classic albums in the span of just under 11 years. Who the hell else EVER can claim that?? And yes, both SOS and Get Hurt are stone-cold classics in my book.

Bruce's first 8 albums (and his best stretch) went from 1/73 to 10/87, so that's about 15 years.

Petty's best stretch in my opinion is Damn the Torpedoes through Wildflowers, that's also 8 albums in 15 years and most would NOT consider Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) a classic......

I realize BF has not had nearly the cultural or commercial impact of those 2 artists, but serious question, who can compare to this 8 album run in terms of consistent quality, and how many more great albums does he have left in him at age 37? We can reasonably probably expect 4-5 more albums in the next 10 years from him, right ???

My god, the man is an absolute monster.

DannyZach and Shrek like this.
  13. Shrek

certainly the most powerful songwriter i've ever heard, past or present. that statement is laden with personal bias and circumstance, as all art should be.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  14. abw123

Trusted

Of course, as is mine.

As far as I'm concerned, he's the all-time best. And he's hopefully got a lot left in him.

Shrek likes this.
  15. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Neil Young from 1966-1977 released 13 albums, which include all-timers like Deja Vu, Time Fades Away, Harvest, After the Gold Rush, and all three Buffalo Springfield albums.

Jeff Tweedy's eight albums from 1990-2001 are pretty good - from No Depression to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

REM nine albums from 1983 to 1994 (Murmur to Monster) is one of the best runs of all time.

He's certainly one of the very few of his contemporaries who are on this level.

16. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I got choked up when I first heard "See You on the Other Side". Such a beautiful song. I can't say if I think it's superior to Open All Night yet though, but both songs hit me at just the right time. Open All Night hit me when I was getting over someone I was seeing who ended things pretty awfully. With See You On The Other Side, I'm now dating someone who I want to spend the rest of my life with and they feel the same way. So for me, it's interesting the 180 I've done between Brian Fallon albums haha

Heart, RJ Knorr and Alba like this.
  17. abw123

Trusted

Great answer. I won't quibble much with your answers, I'm a casual Neil Young and Wilco fan but I believe you.

As for REM, yes, certainly that passes muster, although I personally don't LOVE their first 4 albums overall as much as most people do. In the court of popular opinion I would agree though on REM. Also that's 9 albums in 11.5 years so even more impressive than the 8.

18. abw123

Trusted

And for the record, I also think New Adventures in Hi-Fi (1996) is incredible, so that would be 10 classics in 13.5 years. Not sure others would agree with this take though. That album is criminally underrated.

19. abw123

Trusted

And lastly, man, do I miss REM

20. Sal Paradise

Trusted

If you think vinyl comes with a download almost 100 percent of the time, you've really lucked out. In my experience it's been maybe 50-60 percent, and I'm not sure if harassing their customer service team about something that was never stated to be included is a great use of your time.

21. I’m right there with you on this. Wish you well and hope it works out that way for both of us.

RobJGolde and RJ Knorr like this.
  22. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Etta James is everything.

RobJGolde likes this.
  23. abw123

Trusted

Also interesting the 180 that BF has done himself in terms of his own state of mind / relationships, between those 2 songs.

Heart and RobJGolde like this.
  24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I like "Open All Night" more, personally. The bridge and closing sections really do it for me.

RobJGolde likes this.
  25. abw123

Trusted

The bridge in Open All Night is insane.

"Made a wreck of myself, with the headlights on"

RobJGolde likes this.