Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Brian Fallon - Painkillers (March 11, 2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

My guess is that they'll make another record someday. Right now, though, I'm honestly more excited about his solo stuff/the prospect of an Elsie Part II. Get Hurt is fine, but aside from Sink or Swim, it's my least favorite Fallon record by a pretty wide margin. A lot of great songs, but it is less than the sum of its parts as a record, IMO.

callumnmacleod likes this.
  2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

I really hope he pushes Among Other Foolish Things as a single. That song has been stuck in my head since Friday

4. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I've listened to this a couple times and my first impression of it is more positive than my early impressions of the past two Gaslight releases. "Rosemary" is an standout, but I find little bits of a number of songs getting stuck in my head throughout the day, which is usually a sign that I'm going to get really into an album.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Brian Fallon is my favorite type of white people.

KRKrummy, Jason Tate and Meerkat like this.
  6. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

When I hear people say "safe" I translate that to "simple," which is what he wanted. Really like the album and I hope we get another one before Gaslight comes back.

7. Peachfuzz

I'll be with you the whole way.

And there were things that I did, just so I could feel anything.

Rosemary is my new crush from this album. The verses make me think a lot about Josephine from Frank Turner, in a good way.

8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Bought my tickets this past Friday for the new batch of dates that were announced. Does anyone know if Catherine is back, or is she still out?

9. Ben Lee

"Everybody hurts and mine ain't the worst but it's mine and I'm feeling it now"

That one resonated with me.

Peachfuzz likes this.
  10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I think, for me, he's started to go the Dan Campbell/TWY route where he's been singing about the same topics with the same distinct lyrical style for so long that it's just losing me. I'm a huge fan of the last couple Gaslight albums but didn't find this interesting in the least, so hopefully it's just an anomaly and not a sign of my interest waning.

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think there's this sense of wisdom and world weariness to Painkillers that hasn't been there in his previous material. It's not a departure, per se, but it feels to me like he's looking back at The '59 Sound from a new perspective. I personally didn't find it stale at all.

12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I don't find most of it stale, but the similarities between this lyrical passage from Selected Poems, "And all I seemed to find is that everything has chains.
    And all this life just feels like a series of dreams," And this one from Steve McQueen,
    "Cause this life is only chains
    It's nothing like the colors in my dreams," definitely stand out to me.

13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'll have to listen again thinking about this

14. delvec19

Trusted

Georgia EP came out today for RSD. Assuming these were the B-Sides to Painkillers. Pretty solid 3 songs. Tin Pan Alley is older one that he had on a split with Chuck Ragan. Have loved Low Love since he played it at the solo show I went to. But will he ever officially release "The Blues Mary"?

15. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Same, always thought that was a great line.

16. Ben Lee

Picked up Georgia this morning! Really like it!

17. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Did yours come with a download? Mine didn't have one. I've already listened to the 10" a couple times but I'd love to be able to play these songs in my car.

18. Don't mind me, just sobbing to Low Love.

RSD release is amazing. Constantly reaffirming that Brian can do no wrong.

19. Ben Lee

No download here. I'm sure that's to keep it exclusive and off the web until he does a digital download. Definitely feels more special.

20. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

I do like the specialness of it, but I feel like if I pay for a record I should be able to have it digitally as well. Hopefully they go up soon.

21. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Snagged one as well. Pricier than I was expecting.

22. Rico Suave

If anyone has the bonus 7" and RSD tracks to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

As for this album itself, it's better than the last Gaslight record. But that's not really saying much, is it?

23. Get Hurt still rules, just sayin'

24. funsaimandignite

If somebody wants to sell the Georgia 10", feel free to PM me.

25. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

Georgia is available online at Vintage Vinyl